Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL.com prospects
https://www.nfl.com/combine/tracker/participants/

Their rankings just posted. Read thru them, if you like, by clicking on their names

Their highest ranked prospect is.......Malik Nabers. Slight surprise.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
JC Latham is Lance's top Offensive Tackle too and Lance is one of the better OL scouts in the media. I think Latham's upside as a front side run blocker will push him up boards but that doesn't really fit the Bengals offense.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Newton falling down boards is wild to me. I hope we snag him at 18.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2024, 03:51 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Newton falling down boards is wild to me. I hope we snag him at 18.

It is a touch surprising he is 3rd and behind Sweat. Surprised they have Sweat ranked 2nd overall when he is primarily just a run stopper.

A player that seems very underrated in this Draft is Kimani Vidal, dude lead the Nation in rushing and can pass protect. I know he is small, 
only 5'7" but he runs really hard and has fantastic burst and vision. I think if we could get Vidal late he would be a big time steal.

Oh, thank Goalpost for the prospect list, reps.
Reply/Quote
So much to unpack here.

JC Latham over Joe Alt is absolutely mind blowing to me. And Latham as the best Tackle is just something I completely disagree with. That said I would be very happy if someone in the top 10 wants to make that pick and allow Alt, Olu and Fuaga a better chance to fall to 18.

They have Nabers comp as Justin Jefferson which seems lazy. While Nabers is really good, ranking him over Harrison is very surprising.

Austin Booker as the 21st overall prospect is very interesting. As is Sweat over Newton, like Nate mentioned. I'm not surprised Murphy is DT 1 though. That guy is pretty incredible.

I think they are smart to be on the Jaylen Wright train before it leaves the station. I feel like he's been majorly slept on so far and they have him as RB 2. I could easily seem being the first back taken. Tyron Tracey in the Top 5 of RB's is surprising and I definitely need to watch some film on him.

They also have Erick All as TE 4 but then say in his overview, that he has "enough talent to compete for a spot as TE3 on a roster." I knew this TE class was bad but sheesh when the 4th best prospect in your rankings can barely make a roster thats a major red flag. Really hope we target Noah Fant or someone similar this year in FA.
Reply/Quote
I would be happy to see Newton taken in the 1st and Sweat in the second although I would like to draft Darius Robinson too so Im not sure how to make that happen.
Reply/Quote
The thing that stands out if you go by their rankings is the lack of depth at TE and everyone's mid-2nd round pick would be gone if Sweat really is the 2nd best DT. I hate reverse engineering mocks, I get that Sweat would be a great steal in the 2nd but it's not realistic to plan for that.

That should make TE a bigger need in FA. Even if you get an old vet on a 2 year deal, it's better than just be able to resign Hudson to compete with a mid round pick.

I never like saying they should take position X in round X, but depth wise it looks like you'll get a good OT/WR in 1, OT/DT in rd 2. Either way, have capable vet starters on the lines by the draft, they have the extra 13M to make that happen.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2024, 09:50 PM)WhoDeyK Wrote: So much to unpack here.

JC Latham over Joe Alt is absolutely mind blowing to me. And Latham as the best Tackle is just something I completely disagree with. That said I would be very happy if someone in the top 10 wants to make that pick and allow Alt, Olu and Fuaga a better chance to fall to 18.

They have Nabers comp as Justin Jefferson which seems lazy. While Nabers is really good, ranking him over Harrison is very surprising.

Austin Booker as the 21st overall prospect is very interesting. As is Sweat over Newton, like Nate mentioned. I'm not surprised Murphy is DT 1 though. That guy is pretty incredible.

I think they are smart to be on the Jaylen Wright train before it leaves the station. I feel like he's been majorly slept on so far and they have him as RB 2. I could easily seem being the first back taken. Tyron Tracey in the Top 5 of RB's is surprising and I definitely need to watch some film on him.

They also have Erick All as TE 4 but then say in his overview, that he has "enough talent to compete for a spot as TE3 on a roster." I knew this TE class was bad but sheesh when the 4th best prospect in your rankings can barely make a roster thats a major red flag. Really hope we target Noah Fant or someone similar this year in FA.

Latham's skillset shines more in college football than Joe Alt's where it's heavy run game and tons of rpo screens. NFL is a passing league where Alt and Fashanu as pass protecting Left Tackles have the higher upside. Lance also explained in a podcast somewhere he prefers Latham and Fuaga's heavy hand style over Alt and Fashanu more passive hands in pass protection. NFL has been leaning toward independent hands since mid 2000 teens though. 

The RB group is gonna be about who do you like for your offense because there isn't a standout guy. I can see rhe Bengals doubling down at TE or RB. (I said the same thing last year too and we got 1 RB.. It did show the weakness of thr groups though in 2023.)

Jer'zhan Newton had foot surgery and will miss rhe combine and maybe his Pro Day which is reflecting on thr big boards he's still DT 1A.

Thr TE group is so bad this year Theo Johnson is TE3 in some places over Cade Stover.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2024, 10:33 AM)Synric Wrote: Latham's skillset shines more in college football than Joe Alt's where it's heavy run game and tons of rpo screens. NFL is a passing league where Alt and Fashanu as pass protecting Left Tackles have the higher upside. Lance also explained in a podcast somewhere he prefers Latham and Fuaga's heavy hand style over Alt and Fashanu more passive hands in pass protection. NFL has been leaning toward independent hands since mid 2000 teens though. 

The RB group is gonna be about who do you like for your offense because there isn't a standout guy. I can see rhe Bengals doubling down at TE or RB. (I said the same thing last year too and we got 1 RB.. It did show the weakness of thr groups though in 2023.)

Jer'zhan Newton had foot surgery and will miss rhe combine and maybe his Pro Day which is reflecting on thr big boards he's still DT 1A.

Thr TE group is so bad this year Theo Johnson is TE3 in some places over Cade Stover.

Next years TE group looks pretty bleak too.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2024, 11:06 AM)Synric Wrote: JC Latham is Lance's top Offensive Tackle too and Lance is one of the better OL scouts in the media. I think Latham's upside as a front side run blocker will push him up boards but that doesn't really fit the Bengals offense.

My two favorites at #18 are Latham and Fuaga, i think one will be there at #18 and hope go that route
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2024, 02:44 AM)phil413 Wrote: The thing that stands out if you go by their rankings is the lack of depth at TE and everyone's mid-2nd round pick would be gone if Sweat really is the 2nd best DT. I hate reverse engineering mocks, I get that Sweat would be a great steal in the 2nd but it's not realistic to plan for that.

That should make TE a bigger need in FA. Even if you get an old vet on a 2 year deal, it's better than just be able to resign Hudson to compete with a mid round pick.

I never like saying they should take position X in round X, but depth wise it looks like you'll get a good OT/WR in 1, OT/DT in rd 2. Either way, have capable vet starters on the lines by the draft, they have the extra 13M to make that happen.

I think we look TE in FA for 3rd straight year but might take a flyer on Dallin Holker in later rounds
Reply/Quote
Always look forward to their ratings.

Some thoughts:

They have Erick All higher and Ben Stinnot lower than most

They have my man Kingsley Suan way down the pecking order

They have Kris Jenkins higher than most and I dig it

They have McKinnley Jackson lower than most and I don't dig it

They have fine fav Braelon Allen way down
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2024, 11:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Always look forward to their ratings.

Some thoughts:

They have Erick All higher and Ben Stinnot lower than most

They have my man Kingsley Suan way down the pecking order

They have Kris Jenkins higher than most and I dig it

They have McKinnley Jackson lower than most and I don't dig it

They have fine fav Braelon Allen way down
I would still go after Allen. The write up said the 2023 offense schemed changed, new coaching staff, and didn't suit him. The entire RB class doesn't look that impressive.
Reply/Quote
These are the first established base evaluations exclusively from game footage? I suspect that those numbers may rise and fall a little when all of the measurable date is compiled from the combine and Pro days.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Just doing an exercise in their grading....and how many players fall in each category

8.0 perfect... 0 players
7.3-7.5 perennial all pro....0 players
7.0-7.1 pro bowl talent....0 players
6.7-6.9 year 1 starter...9 players
6.5-6.6 boom or bust potential...3 players
6.4-6.49 good starter within 2 years..17 players
6.3-6.39 eventually a plus starter...19 players
6.2-6.29 average starter...35 players
6.1-6.19 good back up to potentially develop and start...61 players
6.0-6.09 talent to be above average back up...10 players
5.8-5.99 average back up or special teamer...117 players
5.6-5.69 bottom of roster or practice squad...49 players
5.5-5.59 undrafted FA 1 player

I would consider this grading system harsh but there is probably past documentation/data to support it. Only 48 players in the 'eventually a plus starter' and higher categories...so... it says you can't afford to miss on rounds 1-2 to get an impactful starter. To me it might vary by position though, as we know RB's almost start out a round lower to begin with anymore. Also, on the high end, you would think there would be 'pro bowl talent' in this draft.
Reply/Quote
Very interesting that JPJ is only the third highest ranked IOL behind Barton and Beebe. I think many have been underestimating the length issue with him.

Newton sliding isn't surprising given his recent ankle surgery. Personally, I wouldn't spend a first on damaged goods.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2024, 01:46 PM)Whatever Wrote: Very interesting that JPJ is only the third highest ranked IOL behind Barton and Beebe.  I think many have been underestimating the length issue with him.  

Newton sliding isn't surprising given his recent ankle surgery.  Personally, I wouldn't spend a first on damaged goods.

Is it really a length issue?  I mean they haven't done those measurements yet, the only info they have are height and weight from the Sr. Bowl or whatever they were listed as on their CFB roster.  The film analysis on JPJ leans more toward not enough time as the Starter at his position, and what few technical flaws they touch on can be cleaned up with playing time.  He's still the 3rd highest rated interior OL, and the #2 Center prospect.  I would have no issue with him being drafted in the 2nd round.

Bottom line is the guy is tough, strong, has great footwork and is good at executing double teams and combo blocks. All qualities that we would look for in an AFCN Center.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2024, 02:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Is it really a length issue?  I mean they haven't done those measurements yet, the only info they have are height and weight from the Sr. Bowl or whatever they were listed as on their CFB roster.  The film analysis on JPJ leans more toward not enough time as the Starter at his position, and what few technical flaws they touch on can be cleaned up with playing time.  He's still the 3rd highest rated interior OL, and the #2 Center prospect.  I would have no issue with him being drafted in the 2nd round.

Bottom line is the guy is tough, strong, has great footwork and is good at executing double teams and combo blocks.  All qualities that we would look for in an AFCN Center.
They get measured at the Senior Bowl Weigh-In:
https://www.the33rdteam.com/2024-senior-bowl-weigh-in-measurement-results-for-nfl-prospects/

JPJ has T-Rex arms
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2024, 02:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Is it really a length issue?  I mean they haven't done those measurements yet, the only info they have are height and weight from the Sr. Bowl or whatever they were listed as on their CFB roster.  The film analysis on JPJ leans more toward not enough time as the Starter at his position, and what few technical flaws they touch on can be cleaned up with playing time.  He's still the 3rd highest rated interior OL, and the #2 Center prospect.  I would have no issue with him being drafted in the 2nd round.

Bottom line is the guy is tough, strong, has great footwork and is good at executing double teams and combo blocks.  All qualities that we would look for in an AFCN Center.

I'm a lightweight evaluating true talent.  But I loved his highlights.   He not only gets to the 2nd level, but he makes devastating contact there, not sliding off his mark.  He does a great job of chipping one lineman out of the play then driving his primary mark out, making a huge hole.   If he gets hold of you with his hands, you will be going where he wants you.  Even when his arms are fully extended he whips players out of the way.

I LOVE this guy.   I'd take him at 18 with no problem.   If he's as good as I think he is (very questionable I'll admit), I'd take him in a heartbeat.   Look what a difference Larry Allen made from his interior spot (no I'm not comparing him to Allen).  It's just whatever we can do to solidify the core of the pocket for Burrow and whoever is running the ball is just as important to me than solidifying the right edge.

He's my '24 man crush.   I don't see him making it to 49.  I'm not sure he makes it to 32.

But I'll own my lack of real knowledge.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2024, 06:34 PM)3wt Wrote: I'm a lightweight evaluating true talent.  But I loved his highlights.   He not only gets to the 2nd level, but he makes devastating contact there, not sliding off his mark.  He does a great job of chipping one lineman out of the play then driving his primary mark out, making a huge hole.   If he gets hold of you with his hands, you will be going where he wants you.  Even when his arms are fully extended he whips players out of the way.

I LOVE this guy.   I'd take him at 18 with no problem.   If he's as good as I think he is (very questionable I'll admit), I'd take him in a heartbeat.   Look what a difference Larry Allen made from his interior spot (no I'm not comparing him to Allen).  It's just whatever we can do to solidify the core of the pocket for Burrow and whoever is running the ball is just as important to me than solidifying the right edge.

He's my '24 man crush.   I don't see him making it to 49.  I'm not sure he makes it to 32.

But I'll own my lack of real knowledge.

Yes, when watching Powers-Johnson I don't see him being another Billy Price even with the short arms.
Reply/Quote