Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL fan culture
What is the fan culture like over there in America?
I'm aware that supporters are not segregated, you all sit amongst each other.
I know you have tailgating (a pre game BBQ?), do both sets of supporters mingle at tailgating parties?
Is there ever any violence at games? Whether it's the odd scuffle or regular mass brawls

I imagine it to be quite different to how English football fans behave.
In the 70s and 80s particularly, crowd violence was really serious issue. It still is in some parts of Europe, notably Turkey.
Fans are always segregated, which I like. It helps make a better atmosphere when all the away fans are put together. In some of the older football stadiums it can generate some deafening noise.

How do you approach say a Pittsburgh game? Is it friendly banter between fans, or is it intense?
In Huddersfields local derby (against L**ds United) it can be quite intense. Some football derbies carry so much passion, the games are always electric (Celtic vs Rangers is by far the best derby/rivalry in the world for this)
At Huddersfields away game to L**ds (we won 4-1 by the way Wink) our fans were made to wait behind 30 minutes after the game so trouble could be avoided after the game.

Would any of you be in favour of fan segregation? It can produce better atmospheres, keeps all fans together to make some real noise.
Then again letting fans in amongst each other could produce friendlier atmospheres.

Thoughts?
[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
https://youtu.be/gbTaRH6N6zc

Reply/Quote
https://youtu.be/2hp686GuhLI

Reply/Quote
https://youtu.be/mZ7iRn12TJE

Reply/Quote
https://youtu.be/cOohSspkM3o

Not to mention some of the songs

Reply/Quote
My experience is 99% or more of fans are cordial, but there are sometimes a few assholes. Often as not the assholes are drunk and most of the crowd tries to ignore them. I am not aware of any fan brawls in the states on the scale of the soccer riots you referenced. A few fights here and there but as likely to be between two drunk jackasses wearing the same colors as two opposing fans.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
Most Fans get along with each other but when alcohol gets into the mix it gets heated.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
There have been a few brawls with fans that made the news but they are almost always at grade school or high school games and not at university or professional ones.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
Don't go to Philadelphia.  They fans boo'd Santa Claus!  They have some sick and twisted people living there. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I've been to a few hundred games over the decades, in Cincinnati, Detroit and Indianapolis, and I've yet to see a truly bloody, violent fracas break out of the 70's/80's kind that you described. Sure, some intoxicated idiot pushing another intoxicated idiot is part and parcel with the NFL experience. Most issues you'll see at a game though are simply people being rude, not violent.

It's true that behavior can be influenced by whom the team is hosting. If it's a team in another division, or especially the other conference (we'll only see a given NFC team during the regular season every eight years, for example), then it's generally cordial between visiting and home fans because it's a bit of a novelty having them there. If it's a division rival, though, things can get a bit tense at times. Still, most behave.

I don't feel having segregated fan groups is an answer. Resale tickets, a huge business here, would make that difficult to begin with. And, I feel placing visiting fans together might embolden them a bit to misbehave. When they're surrounded by the home team's fans, well, perhaps that's an inducement for them to behave a bit better with none of their compatriots nearby.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote