Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL owners/MB question
I rarely post a new thread, but was just curious about something.  Most of us have said for a long time how MB is more interested in his checkbook then a playbook, so that got me thinking about other owners and how MB came to be the owner of the Bengals.

My question is: Out of the 32 owners in the league, how many actually had the interest to go out and spend their own money to purchase a team because they love football and want to make their team great?

It seems that most, if not all but one, willingly bought an NFL team with their own money.  I would think that if you purchase an NFL team that you love football and want your team to be the best and therfore will try and do everything in your power to make your team the best.  MB seems to be the opposite of this and he actually did not go out looking for an NFL team to buy with his own money.  He inherited a team.

Maybe the reason MB is so miserly is because he was never truly rich before?  He was a lawyer, but we are talking about people who can purchase an NFL team type of rich.  Maybe it is as simple as MB inherited an NFL team, but he's not 100% into it like someone who actively sought out to purchase an NFL team because they love football.

Just some random thoughts and a question thrown in there.

Merry Christmas and happy New Year!!!!!
Reply/Quote
I believe Mike Brown is into winning and he wants to.

The issue is he wants to do it HIS way. And he is too stubborn to move from that, and that's why we're here today.

Loyalty is something the Bengals have a lot of, to a fault. I don't think there's a more loyal franchise to their players. But that also means that they aren't always willing to move on when they should.

Others have inherited teams as well. And some have bought teams just to get money in all honesty.

Everyone wants to win, just in their own way. Some owners place professionals there to make decisions for them, some are always with their teams and want to know the ins and outs of everything.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2016, 04:13 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I believe Mike Brown is into winning and he wants to.

The issue is he wants to do it HIS way. And he is too stubborn to move from that, and that's why we're here today.

Loyalty is something the Bengals have a lot of, to a fault. I don't think there's a more loyal franchise to their players. But that also means that they aren't always willing to move on when they should.

Others have inherited teams as well. And some have bought teams just to get money in all honesty.

Everyone wants to win, just in their own way. Some owners place professionals there to make decisions for them, some are always with their teams and want to know the ins and outs of everything.

Thank you for your insight.  It certainly makes sense. 
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown inherited the team, no doubt, as he will eventually pass it down to Katie. It IS a family business, and it IS ran like a business.

Terms like:
A Hierarchy corporate culture is an organisational model based on clearly defined corporate levels and structures. Hierarchy is a type of organisational structure in which items are ranked according to levels of importance.

Organisation chart A diagram that outlines the internal structure of a company. An organisation chart is the most common visual depiction of how an organisation is structured. It outlines the roles, responsibilities and relationships between individuals within an organisation.

Right now the Bengals organization is in a 'Centralization', meaning decision-making is about authority. A key question is whether authority should rest with senior management at the center of a business. Mike Brown being the owner, and GM answers to nobody in his overall decisions. If Mike Brown would be in a Decentralization state, (meaning) is the process of redistributing or dispersing functions, powers, people or things away from a central location or authority. He could be an owner that would delegate responsibilities. Although, we are seeing this more since Marvin Lewis' involvement, along with Katie's and Tobin's interjections, but again, the centralization is still Mike Brown.

There it stems from salary base. (Chain of command) instead of talent will be utilized more. The higher paid, the more played, unless injury, issues or others in mention. It will have to follow a chain of command process throughout the organization based on initial salary, which reflects the set chain of command and determines the play time, again unless the player is not physically met. If and when the player is physically not met, the new term in the business is: Delayering, which is the process of removing layers of hierarchy between the highest and lowest levels in order to boost operational efficiency, decrease the wage bill and remove red tape. Delayering typically removes middle managers, providing senior managers easier reach over the organisation as a whole.

As efficient as delayering sounds, our organization also has a reputation of loyalty. Loyalty is a curse to the new world order of business...because it is a human curse. Mike Brown has loyalty to those who are loyal to him, causing this business to wait too long for delayering processes to happen.

Overall, Mike Brown is a business man, centralized, in an ultimate leading hierarchy in an organization who inhabit/distills loyalty for those who might need to be delayered. In his chain of command, highest paid at that position of command will see more playing time unless injured or otherwise noted of decreased issues.

Welcome Bengals fans.

[Image: cinsigfin.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think that is probably very accurate and definitely depressing.

NE going to there 6th straight conference championship game and Lewis can't win a playoff game in 14 seasons. How anybody can justify Lewis staying (and how the team is run overall) is beyond any kind of logic that I have the ability to comprehend.

Have we gotten better? Yes. But I have ZERO hope of EVER seeing the Bengals win a single playoff game under the current coaching staff and ownership.

You simply cannot win playoff games based on how the team is operated and coached.

MB has now had 26 years to put together a team that wins one playoff game. It has not happened and never will unless the ownership changes their overall philosophy on how they run the team. Not trying to be negative. I believe everything I said is factual or will be proven factual in the coming years and that just makes me sad and uninterested in Bengals football. This year plus Lewis and coaching staff and no changes I think has finally done me in.

I'm just not excited about the Bengals. Almost a year til next season. Who cares about the draft. Rookies and best player don't play anyway. Same coaching staff who can't win big games. Just not excited at all.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 02:29 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I think that is probably very accurate and definitely depressing.  

NE going to there 6th straight conference championship game and Lewis can't win a playoff game in 14 seasons.  How anybody can justify Lewis staying (and how the team is run overall) is beyond any kind of logic that I have the ability to comprehend.

Have we gotten better?  Yes.  But I have ZERO hope of EVER seeing the Bengals win a single playoff game under the current coaching staff and ownership.  

You simply cannot win playoff games based on how the team is  operated and coached.

MB has now had 26 years to put together a team that wins one playoff game.  It has not happened and never will unless the ownership changes their overall philosophy on how they run the team.  Not trying to be negative.  I believe everything I said is factual or will be proven factual in the coming years and that just makes me sad and uninterested in Bengals football.  This year plus Lewis and coaching staff and no changes I think has finally done me in.

I'm just not excited about the Bengals.  Almost a year til next season.  Who cares about the draft.  Rookies and best player don't play anyway.  Same coaching staff who can't win big games.  Just not excited at all.  

I'll have what he's having. Cry
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2016, 02:53 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote:  My question is: Out of the 32 owners in the league, how many actually had the interest to go out and spend their own money to purchase a team because they love football and want to make their team great?

I was curious to find out the answer to this...5 teams are still in the hands of their original owning familes:
Bears: Halas 
Steelers: Rooney
Chiefs: Hunt
Giants: Mara (50% ownership)
and of course
Bengals- Brown

teams that are not owned by the founding family but have passed through multiple generations
Lions-Ford
Colts-Irsay
Cardinals-Bidwell
Raiders-Davis
Tampa Bay-Glazer
49ers-York
Titans-Adams

and 1 team is still owned by their original owner
Panthers-Richardson

so 13 out of 32 still have a direct family ownership...

everyone else bought the team

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 02:29 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I think that is probably very accurate and definitely depressing.  

NE going to there 6th straight conference championship game and Lewis can't win a playoff game in 14 seasons.  How anybody can justify Lewis staying (and how the team is run overall) is beyond any kind of logic that I have the ability to comprehend.

Have we gotten better?  Yes.  But I have ZERO hope of EVER seeing the Bengals win a single playoff game under the current coaching staff and ownership.  

You simply cannot win playoff games based on how the team is  operated and coached.

MB has now had 26 years to put together a team that wins one playoff game.  It has not happened and never will unless the ownership changes their overall philosophy on how they run the team.  Not trying to be negative.  I believe everything I said is factual or will be proven factual in the coming years and that just makes me sad and uninterested in Bengals football.  This year plus Lewis and coaching staff and no changes I think has finally done me in.

I'm just not excited about the Bengals.  Almost a year til next season.  Who cares about the draft.  Rookies and best player don't play anyway.  Same coaching staff who can't win big games.  Just not excited at all.  

that statement is incorrect. how the team is operated and coached is EXACTLY why the patriots do what they do year in and year out. we HAD the talent, we sorta still do but we've lost many pieces. this team will continue to decline. don't be surprised when we miss the playoffs again next season, our window has closed. we're not bengal fans cuz we chose to be. we're bengal fans by birth. same shit with the reds.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2017, 12:45 AM)WildCat Wrote: that statement is incorrect. how the team is operated and coached is EXACTLY why the patriots do what they do year in and year out. we HAD the talent, we sorta still do but we've lost many pieces. this team will continue to decline. don't be surprised when we miss the playoffs again next season, our window has closed. we're not bengal fans cuz we chose to be. we're bengal fans by birth. same shit with the reds.

disagree with this statement of our window has closed especially if we draft a game changing talent like Williams. we get 2 first round talents back this year in wjiii and billings helping our 2 biggest weaknesses. getting Williams would make our offense damn near unstoppable, and vigil looked really good toward the end of the year.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals and Mike Brown are fine with just being competitive and not being terrible like they were in the 90's. They treat Marvin's 5 consecutive playoff appearances as if they were super bowl victories and feel like they owe Marvin a lifetime achievement award and a coach for life pass for turning the franchise around. Mike Brown is afraid of change and will do things his way regardless of the results. 26 years without a playoff win proves that. They think change is bad and in their minds they could never fathom / comprehend that a another coach or business approach could take this team over the top so they settle for consistency instead of striving for greatness. In what city would it be acceptable for a coach to have zero playoff wins in 14 years ? I'm from New England and when my friends ask me why we keep Marvin I say because he makes the playoffs sometimes and that's good enough for the Bengals. They laugh and say but they choke and embarrass themselves all the time, I just shrug and say those standards are acceptable with the Bengals owner.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2017, 12:45 AM)WildCat Wrote: that statement is incorrect. how the team is operated and coached is EXACTLY why the patriots do what they do year in and year out. we HAD the talent, we sorta still do but we've lost many pieces. this team will continue to decline. don't be surprised when we miss the playoffs again next season, our window has closed. we're not bengal fans cuz we chose to be. we're bengal fans by birth. same shit with the reds.

I will have to disagree.  I think my statement is factual.  NE would NEVER allow a coach with the shortcomings of Lewis to coach in NE for more than a few years.  NE holds players/coaches accountable, make bold moves on their roster(that usually pay off), always strive to have the best player on the field, hold their players and coaches to very high levels of expected performance, etc, etc.

NE wins becuase they are the opposite of how the Bengals org is run.

NE is going to their 6th STRAIGHT championship game.  MB has won 0, ZERO, ZIP, ZILCH, NADA!!!  Not a SINGLE playoff game in 26 YEARS!!!!  That is almost statistically impossible in the NFL!!

I tried to stay positive, I really did.  Look back through my limited posts throughout the year and my posts on the gameday threads.  I REALLY tried to stay positive.  This year has just done something to me.  I literally feel no excitement.  Nothing to look forward to.  It's deeper than just a coaching change.  I think it truly and finally sunk in that, as a Bengals fan with MB as owner (and maybe Katie and Troy also), that we have ZERO chance of ever doing anything more than one and done if we are even lucky enough to make it back to the playoffs again.  I really hate feeling this way since NFL football is the only sport I follow and I am a Bengals fan for life.

And to top this season off 3 of the 4 teams left I cannot stand and always hate when they make the playoffs.  I mean really, Pit, NE and GB?  Gee whiz Beav, who would have guessed it.  Yawn.  All I can hope for is the Falcons can get it done.  Loved seeing Sanu get that TD catch!  He made it farther in 1 season then the whole Bengals org has in 26 years.  How incredibly pathetic.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2017, 12:53 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I will have to disagree.  I think my statement is factual.  NE would NEVER allow a coach with the shortcomings of Lewis to coach in NE for more than a few years.  NE holds players/coaches accountable, make bold moves on their roster(that usually pay off), always strive to have the best player on the field, hold their players and coaches to very high levels of expected performance, etc, etc.

NE wins becuase they are the opposite of how the Bengals org is run.

NE is going to their 6th STRAIGHT championship game.  MB has won 0, ZERO, ZIP, ZILCH, NADA!!!  Not a SINGLE playoff game in 26 YEARS!!!!  That is almost statistically impossible in the NFL!!

I tried to stay positive, I really did.  Look back through my limited posts throughout the year and my posts on the gameday threads.  I REALLY tried to stay positive.  This year has just done something to me.  I literally feel no excitement.  Nothing to look forward to.  It's deeper than just a coaching change.  I think it truly and finally sunk in that, as a Bengals fan with MB as owner (and maybe Katie and Troy also), that we have ZERO chance of ever doing anything more than one and done if we are even lucky enough to make it back to the playoffs again.  I really hate feeling this way since NFL football is the only sport I follow and I am a Bengals fan for life.

And to top this season off 3 of the 4 teams left I cannot stand and always hate when they make the playoffs.  I mean really, Pit, NE and GB?  Gee whiz Beav, who would have guessed it.  Yawn.  All I can hope for is the Falcons can get it done.  Loved seeing Sanu get that TD catch!  He made it farther in 1 season then the whole Bengals org has in 26 years.  How incredibly pathetic.

I dont blame you. I was disgusted during the season.  I wanted Marvin gone next season. I can't stand him anymore. I really think he's a dumb ass. But season ended and I'm still some what gullable,I'm excited for the draft. And see what they do. Which probably will be the same old free agency. They lose in free agency every year.  I'm not much of a dalton fan either, I don't like his game, I root for the guy to do good of course but I'm at a point i think with Lewis and Dalton we would only win a wc game against a bad team, like new England did vs houston.then that will be celebrated as a Superbowl for us, Lewis will be extended and so would dalton for a llifetime. We have very low standards here. As long as we aren't the 90s is peoples motto
Reply/Quote
Also I been thinking and I might become a player fan on top of Bengal fan, there's guys I like coming out the draft, like dalvin cook, Mike Williams, Corey Davis, Cooper kupp. That we probably won't get. I also think the nfl is most likely rigged, so that takes fun out of it too. Still football is entertaining to follow, I guess that's why I do it, plus I have met a lot of people, just by having the same team.

Also I used to be a reds fan, I watched every game back in early 2000s now I just don't get into it hardly, I'll try to watch and become bored. I go into baseball season knowing they have no shot.if I would have remained a die hard reds fan, I would of been heart broken by two teams lol. Pathetic. I hate the baseball playoffs too, there's literally two rounds till your at the world series, all them games for two rounds.
Reply/Quote