Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL.com has Marvin 20th in HC rankings
20) Marvin Lewis, Cincinnati Bengals

This spot is more a reflection of the direction the Bengals have been trending -- and the situation surrounding Lewis. Cincinnati's longtime head coach has yet to win a postseason game and he's logged a losing mark in each of the last two seasons. While still over .500 for his career (125-112-3 since taking over in 2003), Lewis has been afforded more organizational patience than any coach in this era. This is not to suggest that Lewis didn't completely turn around an ailing franchise that sucked throughout the '90s, but Cincy fans deserve a postseason run. Perhaps no coach needs a successful 2018 season more than Lewis.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000938541/2018-nfl-coach-rankings-bill-belichick-and-then-
Reply/Quote
I'd like to see Marvin go out with a bang and win it all. I seriously doubt anyone is more disappointed in the last several years than Marvin himself. If any one coach deserves to have his team pull off the big upset and win the SB I'd say Marvin certainly qualifies.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
So... Only the new guys, and the coach with one win rank lower than Marvin. Pretty damning I guess.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I think it's respectable, considering? However, he has a chance now to change his legacy. I hope he does. Things are going great so far.

Reply/Quote
Marvin has the lifetime deal that I wish Lebron had with the Cavs.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
About right. Shows how good of a coach he is everytime we go to the Playoffs or just play in Primetime.

Not to mention his record against a certain team in the Division.

He is good at putting a talented team together, but his coaching in games leaves much to be desired and he is not very inspiring.

Still think if the O-line is improved enough he could get that elusive Playoff win this year.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2018, 08:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: About right. Shows how good of a coach he is everytime we go to the Playoffs or just play in Primetime.

He is good at putting a talented team together, but his coaching in games leaves much to be desired and he is not very inspiring.

Still think if the O-line is improved enough he could get that elusive Playoff win this year.

I think the difference here is going to be the OC and DC. Marvin won’t be calling the plays (and he really didn’t before) and if he tries to take the foot off the gas, they will be the first to say “shut up and chill while we make you look great.”

Reply/Quote
(07-02-2018, 08:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: About right. Shows how good of a coach he is everytime we go to the Playoffs or just play in Primetime.

No doubt about needing an improved offense, starting with the line, to upright the ship. But the defense better tighten up considerably for this team to really make the run we all hope to see. Getting off the field and improved field position has got to be better, along with a consistent high intensity of play has to become the norm before we see them take control of our division, let alone our conference. 

You know - be the change we wish to see.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
He's number 1 in Mike Brown's eyes, and that's all that matters.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2018, 07:55 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I think the difference here is going to be the OC and DC. Marvin won’t be calling the plays (and he really didn’t before) and if he tries to take the foot off the gas, they will be the first to say “shut up and chill while we make you look great.”

Let's hope they take over ! I think this has been ML's biggest downfall. He's always on the cusp of pulling back on the offensive reins.

(07-03-2018, 08:23 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: No doubt about needing an improved offense, starting with the line, to upright the ship. But the defense better tighten up considerably for this team to really make the run we all hope to see. Getting off the field and improved field position has got to be better, along with a consistent high intensity of play has to become the norm before we see them take control of our conference, let alone our division. 

Right on Cats !

I'd bet we were among the league leaders in giving up 3rd and longs last season or two.
Reply/Quote
I personally think Marvin is better than 20th, but most recent results matter and Lewis has back-to-back losing seasons.

His last playoff team is ancient history in today's NFL. New coaches are rarely given more than two years to completely rebuild a loser.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2018, 12:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I personally think Marvin is better than 20th, but most recent results matter and Lewis has back-to-back losing seasons.

His last playoff team is ancient history in today's NFL.  New coaches are rarely given more than two years to completely rebuild a loser.

I'm with you Fred.  First off his body of work is pretty good, only the longevity skews the perception.  Second - the generation of losing prior to his arrival makes a bad season every now and then tolerable.  A deep playoff run fixes it all.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2018, 07:55 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I think the difference here is going to be the OC and DC. Marvin won’t be calling the plays (and he really didn’t before) and if he tries to take the foot off the gas, they will be the first to say “shut up and chill while we make you look great.”

There yah go Harley, let these guys do their jobs and let Marv stick to what he knows.

(07-03-2018, 08:23 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: No doubt about needing an improved offense, starting with the line, to upright the ship. But the defense better tighten up considerably for this team to really make the run we all hope to see. Getting off the field and improved field position has got to be better, along with a consistent high intensity of play has to become the norm before we see them take control of our conference, let alone our division. 

All true, seemed like an automatic first down every 3rd down against our D last season. This has to change, very frustrating.

With a better Offense it should keep the Defense fresher which should help big time.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2018, 12:51 PM)BengalD Wrote: I'm with you Fred.  First off his body of work is pretty good, only the longevity skews the perception.  Second - the generation of losing prior to his arrival makes a bad season every now and then tolerable.  A deep playoff run fixes it all.

marvin moves up ten spots automatically for having to placate Mike and Katie
Reply/Quote
There's some ones I don't agree with at the top. Especially Harbuagh at 5 and Gruden already at 9.

But yeah, about 20 is where I would rank Marvin too. Last year, however, was some of the worst coaching I've seen. Marvin was an awful leader last year.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
I think he's also a little underrated. He's an average NFL coach; I do appreciate the fact that he lets his OC run the show on offense for the most part.

What he lacks in is in-game coaching. If he was good at this one skill I'd have him in my top 10. The one thing I do appreciate about him is that the players tend to play hard for him and enjoy playing for him.
Reply/Quote
Agree with CB. Is he an elite NFL HC? No. Is he better than 20th? Probably. He's also very good at eyeballing and accumulating talent, both coach-wise and player-wise. His greatest flaw? A field general he is not. 
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2018, 11:18 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I think he's also a little underrated. He's an average NFL coach; I do appreciate the fact that he lets his OC run the show on offense for the most part.

What he lacks in is in-game coaching. If he was good at this one skill I'd have him in my top 10. The one thing I do appreciate about him is that the players tend to play hard for him and enjoy playing for him.

Meh, how can a guy who still can't make in-game adjustments after 17 years as a head coach be underrated?  
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2018, 12:13 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Agree with CB. Is he an elite NFL HC? No. Is he better than 20th? Probably. He's also very good at eyeballing and accumulating talent, both coach-wise and player-wise. His greatest flaw? A field general he is not. 

Our next HC is already on the team. If Marvin can hold the coaching staff together, the right guy will step in his place and he will step into GM. We just have to wait until Mike passes. Shitty scenario, but probably true.

Reply/Quote
(07-04-2018, 12:54 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, how can a guy who still can't make in-game adjustments after 17 years as a head coach be underrated?  

On the flip side you could make the case that outside of that one skill he is pretty solid at everything else. Talent evaluation, players' effort, players' respect, ability to recruit good coordinators. 

He's not a bum like some make him out to be out here. With that said I am not satisfied with average, I feel we need an above average to excellent head coach if we want to have any chance at making a super bowl run.
Reply/Quote