Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL's Greatest Game Changer
Paul Brown!

It is too bad his son didn't inherit any of that football genuis. But it is good to see the NFL recognizes the greatness that was Paul Brown

https://www.nfl.com/100/originals/100-greatest/game-changers-1

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
The article didn't mention (unless I missed it) he was also the 1st coach to put a radio in the QB's helmet.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 10:05 AM)pally Wrote: Paul Brown!

It is too bad his son didn't inherit any of that football genuis. But it is good to see the NFL recognizes the greatness that was Paul Brown

It boggles the mind how Mike is so inept when Paul was so widely regarded? Maybe the milkman was making house calls when Paul was away? Only thing that makes sense...
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 10:35 AM)Sled21 Wrote: The article didn't mention (unless I missed it) he was also the 1st coach to put a radio in the QB's helmet.

it was in the video

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 10:42 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Maybe the milkman was making house calls when Paul was away?  

Don’t you mean garbage man? 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Paul Brown was an innovative man indeed. What the big media calls the “West Coast Offense” is actually the “Ohio River Offense.” It was built around an obscure Cincinnati quarterback named Virgil Carter who could throw very quick short passes but had issues going deep — much like Andy Dalton if you think about it. This showed Paul Brown’s ability to coach to his players’ strengths which is not something every head coach has the ability to do.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 10:45 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Don’t you mean garbage man? 

The neighbors dog more likely..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 11:02 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Paul Brown was an innovative man indeed.  What the big media calls the “West Coast Offense” is actually the “Ohio River Offense.”  It was built around an obscure Cincinnati quarterback named Virgil Carter who could throw very quick short passes but had issues going deep — much like Andy Dalton if you think about it.  This showed Paul Brown’s ability to coach to his players’ strengths which is not something every head coach has the ability to do.
Perhaps it shoulda been called the Virgil Carter offense.. Carter was the first Cincinnati QB I was actually aware of as a little kid.. Funny how certain names stick in your mind especially as kids. Carter and Essex Johnson stuck in my imagination and to some other degree a bit later it was Isaac Curtis.. It's probably because those were the names I heard on TV most often..   

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 11:47 AM)grampahol Wrote: The neighbors dog more likely..

Hey! Pissed

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 10:42 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Maybe the milkman was making house calls when Paul was away?  Only thing that makes sense...

(11-02-2019, 10:45 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Don’t you mean garbage man? 

You're both wrong.  

Mike is the last member of his species, spirited away in a space capsule moments before his planet was destroyed.  He landed on earth where he was discovered and taken in by a kindly high school football coach and his wife.  It wasn't until decades later that he discovered his true gift:  draining all life and hope from anything he touched.  

Look, up in the sky box!  It's a bird!  It's a plane!.  No, it's a slumbering pile of shit.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 10:05 AM)pally Wrote: Paul Brown!

Paul Brown, the greatest innovator and bringer of change to the NFL.

Mike Brown, the greatest anti-innovator and anti-change bozo in the NFL.

Reply/Quote
Is there still anyone who thinks Mike Brown doesn't deserve a long extension and huge pay raise for his part in ensuring that the Cincinnati Bengals will never challenge the clear supremacy of bigger and better funded teams? He made being the league doormat into an art and science and even managed to almost screw that up a few years ago, but he righted the ship to return the team to its rightful place as the preeminent league doormat.  

Reply/Quote
Mike Brown is the ultimate example of rebelling against one’s father.
Reply/Quote
Former Bengal QB Dewey Warren used to have a sports radio show in Knoxville.  Here are a couple of things I remember him saying about Paul Brown.

-Brown in his 60's would still do the calisthenics with the team to open practice.

-Practices were not extremely long, but at the end Brown would say, "That is the end of practice, but anyone who fels like they need to work more on something is free to stay longer."  Most of the players would then stay and work on more stuff befor eleaving the field.  That was a BRILLIANT piece of psychology.  Put the responsibility on the players take ownership of their performance.
Reply/Quote