Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL front seven rankings: All 32 teams after 17 weeks
25. Cincinnati Bengals
Geno Atkins and the Bengals pass rush was still formidable at times, but they paired it with easily the worst linebacking corps in the NFL. Their linebackers allowed 1,806 yards in their coverage this season – 284 more than any other group in the league.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-nfl-front-seven-rankings-all-32-teams-after-17-weeks
Reply/Quote
Yea they (LBs) were awful. Our secondary was actually rated 7th in the league, now consider how many passing yards we gave up and it shows how much of it was on the LBs.
Reply/Quote
Epic failure from LBers

What are free agent LBers looking like ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 09:45 PM)Au165 Wrote: Yea they (LBs) were awful. Our secondary was actually rated 7th in the league, now consider how many passing yards we gave up and it shows how much of it was on the LBs.

I'm pretty set on drafting offensive line in Round 1...but if White from LSU is there at MLB...I might go him.

He's big, fast, and good in coverage.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 09:47 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Epic failure from LBers

What are free agent LBers looking like ?

KJ Wright will be the big money stack LB but I like local product Jordan Hicks from the Eagles.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 09:50 PM)Au165 Wrote: KJ Wright will be the big money stack LB but I like local product Jordan Hicks from the Eagles.

I think they have to go out and get a top shelf LBer if at all possible.
Reply/Quote
I'd love to add Hicks.

Look at a guy like LJ Fort for the Steelers who has mainly been a backup, but really looks good when he gets time.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 09:54 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I think they have to go out and get a top shelf LBer if at all possible.

We probably need 2 starters and 1 backup upgrade.

I'd be ok starting Vigil if he's the 3rd best LB.

I'd look at Chickillo as a backup.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 09:47 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'm pretty set on drafting offensive line in Round 1...but if White from LSU is there at MLB...I might go him.

He's big, fast, and good in coverage.

Draft White and get a quality FA and Vigil we should be much improved.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 10:03 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Draft White and get a quality FA and Vigil we should be much improved.

We have so many needs and only 1 1st Round pick. I do like White a lot.

What if someone like Oliver who was projected to go #1 falls for character concerns? Do we take him at 11?
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 09:50 PM)Au165 Wrote: KJ Wright will be the big money stack LB but I like local product Jordan Hicks from the Eagles.

Would love either one of these guys and then get Seantrel Henderson and the Draft is somewhat open.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 10:09 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We have so many needs and only 1 1st Round pick. I do like White a lot.

What if someone like Oliver who was projected to go #1 falls for character concerns? Do we take him at 11?

He has fallen for more than character. He didn’t really get any better as a pass rusher this year which has some concerned he may be maxed out. I think in this deep DT draft you don’t jump a him at 11 you could trade back to 20 and get one of three or four three techniques with similar talent.
Reply/Quote
It's astounding how bad our LB's were in coverage.

Then, people have the nerve to criticize Geno for not getting more sacks. The QB had easy dump downs all year.
Reply/Quote
I would draft Devin White AND Devin Bush. Hell, may be able to get Mack Wilson in the 2nd round as well.
Reply/Quote
Footballoutsiders ranks the D-line by itself instead of "front seven".

Bengals ranked 30th in "adjusted line yards" (rushing stat that gives D-line more credit for tackles for loss and less blame for yards gained more than 10 yards past line of scrimmage), 29th in "power success rate" (rushing short yardage situation stat), and 30th is "stuffed rate" (tackles for loss or zero gain in any situation).  But they were 16th in "adjusted sack rate".

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/dl

Personally I think it is more appropriate to lump the front 7 together in run defense because LBs also have run gap assignments..
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 09:34 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: 25. Cincinnati Bengals
Geno Atkins and the Bengals pass rush was still formidable at times, but they paired it with easily the worst linebacking corps in the NFL. Their linebackers allowed 1,806 yards in their coverage this season – 284 more than any other group in the league.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-nfl-front-seven-rankings-all-32-teams-after-17-weeks

Gotta be honest, I didn't expect such a decline from Burfict and I thought Brown would have at least had a good impact on the run game. Last, I thought Jefferson would have found his way into the starting lineup by the end of the year, as he was a very solid prospect coming out of Texas but needed some refinement. From what I remember of Jefferson coming into the draft, he needed someone to give him some "tackling fuel" as they called it in The Waterboy.

If there is a "bright side," it's that Preston Brown tied his career high for both INTs and PDs in a season on just seven games as a Bengal. He was on his way to being better in coverage than he had ever been. Vigil also looked to have improved a good deal from Year 2 to Year 3.

I wouldn't be opposed to bring back Preston Brown (maybe as a 2-down thumper or put at SAM?), but I do want to see at least one LB taken high in the draft regardless if Brown is re-signed or not. I also have no issues releasing Burfict and putting that saved money toward a younger, more reliable FA LB.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote