Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL.com's Gregg Rosenthal loves our off season..
(03-18-2019, 05:42 PM)Beaker Wrote: But the Bengals are cheap. How do you overpay if you're cheap?

Let's just call weak talent as cheap talent or at least should be cheap talent.

How does overpaying for cheap talent make the team un-cheap?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
The Bobby Hart deal is the only thing I have a beef with so far this off season. Also if Dennard wants 10+ million a year, I say goodbye and good luck.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 08:47 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Let's just call weak talent as cheap talent or at least should be cheap talent.

How does overpaying for cheap talent make the team un-cheap?

If anything it's overpaying because of laziness to pursue other better options if you want to get technical.

You can overpay low level talent and still be considered overall cheap.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 08:47 PM)BengalChris Wrote: How does overpaying for cheap talent make the team un-cheap?

Because you can't be cheap and overpay at the same time.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 08:53 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: The Bobby Hart deal is the only thing I have a beef with so far this off season. Also if Dennard wants 10+ million a year, I say goodbye and good luck.

Yeah 10 mill for an okay CB who has reached his ceiling with below average career numbers can probably be had at a lower rate.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 08:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Because you can't be cheap and overpay at the same time.

So if a guy buys a Ford Pinto, that is only worth scrap metal prices, and pays $20,000 for it then he's not cheap even though he just bought a cheap arse PoS.

I get it. So we can't call Mike Brown cheap then. I guess we can call him stupid with overpaid cheap talent though.

Reply/Quote
I mean, most of the Bengals' contracts this off season have been objectively terrible, but eh.

You have to overpay to get players to play on a team that looks like it has no direction with aging stars, no elite QB and a rookie/inexperienced coaching staff that were arguably only hired due to lack of options.

If we have success over the next few years, maybe soon we can compete for actual free agents.
Reply/Quote
Even if what he says is true, it's tough to take anything Gregg Rosenthal says about the Bengals seriously.

You may as well quote a Steelers fan from Smack.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 08:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Because you can't be cheap and overpay at the same time.

You can think you're being frugal while actually paying too much.

Kinda like my mother-in-law at Kohl's. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
What bothers me is that it looks like the plan isn’t really a plan. It just looks all over the place. They do their traditional sign your own guys first. It wasn’t a big deal if any of those guys were lost. Outside guys should have been targeted first, with some kind of a plan. They did bring back the LB who will essentially be like getting a new player, as long as he’s healthy. I don’t think they even target outside guys before Free Agency starts. I think that they wait a couple of days till the better players are taken. If you are going to overpay, why not gamble on some new blood vs. a Hart that you’ve gotten to see suck first hand? The team is just rarely managed correctly. I do give them props for moving on from VB, it was time.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 08:47 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: The Bobby Hart deal is stupid. I don't need an article and Bengal defenders to tell me otherwise.

The guy was terrible on the Giants and continued his crappiness here.

The track record speaks for itself.

To make an omelette you gotta break some eggs... It all comes together for Bobby "Mouth of the South" Hart this year.

A man can hope... No?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 05:50 PM)jj22 Wrote: Gregg hates us. But he's right. Some of these players (Hart, Webb) never made more than vet minimum.

And everyone knows the Bills line was one of the rare ones that were worse then us, so signing Miller isn't going to gain any praise outside of the jungle.

Over the past two offseasons the Bengals have raided two of the o-lines (Bills, Giants) arguably worse than their own. I imagine Arizona’s is next. Not a recipe for success.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote

Actually, you can. Refusing to sign top tier and decent talent relegates the team to high draft pick underachievers, past prime guys, guys coming off injuries, 1 year flyers, and bargain basement players. Those players can all be overpaid, as were Hart, Webb, and Miller.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 05:50 PM)jj22 Wrote: Gregg hates us. But he's right. Some of these players (Hart, Webb) never made more than vet minimum.

And everyone knows the Bills line was one of the rare ones that were worse then us, so signing Miller isn't going to gain any praise outside of the jungle.

Hart made more than the minimum last year. He was a 3 year vet, the 3yr vet minimum for 2018 was 705k, the Bengals paid him 1.05 mil. Not much of a difference, but 48.94% above the minimum nonetheless. 
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 04:56 PM)McC Wrote: None of those contracts are high.  Look around the league.  And if he ends up being wrong, what are the chances he owns it?  Right between slim and none.

Exactly.  And people need to stop making Hart out to be Ced Ogbuehi.  He isn't.  He isn't a Pro Bowl talent, either, but at 24 years of age (he turns 25 at the beginning of the season) and the way the team was able to run the ball behind him and Redmond gives me a lot more optimism than the revolving door as he is being described.

Regardless, a lot of other teams have "won the offseason" (See Browns, Cleveland) and that is great, but not one of their moves counts as a win during the season.  If for no other reason, I am intrigued by this team because they FINALLY have a younger, more innovative coaching staff.  I love Marv for what he did here, but his time here should have ended a long time ago.  I have long argued that we had the talent but the coaches handcuff the team with their predictable, conservative nature.  They were also, well, boring to watch.  An offense that rarely took shots down the field and a defense that played off zone coverage that gave up easy plays underneath all day long (at least until a long overdue change in scheme at the end of the year, when the season was over).

We should be used to the talking heads taking shots at the Bengals, and yes, they have now strung together three straight below .500 seasons so the "we made the playoffs five straight years" narrative is done.  What have they done for us lately?  Nothing.  However, they have a strong roster with a few key holes:  LB (would be a lot different if Tez was still playing like his prime) and DT (need someone to step up next to Geno or draft Dexter Lawrence).  The offensive line isn't great, but I don't see it as the disaster most are making it out to be.  Those two issues on the defense can and should be addressed and this team can be right back in the thick of things.  
Reply/Quote
So there's this narrative going around that they felt like the options at RT in free agency were going to be too expensive and they don't like any of the RT prospects at number 11 in the draft and this is why they locked down Bobby Hart so early. Im not buying that shit at all. This was just a lazy move by the front office who probably havent done any scouting at all on the possible free agents and rookie prospects. We could have gotten better at the position without signing a guy like Juwan James to a huge deal, hell theres probably still free agents out there who would be improvements. If we didnt sign Bobby Hart he would still be on the market right now or back here at a much better deal for us. If he ended up some where else then oh well not a big loss. Im not mad that we resigned Hart but i felt like we went at this the wrong way. It was just piss poor management and then they tried to make excuses like there weren't other options out there that they felt comfortable paying for.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 10:49 PM)jason Wrote: To make an omelette you gotta break some eggs... It all comes together for Bobby "Mouth of the South" Hart this year.

A man can hope... No?

You can piss into the wind and hope to not get wet, but you'll be betting (hoping) against the odds.

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 07:57 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Exactly.  And people need to stop making Hart out to be Ced Ogbuehi.  He isn't.  He isn't a Pro Bowl talent, either, but at 24 years of age (he turns 25 at the beginning of the season) and the way the team was able to run the ball behind him and Redmond gives me a lot more optimism than the revolving door as he is being described.

Regardless, a lot of other teams have "won the offseason" (See Browns, Cleveland) and that is great, but not one of their moves counts as a win during the season.  If for no other reason, I am intrigued by this team because they FINALLY have a younger, more innovative coaching staff.  I love Marv for what he did here, but his time here should have ended a long time ago.  I have long argued that we had the talent but the coaches handcuff the team with their predictable, conservative nature.  They were also, well, boring to watch.  An offense that rarely took shots down the field and a defense that played off zone coverage that gave up easy plays underneath all day long (at least until a long overdue change in scheme at the end of the year, when the season was over).

We should be used to the talking heads taking shots at the Bengals, and yes, they have now strung together three straight below .500 seasons so the "we made the playoffs five straight years" narrative is done.  What have they done for us lately?  Nothing.  However, they have a strong roster with a few key holes:  LB (would be a lot different if Tez was still playing like his prime) and DT (need someone to step up next to Geno or draft Dexter Lawrence).  The offensive line isn't great, but I don't see it as the disaster most are making it out to be.  Those two issues on the defense can and should be addressed and this team can be right back in the thick of things.  

Agreed. Ced was so terrible that he shouldn't be starting. Hart is just a bad starter. But, he's a durable and enthusiastic bad starter.  Sarcasm Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 10:48 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Agreed. Ced was so terrible that he shouldn't be starting. Hart is just a bad starter. But, he's a durable and enthusiastic bad starter.  Sarcasm Hilarious

Ced was a walking turnstile...the worst Tackle I've ever seen.

Hart is just standard issue "pretty bad"...which sadly was a massive upgrade. 
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 01:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Ced was a walking turnstile...the worst Tackle I've ever seen.

Hart is just standard issue "pretty bad"...which sadly was a massive upgrade. 

Cedric should ask for a cut of Hart's big payday because Cedric made Hart look like a solution to the problem by comparison.
Reply/Quote