Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL may eliminate "spot foul" part of defensive pass interference
(03-01-2018, 12:06 PM)grampahol Wrote: PI is about the only foul that can result in a penalty of more than 15 yards so why subject ONLY db's to this silliness ? 
Think about it.  No other foul can change the outcome of a game more than PI.. Even blatantly tackling and beating up the kicker can only be a 15 yard penalty.. There's got to be some middle ground between a 50 yard ticky tacky pi call and an extremely violent and brutal foul by say, a defensive lineman..  if a wr can swing the game by so much one direction penalizing db's then there should be  some equitable penalty that offensive players can be subjected to to swing it the opposite direction, but  there isn't . I don't know .maybe the qb kicking a defensive player in the nuts? 15 yards per nut?  Getting proof could get kind of freaky, eh?

(03-02-2018, 01:16 PM)grampahol Wrote: Strangely enough within this debate about defensive backs mugging receivers it works the same way for every team (or at least in theory). Unless you're going to acknowledge that yes, refs can and do throw games to favor certain teams over others you can't really make the claim that any particular team is going to get the built in advantage through the rule change. 
If the steelers or pats can have their db's tackle receivers to prevent TDs then obviously the Bengals can too.. 
What would be interesting is to find out what teams get the most PI calls in their favor and is it consistent year in, year out? 
It seems to me that it might just eliminate some of the mystery PI calls that often swing game outcomes so drastically. 
How many times have you watched a game where you thought the Bengals had the game in the bag only to see some mysterious PI call at the last minute. The line of scrimmage suddenly goes from our 33 yardline to  their 8 yardline and nobody actually caught the ball? You just can't get much murkier or fishier than that. And yes, murkier and fishier are technical terms specific to football that result in more new TV sales because of blunt objects being thrown at screens than any other single factor. . Wink

I am in 100% agreement with gramps one this one.   eliminate that "spot foul" crap.  at least try to make it fair for defenses.  The offense has all the advantages and its one of the reasons why the NFL is being ruined.

as far as the fumbling out of bounds in the end zone issue.....giving the ball back to the other team is just plan asinine as well. Seriously, who came up with these 'ingenious' rules?  at what point did the defense gain any point of control over the ball that went out of bounds?  how come its not like that if someone fumbles out of bounds at the 46 yard line?  why doesn't the ball get turned over then?  
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2018, 12:06 PM)grampahol Wrote: PI is about the only foul that can result in a penalty of more than 15 yards so why subject ONLY db's to this silliness ? 
Think about it.  No other foul can change the outcome of a game more than PI.. Even blatantly tackling and beating up the kicker can only be a 15 yard penalty.. There's got to be some middle ground between a 50 yard ticky tacky pi call and an extremely violent and brutal foul by say, a defensive lineman..  if a wr can swing the game by so much one direction penalizing db's then there should be  some equitable penalty that offensive players can be subjected to to swing it the opposite direction, but  there isn't . I don't know .maybe the qb kicking a defensive player in the nuts? 15 yards per nut?  Getting proof could get kind of freaky, eh?

Unless you are the Steelers and it is Kevin Huber.
Reply/Quote

Because a well timed PI can prevent the other team from gaining significantly more than 15 yards?
Reply/Quote
I think there's many angles we can argue on this but truth be told, we wont know until we start seeing how teams use this in their gameplan. It's significant enough to actually strategize around it on the D side, but really see no benefit to changing it from what it was. Prior to this, if you were burned you had to make a judgement on if the ball is capable of being caught in the air before making the decision to PI. If your wrong? You just gave up a huge chunk of yards. If your right? You saved a TD. Changing the rule will cause a lot of Dre K's to look significantly better and smarter than they are. However, it plays into their wheelhouse.

Reply/Quote
Maybe a rule of making it a spot foul only inside of 2 or 5 minutes of the end of each half?

