Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NFL supplements Logan and Cordell salary
(03-17-2023, 01:47 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote:

Volson played well regardless of his pedigree. The fact the Bengals spent big to replace Jonah shows who the Bengals thought was the problem on the left side. I still would like the Bengals to draft a guard later in the draft to give Volson competition. This list proves the NFL thought highly of the rookie. We need a complete revamp of backups other than Carman who might be the starting RT or sub LT.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Now can we get one that does the opposite? Like when you dont play a lot and get paid like Trey Waynes and Antonio Bryant?
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 03:29 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: Volson played well regardless of his pedigree. The fact the Bengals spent big to replace Jonah shows who the Bengals thought was the problem on the left side. I still would like the Bengals to draft a guard later in the draft to give Volson competition. This list proves the NFL thought highly of the rookie. We need a complete revamp of backups other than Carman who might be the starting RT or sub LT.

The list is based on playing time.  It has nothing to do with quality of performance or opinion of performance. As something that would never happen but is an example a 7th round drafted RB could play starting level snaps for a team, fumble every attempt and would still qualify based on playing time.

That said I still think Volson earned his bonus and think he has the potential to improve this year.  

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 03:34 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: The list is based on playing time.  It has nothing to do with actual performance or opinion of performance.  As something that would never happen but is an example a 7th round drafted RB could play starting level snaps for a team, fumble every attempt and would still qualify based on playing time.

That said I still think Volson earned his bonus and think he has the potential to improve this year.  

Ah, I was assuming it had something to do with performance as well. Too bad, think that should be a part of it.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 03:29 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: Volson played well regardless of his pedigree. The fact the Bengals spent big to replace Jonah shows who the Bengals thought was the problem on the left side. I still would like the Bengals to draft a guard later in the draft to give Volson competition. This list proves the NFL thought highly of the rookie. We need a complete revamp of backups other than Carman who might be the starting RT or sub LT.

(03-17-2023, 03:34 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: The list is based on playing time. It has nothing to do with actual performance or opinion of performance.  As something that would never happen but is an example a 7th round drafted RB could play starting level snaps for a team, fumble every attempt and would still qualify based on playing time.

Playing time you are right.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 03:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Ah, I was assuming it had something to do with performance as well. Too bad, think that should be a part of it.

Yes, I brought this up earlier and the name of the program, perfomance-based, is a bit confusing as often performance is thought of as quality of performance.  In this case it simply means they performed as in carried out an action and for the purpose of the bonus that means playing time.  If it was based on quality of performance that would be a hard one to figure out especially for the positions where stats are not as clear as others and would place the bonuses to more subjectivity.  So if quality of play were a factor it would be more like a pro-bowl selection with a cash bonus for low paid players.  As I understand it the formula removes subjectivity from the equation.

On the other hand more playing time in the NFL is often, but not always, based on quality of performance.   :)

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Both deserve it as well.

Surprised not to see Pacheco on this list though

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 07:56 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Both deserve it as well.

Surprised not to see Pacheco on this list though

My guess is it is  because he didn't start seeing a higher percentage of snaps until later in the season.  He didn't get to around 40% or so until week 9 and only saw more than 50% of offensive snaps 2 times.   I'm too lazy to calculate the average but here are his regular season snap percentages:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PachIs00/gamelog/2022/

So he had some good games but also not a lot of playing time over the entire season which is what the bonuses are based on.   Here is another interesting example, Mr. Irrelevant Brock Purdy was the QB for the last 6 games of the 49ers regular season and went on to play for the 49ers all the way to the NFC Championship game until he got hurt.  He didn't make the top 25 for the bonus because he didn't play enough snaps per the formula.

Also the list provided is the top 25 that received bonuses as I understand it.  According to the same article "NFL players will receive $336 million in Performance-Based Pay for their performance during the 2022 season."  So it seems many still got a bonus as the top 25 list only accounts for about 18 million.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 02:39 PM)Housh Wrote: This is amazing

Didn’t even know this was a thing

Seems like Volson was throw an extra 800k just for playing a lot. I love that for the players

Wilson has qualified for supplemental pay every year since he was drafted

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
And I thought they were paying Volson and Wilson with vitamins.. High quality vitamins, but still just vitamins.. Shocked
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 03:24 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Burfict was a big recipient of this program, that's the main reason I knew it existed.

yea, was kinda shocked no one remembered.
for his year, he was top compensated player. 

Lots of OL/DB's/Safeties on here, but that's mainly proves there IS late round value at those positions.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 03:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Ah, I was assuming it had something to do with performance as well. Too bad, think that should be a part of it.

Understood, but then that would make it too subjective as to what is quality.

We already have enough of that problem with the refs.

*edit, N/M i see George explained it. :)
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 03:49 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Yes, I brought this up earlier and the name of the program, perfomance-based, is a bit confusing as often performance is thought of as quality of performance.  In this case it simply means they performed as in carried out an action and for the purpose of the bonus that means playing time.  If it was based on quality of performance that would be a hard one to figure out especially for the positions where stats are not as clear as others and would place the bonuses to more subjectivity.  So if quality of play were a factor it would be more like a pro-bowl selection with a cash bonus for low paid players.  As I understand it the formula removes subjectivity from the equation.

On the other hand more playing time in the NFL is often, but not always, based on quality of performance.    :)

Well said. Good move in the CBA I never really noticed until now, thanks George. ThumbsUp

(03-18-2023, 07:13 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Understood, but then that would make it too subjective as to what is quality.

We already have enough of that problem with the refs.

*edit, N/M i see George explained it. :)

Yeah, don't need to get pissed off by more stuff LMAO!!! Hilarious
Reply/Quote
I remember back in 2009, when the undrafted Kyle Cook became the starting center, Hobs reported that he received a bunch of additional money from this program.
Miss Otis regrets she's unable to lunch today.
Reply/Quote
I had no idea this existed.

Good for those on the list as that’s a nice chunk of change to get as as a bonus. Still not quite clear on how they figure it out.
Reply/Quote

Well, he kinda did earn that bonus based on performance.  He beat out a more experienced and higher paid player to earn the spot, and was able to hold onto the position all season long.  Barring injury, I think that Volson will take a big step forward this season.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Good for them. Maybe the NFL can now compensate the Bengals for the revenue they lost when the NFL cancelled one of their games. 12% of their ticket and concession revenue.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 02:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Man, your hate for a 4th round rookie that just stepped right in and was solid at LG is kind of strange Bfine. Mellow

Seems there are people out there that agree with me that Cordell played well for a 4th round rookie, good for him.

Thanks for the low down George, actually like that. These guys put their bodies on the line big time, nice to see them get 
compensated for when they play above their contract. Will be paying Logan big money soon pretty damn sure.

Yeah, it's an enigma, wrapped in a riddle, truly a puzzler? I've been wondering for years whether he hates Dana Jacobson because she can out drink him or if he's jealous of her swallowing skills?  Ninja Cool

Fourth rounders that contribute in their rookie season are always alright in my book. 
Reply/Quote