Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL better penalize Browns
Just watched a AJ McCarron interview he said his agent said it was a done deal. Then he said the paperwork was turned in too late meaning the Cleveland Browns turned the paperwork in but it was too late. AJ agent said he appealed it but the appeal was rejected. So it sounds like Cleveland screwed up but the NFL also blocked a trade that could of helped one of their kicking boy teams with 0 wins.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 12:35 PM)Lionel Hutz Wrote: Which is why the Bengals get shafted here.  They had fleeced the Browns and were led to believe the deal was complete as the Browns confirmed trade to them by email.  What if Bengals had another deal (very unlikely, I know) for McCarron that got nixed b/c of buyer's remorse of Browns and resultant expiration of trade deadline?

That's part of the game man. 
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 12:38 PM)jj22 Wrote: This is all Fake News. Browns have made over 10 trades in last 2 years. They know what they are doing. League isn't going to come between an issue involving their front office and Hue. Hue wanted McCarron. The Front Office clearly didn't.

There's no ineptness. They have far more experience with trades then the Bengals do.

There is that one possibility that Hue wanted McCarron for next season.....but on hearing the trade the owner said, " you are assuming Hue is going to still be here next season ". .....but the news story is Cleveland was celebrating getting McCarron so much that they forgot to send the trade in to NFL Office. I believe that because Browns still looking for QB and McCarron probably better than any QB in 2018 draft because a lot of the top QBs are having not very good college seasons. The Browns with #1 pick in draft could trade down in 1 and get a 2 or a 3 back. I believe the story they celebrated and forgot to send the trade in. I can see that happening. " I thought you phoned it in ". " No, I thought you phoned it in ".
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Maybe if they never traded before. But they have tons of trading experience. They know the routine.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Sure, the NFL should punish the Browns for what appears to be intentionally botching the agreed to trade, but they won't.   Why not?  Because nobody cares about the Browns and Bengals.  They are essentially a couple of small market thorns in the side of the NFL, that is obligated to cut them in equally on revenue sharing, despite their relatively small fan bases.

Now, if this were say, The Eagles screwing the Cowboys on a deal, this would be bigger news than Monica Lewinsky and the Blue dress.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 12:38 PM)jj22 Wrote: This is all Fake News. Browns have made over 10 trades in last 2 years. They know what they are doing. League isn't going to come between an issue involving their front office and Hue. Hue wanted McCarron. The Front Office clearly didn't.

There's no ineptness. They have far more experience with trades then the Bengals do.

A "clerical error" is just a convenient excuse. Someone in the chain of command there did not want this deal to go down. And whoever it was is a smart person. That deal would have been a lopsided one in favor of the Bengals. We would have gotten a second (likely pick #33) and a third for a guy who doesn't play for us, who we got for a 5th round pick, and who we already have his replacement (Driskel) on the roster. 

The Bengals clearly do not feel the same about McCarron as many fans do. They were willing to let him go to a division rival. You don't do that if you think he is the next Brady and he will hurt you twice a year. They must see something in practice that told them it was fine to let him go to a team in our division. You can bet they would never have let Palmer be traded to a team in our division.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 07:19 PM)Beaker Wrote: A "clerical error" is just a convenient excuse. Someone in the chain of command there did not want this deal to go down. And whoever it was is a smart person. That deal would have been a lopsided one in favor of the Bengals. We would have gotten a second (likely pick #33) and a third for a guy who doesn't play for us, who we got for a 5th round pick, and who we already have his replacement (Driskel) on the roster. 

The Bengals clearly do not feel the same about McCarron as many fans do. They were willing to let him go to a division rival. You don't do that if you think he is the next Brady and he will hurt you twice a year. They must see something in practice that told them it was fine to let him go to a team in our division. You can bet they would never have let Palmer be traded to a team in our division.

I agree, it wasn't an oopsie moment. 
Reply/Quote
I just find it hard to believe that the NFL didn't approve the deal after an appeal. I mean, c'mon, what's the big deal??
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 09:39 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: I just find it hard to believe that the NFL didn't approve the deal after an appeal. I mean, c'mon, what's the big deal??