However, even so, here's where the problem is, as I've mentioned:

It's the Super Bowl and one team starts on their own 1 yard line and they're down 2 or 3. They run a play action and the receiver has the DB beat. Say the clock is at 2:10 while the ball is in the air and the receiver has a step on the corner, and it was Josh Allen throwing his 70-yard deep ball down to the other team's 38. Instead of letting himself get beat, the corner just dives at the receivers legs and takes him out. It was outside of 2 minutes, so not a spot foul and the defense had been so stout (besides for that one play) that they stop the offense from gaining anymore yards and getting into field goal range.

You just gave the other team the game over a cheap play that takes advantage of a bogus rule. That's NOT football.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2018, 01:49 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I am in 100% agreement with gramps one this one.   eliminate that "spot foul" crap.  at least try to make it fair for defenses.  The offense has all the advantages and its one of the reasons why the NFL is being ruined.

as far as the fumbling out of bounds in the end zone issue.....giving the ball back to the other team is just plan asinine as well. Seriously, who came up with these 'ingenious' rules?  at what point did the defense gain any point of control over the ball that went out of bounds?  how come its not like that if someone fumbles out of bounds at the 46 yard line?  why doesn't the ball get turned over then?  

Not trying to hijack things here, but the rule has been in place for decades and never been a problem until recently, and only then because some jack off that runs PFT didn't think it was fair that his team was penalized with a turnover.

What happens if you lose possession out of the back of your own end zone?  2 points for the opponent and the opponent gets possession via a kickoff.  Would it be fair to give the same reward to the opposition if you lose possession out of their end zone?  Probably not. 

So what is the compromise?  The rule that has always been in place, i.e. losing a ball out of either endzone is a turnover.  As the possession is occuring in the opponents end zone, it is a touch back.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 03:11 PM)shanebo Wrote: I don't support this proposed rule change in the least, as I think it will result in a lot more intentional pass interference by DBs -- anytime a DB is beat by 15 yards or more, ball is in the air, he can tackle the WR pre-catch and it's a win.  More thuggery than skill.  You already see this to a certain extent in college and in the end zone in the NFL, followed by the obligatory color commentator remark "good defensive play, better than a huge gain/touchdown."  Meanwhile I'm fuming b/c my team's WR just got destroyed by a dirty DB ...  IMO the only reason this rule works in college is because college WRs are generally more open than NFL WRs -- often the DBs can't get to them to trip/tackle them before the ball gets there.  That said, I doubt this rule passes because it runs contrary to the focus on offense and scoring in today's NFL.  

Re No. 2 - I think Belicheck and the better coaches/coordinators will tell their DBs to interfere whenever they feel they're beat long.  I'm guessing we'll see the Pats, Steelers, Eagles, and Vikings doing this from the outset, virtually eliminating long TDs against them.  Merv won't get it for at least 2-3 years, though.

Hopefully the Comp. Committee will realize the consequences and make "intentional PI" a separate category with a stiffer penalty.
Reply/Quote
It's an interesting discussion but I believe, a moot point. The NFL wion't initiate a rule that actually rewards you, or in some cases even encourages you to commit a penalty.
Reply/Quote
Think if passed it would make elite WR's and CB's not as valuable.
Even if not beat but CB knows an AJ Green type player is going to out jump him for the ball. Just grab him and give up the 15 if you get caught.

Thought I liked it at beginning but do not after consideration. Pro's are too fast and smart and will exploit it to its fullest. Many top WR's may get hurt unnecessarily as well.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 10:14 PM)Tama Wrote: It's an interesting discussion but I believe, a moot point. The NFL wion't initiate a rule that actually rewards you, or in some cases even encourages you to commit a penalty.

Hope you are correct.

(03-05-2018, 11:02 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Think if passed it would make elite WR's and CB's not as valuable.
Even if not beat but CB knows an AJ Green type player is going to out jump him for the ball. Just grab him and give up the 15 if you get caught.

Thought I liked it at beginning but do not after consideration. Pro's are too fast and smart and will exploit it to its fullest. Many top WR's may get hurt unnecessarily as well.

Yes sir. Cannot have DB's intentionally interfering man. This is what that would lead to.
Reply/Quote