Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL's most explosive ball carriers
(06-09-2022, 05:36 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: Same here.  The Chase block was kind of a microcosm of the team unity for me.     Agreed, one of best plays of the year (and he had a few of them lol)

Yeah Henry’s long speed is pretty nasty for his size.   I watch most Titans games, and he’s hard not to like and respect.  I think it’s kind of cool that they adapted their offense to their strengths, albeit in an antiquated fashion.

Lots of great plays last year but that one stands out for sure as just selfless team play from Chase.

There is a reason he is King Henry. He is a damn good RB, one of the best. I like the Titans Offense, that is the way I would like
us to play like more, physical running team that wears Defenses down. Our additions on the OL make this possible. Run it on teams
and then go Play Action deep. You would think Burrow would love this same with Mixon.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2022, 05:27 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Pretty sure he has just 4 rushing TDs of 20+ yards in his career. He didn't have any until Week 4 of 2020 (his 4th year) when he had 2 against the Jags (34 and 23 yarders). Then he had a 21 yarder against the Ravens and 20 yarder against the Raiders last year. Out of 1,104 carries, 954 carries outside of the Red Zone.

It’s certainly convenient to blame it on the line, but I think it has skewed his numbers , even longs. He has had some bad luck with being tripped up with nothing but daylight ahead of him too, and perhaps That’s something he could use improvement on from a technique standpoint. I think Mixon is plenty fast tho and should have his best year , but after this year, those on that side of the argument shouldn’t have any excuses. I was a little frustrated he was subbed out for Perine so often and was bitching about it well before the Super Bowl. I’m hoping he can catch more balls this season. The rb use was just too predictable last season.

-*sorry for the rant fellas, one of my favorite topics lol
Reply/Quote
It's really not a great litmus test against Henry where defenses are stacking the box to stop the run and if he gets trough its smooth sailing.

Opposed to Mixon where defenses are sitting back and slowing the Bengals rush with 3 man D-lines and the defensive backfield is loaded with players waiting if you get past. Plus Henry will truck a lone corner like he's not even there.

This will be the year to judge how explosive Mixon is on the field and not while running behind well below average O-line.

I think he will be stellar this season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Derrick Henry at 255 lbs had a higher top speed than Ja'Marr.

That guy is just a freak of nature.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2022, 10:32 AM)wcu Wrote: One Bengal made this Next Gen Stat ranking, and it wasn't necessarily the one I expected...

Rank 6

Joe Mixon
Cincinnati Bengals · RB
10+ yard runs: 26
10+ pct: 8.9%
15+ mph runs: 51
15+ mph pct: 17.5%

On one hand, Mixon is indeed an explosive rusher. His 51 15-plus mph runs and 26 10-plus-yard rushes prove that. At the same time, he's a runner who didn't gain much more than expected in 2021. Sure, he finished with the second-most rushing yards after contact last season (1,054), but he gained only one rushing yard over expected for the entire season. He also tied for the fifth-fewest average yards gained before contact in 2021, making the 15-plus mph runs a bit of an outlier.

Mixon rushed for 901 yards outside the tackles, the third most in the league. He is essentially a runner who wins by getting to and around the perimeter before taking off. It's a slow build, but it can be devastating -- and blinding, judging by his three carries that reached a top speed of 20-plus mph (tied for third-most in the NFL).

The rest of the list can be found here: https://www.nfl.com/news/next-gen-stats-10-most-explosive-runners-of-2021-josh-allen-jalen-hurts-lamar-ja

Cool article.  When you think of Mixon, you usually think of his size for a RB, but this highlights he also has a good deal of speed.  I can't help but think more talent on the line will not only open up holes, but they will also be better at getting to the next level and help Mixon break off more long runs.  

I was more than a little surprised at the speed of both Allen and Hurts.  Both guys are big and strong, too...not waifs like Lamar, who is by far the most elusive.  
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2022, 10:53 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: For context, his "10+ yard run percent" of 8.9% ranks as 35th out of 58 backs who received 75 carries or more. I don't know what a good threshold is here, so I will post more complete data below, with varying carry thresholds....

Backs w/ 75+ carries - Mixon ranks 35th out of 58
Backs w/ 100+ carries - Mixon ranks 30th out of 49
Backs w/ 125+ carries - Mixon ranks 28th out of 41
Backs w/ 150+ carries - Mixon ranks 22nd out of 30
Backs w/ 200+ carries - Mixon ranks 16th out of 18

I personally would not classify Mixon as an explosive rusher, but this isn't all his fault. The Bengals offensive line sucked last season. 

Some of this can also be attributed to the play calling.  The line wasn't good, but when it was 2nd and 10 and Mixon was in the backfield, it was a run...and everyone knew it.  Mostly ended up with a 1 or 2 yard gain.

I understand WHY ZT was doing it, but this year's team should be much more flexible in their play selection.  I can't wait to watch it.

I have been having these little debates about which unit will be ranked higher (just in terms of points and points allowed).  The defense finished the year so strong, and against the best competition.  The offense sputtered but that was largely due to injuries (or so I would like to think).  

I could see Mixon as the single greatest beneficiary (statistically speaking) in his performance of 2022 vs. 2021.  Even more so than Burrow, who was amazing in spite of the line.  He took way too many hits, but he still remained in attack mode despite the poor pass protection.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2022, 01:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Last year Mixon had 3 receptions of 40 plus yards.

To measure how explosive a player is they should look at receptions as well as carries.

And Mixon is hardly ever targeted downfield.  I remember that long play at the end of the Baltimore game...thought we might see more of that.  
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2022, 12:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice thread and love the stats you dug up on Mixon. Pretty crazy doing that behind a bad OL, cannot wait to see what he does
running behind Ted, Alex and La'el. Think he is poised for a monster year if the OL can stay healthy. Pollack is also very good at
coaching up run blocking. It is his pass blocking coaching that has left some to be desired.

Mixon has good vision and burst, he just needs to finish the long runs with TD's more often, his biggest problem IMO. Finishing.

Think we will see Mixon more in the passing game as well this year where I think he has been underutilized.

Absolutely.  I said in another post that I think Mixon will be the biggest beneficiary of the revamped offensive line.  The experience and talent on the right side (Cappa and Collins) will open some huge holes against these smaller DEs that are built for speed.  That, and improved second level blocking.  
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2022, 02:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Our WR's take pride in their down field blocking the same as the Titans WR's.

Derrick Henry just has that extra gear that Mixon doesn't. Mixon IS explosive with great burst, but he isn't fast enough to 
outrun Corners and Safeties to the endzone like Henry is.

I think Boyd is one of the best downfield blockers.  He's downright scrappy.  
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2022, 02:31 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: Chase's willingness to look for a block downfield was something I wasn't expecting, and I was one of the "team Chase" guys since before the draft.  It made me love him as a player even more than I already did.  

Regarding Henry, he is somewhat of a unicorn (as is the Titan offense) in today's game.  I actually didn't think he would succeed at the NFL level like he has, and thought his speed would be negated by a lack (relatively speaking) of quick burst and agility. 

Chase laying out that DB in Detroit (not once but twice...as though he said "Stay down, MFr!") was an amazing and hysterical moment.  Chase is so deceptively strong from his core.  I must have watched that play 100 times.  It was almost as good as Piggy's pick six to Hilton and the play where he self-faceplanted.  
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2022, 05:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Lots of great plays last year but that one stands out for sure as just selfless team play from Chase.

There is a reason he is King Henry. He is a damn good RB, one of the best. I like the Titans Offense, that is the way I would like
us to play like more, physical running team that wears Defenses down. Our additions on the OL make this possible. Run it on teams
and then go Play Action deep. You would think Burrow would love this same with Mixon.

Seeing a man as big as Henry absolutely outrun secondary players just doesn't seem possible, but he does it (when healthy).  I heard he had an absurd next gen stat run where he hit a speed like a top WR.  I forget what it was, but for a man that size to have that speed...I just can't imagine taking that on as a 200 lb DB.  Ouch. 
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2022, 10:12 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Absolutely.  I said in another post that I think Mixon will be the biggest beneficiary of the revamped offensive line.  The experience and talent on the right side (Cappa and Collins) will open some huge holes against these smaller DEs that are built for speed.  That, and improved second level blocking.  

Thinking the same, like we were talking about in your betting thread if I was a betting man I would bet Mixon has the 
biggest year of any RB this year. He is still in his prime and he gets a hefty work load and now finally has a good run 
blocking OL if they can stay relatively healthy.

(06-10-2022, 10:13 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think Boyd is one of the best downfield blockers.  He's downright scrappy.  

Very underrated part of Boyd's game no question. Taylor was talking about how our WR's love to block last season.

(06-10-2022, 10:28 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Seeing a man as big as Henry absolutely outrun secondary players just doesn't seem possible, but he does it (when healthy).  I heard he had an absurd next gen stat run where he hit a speed like a top WR.  I forget what it was, but for a man that size to have that speed...I just can't imagine taking that on as a 200 lb DB.  Ouch. 

Yeah, I wouldn't want to take that on that is for sure. Mixon either who is very physical but King Henry is even bigger and 
faster. Mixon is much better at catching the ball out of the backfield though and like I said earlier is underutilized in this 
aspect and has been his entire career. I hope to see both Mixon and Evans used in the passing game more often this year.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2022, 12:54 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Me either, he just doesn't have the really top end gear. And I'm very anxious to see what he does with what should be the best Oline he's had.

Personally I think Mixon is vastly under rated. He's never had a decent Oline in front of him, but this season should be quite different. He's still darn tough to bring down with a full head of steam so I damned sure wouldn't think of trying it myself. He'd break me into 47 pieces and change.. I officially declare that I'm not playing defense for any other NFL team the Bengals have to play this year.  I know..quite disappointing for them, but that's just the way it's gotta be. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
When I saw the thread title I thought immediately of Jim Brown after a late night stop at Taco Bell.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2022, 07:10 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: When I saw the thread title I thought immediately of Jim Brown after a late night stop at Taco Bell.

I think you're confusing explosive ball carrier with explosive diarrhea..  I've eaten at Taco bell so I can understand the confusion..  Ninja
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-10-2022, 07:15 PM)grampahol Wrote: I think you're confusing explosive ball carrier with explosive diarrhea..  I've eaten at Taco bell so I can understand the confusion..  Ninja

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBEXvH-pplZwm58csjPkj...g&usqp=CAU]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2022, 12:09 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBEXvH-pplZwm58csjPkj...g&usqp=CAU]

Hilarious
Reply/Quote