Because the league, if it has any sense at all, doesn't want to set a precedent for this sort of thing. If the Browns/Bengals get away with it, do you think half the teams in the league won't try it? Like somebody mentioned upthread, ruling between the Browns and Bengals isn't a big deal, but ruling between New England and Dallas could get mighty awkward for the NFL.
Reply/Quote
A source from the Browns told me that Sashi intentionally delayed the trade because he didn't think AJ was worth it. ALSO there was a 3rd pick involved, a 2019 2nd RD pick. So yea that would have been sweet for us.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 09:53 PM)snowy Wrote: Because the league, if it has any sense at all, doesn't want to set a precedent for this sort of thing. If the Browns/Bengals get away with it, do you think half the teams in the league won't try it? Like somebody mentioned upthread, ruling between the Browns and Bengals isn't a big deal, but ruling between New England and Dallas could get mighty awkward for the NFL.

Minutes after a deal is made with proof that the sides agreed to a deal prior to 4pm? League needs to have some common sense, but alas, we know it doesn't.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 11:26 PM)TKUHL Wrote: A source from the Browns told me that Sashi intentionally delayed the trade because he didn't think AJ was worth it. ALSO there was a 3rd pick involved, a 2019 2nd RD pick. So yea that would have been sweet for us.

Holy crap. If that deal was the real one, I would have cut the electricity off to the whole city of Cleveland if I was Sashi.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 12:03 PM)Lionel Hutz Wrote: Reports coming out of Cleveland now that the Browns are the ones who screwed the McCarron trade up.  Speculation is that front office may have intentionally botched the trade b/c it was Hue Jackson and Jimmy Haslam that were pushing the trade after Garroppolo was gone.  The Bengals are now left in awkward position of having to keep McCarron (let the pouting commence) and every other competent team in the league knowing their asking price.  

With the Browns' current regime having completed numerous trades, they cant feign ignorance as to the trade procedure. NFL needs to take a draft pick or two away from Cleveland to discourage future shenanigans. I felt a little bad for Browns fans before yesterday, but after seeing a lot of their fans on twitter praising their front office for botching this deal, screw them and their pathetic franchise.

How do you really penalize the Browns?  They're the Browns.  They could take away a bunch of their draft picks, but it's not like they'll actually get any worse.  The fans in Cleveland would honestly be better off if the team moved and they got another expansion team.  Penalizing them is like giving a guy a speeding ticket when he stuffed his car into a guardrail doing 90 mph and will be stuck in a wheelchair the rest of his life.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 11:45 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Minutes after a deal is made with proof that the sides agreed to a deal prior to 4pm? League needs to have some common sense, but alas, we know it doesn't.

A deadline is a deadline, otherwise it is a suggested time. It's called being responsible.
Reply/Quote
Good Ol Hue... Willing to pay to much for one of our QBs... . So next season Hue as the Offensive Quality Coach for the bengals?
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 02:10 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: The Dayton Browngals.

And this is our mascot
[Image: LsIsv.jpg]

The Dayton Douchebags
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Really a contract is not official until all the paperwork is done. If you're at the car dealer and say you'd like to buy a car and change your mind and leave...is it a sale? Or is it a sale after you do the paperwork?

The Browns shouldn't be penalized.
Reply/Quote
The Browns almost certainly stalled on purpose. Only time will tell who was the right but would have really liked those high picks to help OL.

But the Browns are the Browns, that is penalty enough.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 11:26 PM)TKUHL Wrote: A source from the Browns told me that Sashi intentionally delayed the trade because he didn't think AJ was worth it. ALSO there was a 3rd pick involved, a 2019 2nd RD pick. So yea that would have been sweet for us.

I dont understand this logic though. Why didn't he just tell them no to begin with? Were they planning it without him? Were they trying to trade without him knowing it?
Reply/Quote
The crappiest part was that those 2nd and 3rd round picks were likely going to be the 1st picks in those rounds. We were screwed by the Browns incompetence.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote