Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL.com "AJ McCarron a better trade target than Garoppolo?"
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000786482/article/aj-mccarron-a-better-trade-target-than-garoppolo

Quote:"I wouldn't feel good about making a major commitment to any of these quarterbacks," one executive explained. "If I had to choose one, I would go after McCarron. Ideally, you get him for a late second- or early third-round pick. Then, if it doesn't work out, you draft a QB in 2018."

Another executive said he would target McCarron over Garoppolo if his team couldn't land a proven quarterback.

The obvious small sample-size caveats apply here. That said, the results still come as a surprise considering Garoppolo's substantial edge in draft pedigree (second round vs. fifth round) and limited game film.

One point in McCarron's favor? Because he spent the majority of his rookie season on the non-football injury (NFI) list, he won't reach unrestricted free agency for two more years. Garoppolo's rookie contract, on the other hand, expires after next season.

Interesting. Late 2nd or early 3rd appears to be McCarron's value. I'd prefer to have an early 3rd and 4th vs a late 2nd in this draft. Too many team needs and the meat of this draft seems to be in the 2nd through top of 4th rounds. Maybe my idea of McCarron to Chicago for their 3rd and both 4ths would be on point, after all, if the Bengals tossed in a some of their 5th and 6th round picks.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
I just hope whoever gets him doesn't face any teams that play zone defense..... :)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I hope we could get that for him. It would be pretty awesome honestly.
Reply/Quote
2nd this year and conditional 3rd next year that can turn into a 2nd if he starts and wins 8 games 1st if he starts and wins 11 games.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2017, 12:31 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: 2nd this year and conditional 3rd next year that can turn into a 2nd if he starts and wins 8 games 1st if he starts and wins 11 games.

Or at least something of this nature. A solid 2nd round pick floor for this year and the conditions based on starts and stats aren't as important, leave that to the businessmen. I think there's a decent chance we unload him before April.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2017, 12:34 AM)treee Wrote: I think there's a decent chance we unload him before April.

Ummmmmm. NO!

[Image: MikeBrown.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2017, 12:48 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Ummmmmm. NO!

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2017, 12:48 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Ummmmmm. NO!

Damn, i never noticed how much he looks like an elderly tweety bird.

[Image: d8f2ef60562cb046cfc344e0212a01b5.jpg]

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
I'd be ecstatic to get a second and satisfied to get a 3rd. If they really passed on a 2 and a 4, then they're morons IMO.
Reply/Quote
Not sure if anyone saw these or I'd it matters but it's all from Chicago......
http://dawindycity.com/2017/02/12/chicago-bears-bengals-aj-mccarron/

http://sportsnaut.com/2017/02/bill-polian-aj-mccarron-better-qb-2017-nfl-draft/

https://www.google.com/amp/beargoggleson.com/2017/02/17/cheap-alternative-chicago-bears-quarterback/amp/
Reply/Quote
The Bengals already have enough picks for this year's draft. I'd be happy if they traded McCarron for future picks, or even a straight up swap for another promising young player such as OL, DL or LB.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Mikey will keep him as the backup QB this year. Just watch. He wants insurance if Dalton goes down.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2017, 09:46 PM)Burma Wrote: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000786482/article/aj-mccarron-a-better-trade-target-than-garoppolo

Interesting. Late 2nd or early 3rd appears to be McCarron's value. I'd prefer to have an early 3rd and 4th vs a late 2nd in this draft. Too many team needs and the meat of this draft seems to be in the 2nd through top of 4th rounds.  Maybe my idea of McCarron to Chicago for their 3rd and both 4ths would be on point, after all, if the Bengals tossed in a some of their 5th and 6th round picks.

I would not let McCarron go for anything less than a VERY early second round pick.  He is worth too much as a backup.  

I don't really love the idea of someone like the Texans suddenly having a capable QB and one that fits with their cap woes until they can cut Turd Ferguson (Osweiler).  I don't think I would take anything less than their first rounder.  

McCarron is a good guy, and I would love to see him get his shot somewhere but the value has to be right or he is staying put.  
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2017, 10:02 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The Bengals already have enough picks for this year's draft.  I'd be happy if they traded McCarron for future picks, or even a straight up swap for another promising young player such as OL, DL or LB.

That's a really good point.  A player trade and a conditional pick in 2018?  Something to that effect could be very nice, but player trades rarely happen in the NFL....although one of the best trades the Bengals ever made was for Deltha O'Neal. 
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2017, 12:24 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I would not let McCarron go for anything less than a VERY early second round pick.  He is worth too much as a backup.  

I don't really love the idea of someone like the Texans suddenly having a capable QB and one that fits with their cap woes until they can cut Turd Ferguson (Osweiler).  I don't think I would take anything less than their first rounder.  

McCarron is a good guy, and I would love to see him get his shot somewhere but the value has to be right or he is staying put.  

But is he, really?

He took arguably one of the best Bengals teams we've seen and beat two 5-11 teams that had Ryan Mallett and Blaine Gabbert at QB. That's not exactly game changing worth.

The Bengals were 10-2, he took over and went 2-3 (counting postseason).

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2017, 01:09 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: But is he, really?

He took arguably one of the best Bengals teams we've seen and beat two 5-11 teams that had Ryan Mallett and Blaine Gabbert at QB. That's not exactly game changing worth.

The Bengals were 10-2, he took over and went 2-3 (counting postseason).

You can look at it that way, but I can also say that if Nugent doesn't miss a FG that would have put the Bengals up 17 on the road, in Denver, that the Bengals win that game (that goes to OT) and get the #1 seed in the playoffs.  

Consider the dropoff.  We all keep talking about Andy's pending death due to the offensive line woes (although I think they will address it and I am not as much Chicken Little as some), but if Dalton goes down, I think the Bengals could still win with McCarron.  Driskell?  Uh, not so much...
Reply/Quote
I think in the current QB market McCarron is worth a 2nd or third rounder. Most of the teams that need a QB are picking in the top 10. Don't know if we can get a top 10 pick in the 2nd round for alone. Maybe AJ plus our 4th for a top 10 second round pick?

The Brown have the 18th pick in the second round, and that will be their 4th pick of the draft. I'd take that for McCarron.

But I won't pitch a fit if we keep him. A good #2 QB can be very valuable.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2017, 10:02 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The Bengals already have enough picks for this year's draft.  I'd be happy if they traded McCarron for future picks, or even a straight up swap for another promising young player such as OL, DL or LB.

There is no such thing as too many picks.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2017, 01:16 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: You can look at it that way, but I can also say that if Nugent doesn't miss a FG that would have put the Bengals up 17 on the road, in Denver, that the Bengals win that game (that goes to OT) and get the #1 seed in the playoffs.  

Consider the dropoff.  We all keep talking about Andy's pending death due to the offensive line woes (although I think they will address it and I am not as much Chicken Little as some), but if Dalton goes down, I think the Bengals could still win with McCarron.  Driskell?  Uh, not so much...

That Denver game they started playing man coverage, and McCarron tore them up, and as soon as they switched to zone, he didn't reach 6 yards per attempt the rest of the year.

We all keep talking about Andy's pending death due to offensive line woes, true. But also recall Dalton has one of the top two quickest release times in the NFL last I knew. Meanwhile McCarron took 15 sacks in just under 5 games behind an OL that only gave up 20 in the previous 12-and-change games. McCarron would have taken 100+ sacks (if he survived that long) behind the 2016 OL.

He can't read (as of last we saw) zone defenses, he is slow to get rid of the ball, and he gets happy feet with running it despite clearly not having the ability to do so (19 rushes for 40 yards). If Dalton goes down, the team is screwed. That goes double if the OL isn't improved over last season. Regardless McCarron or Driskell.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
He and Jimmy G are wasting their potential as backups. Yeah a trade does need to happen for both of them.
Happy Halloween
Reply/Quote