Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL promoting Jessie Bates
When have you ever seen this from the NFL? Pushing a Bengal defensive player for his overall play not just a single one

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 03:37 PM)pally Wrote: When have you ever seen this from the NFL?  Pushing a Bengal defensive player for his overall play not just a single one

It used to happen when we had elite players. Bates is an elite player so it's good to see again.
Reply/Quote
Bengals better be ready to pay Bates $14+ mill APY.
The top 5 safeties in NFL all make $14.0 - $14.75 mill.
Bates might command $15 mill TBH.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
One player I was right about before we drafted him. Wanted him in almost every one of my mocks. Great for us to
have drafted him and him to not only live up to, but exceed my expectations. Jessie has great instincts, range and
is a ballhawk, when he is tackling well Bates is as good as any Safety in the league.

Ocho is right, we are gonna have to pay him big, but in my opinion Bates is worth it.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 03:40 PM)Au165 Wrote: It used to happen when we had elite players. Bates is an elite player so it's good to see again.
He was just like a flash of light because he was so fast on that last play where he was blitzing Dalton!
(03-05-2021, 06:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: One player I was right about before we drafted him. Wanted him in almost every one of my mocks. Great for us to
have drafted him and him to not only live up to, but exceed my expectations. Jessie has great instincts, range and
is a ballhawk, when he is tackling well Bates is as good as any Safety in the league.

Ocho is right, we are gonna have to pay him big, but in my opinion Bates is worth it.

He's great because he's a mixture between the historic safeties that played in the box and laid the wood and the pass-defending safeties, which is perfect for the new pass-first league because he can make the hits to knock the ball loose/hit an rb/cover or hit a tight end/receiver that comes across the middle or, like you said, he's a ball hawk!  He's a playmaker that we've needed at safety!  

I think that him at safety and Alexander at corner (assuming he resigns here) will make a hell of a pair in our defensive backfield!
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 06:42 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bengals better be ready to pay Bates $14+ mill APY.

If I’m the Bengals I’d actually be trying to get it done in the next few weeks because Simmons is getting ready to reset the market. They tagged him but he will eventually end up on a long term deal.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 07:32 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: He was just like a flash of light because he was so fast on that last play where he was blitzing Dalton!

He's great because he's a mixture between the historic safeties that played in the box and laid the wood and the pass-defending safeties, which is perfect for the new pass-first league because he can make the hits to knock the ball loose/hit an rb/cover or hit a tight end/receiver that comes across the middle or, like you said, he's a ball hawk!  He's a playmaker that we've needed at safety!  

I think that him at safety and Alexander at corner (assuming he resigns here) will make a hell of a pair in our defensive backfield!

I agree Brad, he is the new age Free Safety made for this passing league. Keep him here along with Mackenzie who I also 
love along with Vonn patrolling the middle. I really like these 3 guys in our Secondary, even if Vonn is not the best in coverage
he makes up for it in the run game and obliterating players like JuJu coming over the middle and stopping the run game.

These 3 guys have a swagger to them and hate our rivals. They play with an edge, this is what I love to see. Get that front 
solidified in front of them and our D could go from terrible to badazz if Lou doesn't hold them back with terrible playcalling.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 07:44 PM)Au165 Wrote: If I’m the Bengals I’d actually be trying to get it done in the next few weeks because Simmons is getting ready to reset the market. They tagged him but he will eventually end up on a long term deal.

Would love to hear about a Bates deal in the next few weeks...
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 06:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: One player I was right about before we drafted him. Wanted him in almost every one of my mocks. Great for us to

I remember that Nate, I had him in my mock also. Why he wasn't voted 1st team all safety this year blows my mind.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 06:42 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bengals better be ready to pay Bates $14+ mill APY.

(03-05-2021, 07:44 PM)Au165 Wrote: If I’m the Bengals I’d actually be trying to get it done in the next few weeks because Simmons is getting ready to reset the market. They tagged him but he will eventually end up on a long term deal.

If a deal happened now, the Bengals should actually be able to knock down that APY a good deal.

He's making $2.44m in 2021. 
The franchise tag number in 2020 for safeties was $11.4m.

So 2yr/$14m is the starting point of team control... even if they add on 4yr/$60m ($15m/yr) in new money on top of that, that would end up being roughly 6yr/$74m ($12.3m/yr).

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 10:16 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I remember that Nate, I had him in my mock also. Why he wasn't voted 1st team all safety this year blows my mind.

On a bad defense on a bad team.

None of the 1st team All-Pro S were on a losing team or a below-average defense. Stats when it matters are always going to be weighed more than stats when it hasn't.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Legit stud....
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 10:55 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If a deal happened now, the Bengals should actually be able to knock down that APY a good deal.

He's making $2.44m in 2021. 
The franchise tag number in 2020 for safeties was $11.4m.

So 2yr/$14m is the starting point of team control... even if they add on 4yr/$60m ($15m/yr) in new money on top of that, that would end up being roughly 6yr/$74m ($12.3m/yr).

And worth every penny of that money.  He is a block in the secondary that the team can build around.  We haven't had that sort of presence since Reggie Nelson was calling the shots back there.  He's a vet now, put some young talent around him, and he will lead the way.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Can they promote him to defensive coordinator?
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2021, 01:36 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Can they promote him to defensive coordinator?

With that Wake Forest education, I'm sure that Bates will make a fine coach, one day.  As for now, he's got too many memories and highlights to make.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
when you have the film to prove your pedigree. cool
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 07:32 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: He was just like a flash of light because he was so fast on that last play where he was blitzing Dalton!

I really hope they get Alexander back....I thought he brought a certain physicality our secondary lacked and he covered well. Just thinking that Bengals may have had a good plan before Waynes went down. Just thinking with Waynes, Jackson, Alexander, Bates and Bell ....not bad 
and with Phillips and maybe some talent added in FA or Draft this could become a strength of the team. 
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2021, 12:08 PM)kalibengal Wrote: I really hope they get Alexander back....I thought he brought a certain physicality our secondary lacked and he covered well. Just thinking that Bengals may have had a good plan before Waynes went down. Just thinking with Waynes, Jackson, Alexander, Bates and Bell ....not bad 
and with Phillips and maybe some talent added in FA or Draft this could become a strength of the team. 

Yeah, imagine their stats if we had a decent enough pass rush.
Reply/Quote
Were I in Bates shoes, I would not do any extension this year due to the reduction in cap. EVERY team is going to use that as an excuse to keep the terms of this season low. But there is still uncertainty for the 2021 season. The attendance should most likely be up for all teams, but full capacity cannot be guaranteed. Because of that, EVERY team is going to try to keep year 2 of the deal reflective of that uncertainty. By not doing any deal before the end of 2021, guys like Bates with expiring contracts have the leverage of increasing cap, FA, and Franchise tag value on their sides.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2021, 10:42 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: Were I in Bates shoes, I would not do any extension this year due to the reduction in cap.  EVERY team is going to use that as an excuse to keep the terms of this season low.  But there is still uncertainty for the 2021 season.  The attendance should most likely be up for all teams, but full capacity cannot be guaranteed.  Because of that, EVERY team is going to try to keep year 2 of the deal reflective of that uncertainty.  By not doing any deal before the end of 2021,  guys like Bates with expiring contracts have the leverage of increasing cap, FA, and Franchise tag value on their sides.

While I know that what you say is true, as a fan of the Bengals, I'd like to see them take advantage and extend Bates now for 5/$64M.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote