Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL v MLB
So I grew up like every kid in Cincy playing Knothole baseball; and living and breathing Reds

Then Bengals came and my dad got season tickets.

Then I Started having a strong emotional toe over the years to the Bengals.

Living in North Carolina, I have drifted from the Reds and have been mad at MLB for not adopting revenue sharing.

I watched the last game of the Series and was reminded about a lot of stuff that made me love baseball.

The point most pertinent here is the quality of the officiating. Full time professionals who rarely miss a call.

Contrast that to the NFL were crews are completely different and during games refs make calls that are completely inconsistent and decide games every week.

I think the integrity of baseball is at a much higher level than the NFL.

I think NFL ratings are dropping in part because people are getting sick and tired of refs deciding games every week with arbitrary calls.

I also think that the selfish display by multi millionaire  NFL players disrespecting the country and their fans is also a huge problem that is just not present in baseball.

I can easily see baseball making a big come back and NFL dropping because of these and other issues including Roger GODell trying to jam his politically correct and NO FUN LEAGUE values down our face.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
While I agree with some of your points I have a hard time believing that baseball is going to make this rapid rise again. Don't get me wrong, I love baseball but I think they have a real issue getting younger people interested. I struggle to get my own kids interested and my wife works for the Reds for goodness sake! If you look at the average viewing age for MLB vs. NFL you'll understand what I'm talking about.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2016, 03:54 PM)bengals67 Wrote: So I grew up like every kid in Cincy playing Knothole baseball; and living and breathing Reds

Then Bengals came and my dad got season tickets.

Then I Started having a strong emotional toe over the years to the Bengals.

Living in North Carolina, I have drifted from the Reds and have been mad at MLB for not adopting revenue sharing.

I watched the last game of the Series and was reminded about a lot of stuff that made me love baseball.

The point most pertinent here is the quality of the officiating. Full time professionals who rarely miss a call.

Contrast that to the NFL were crews are completely different and during games refs make calls that are completely inconsistent and decide games every week.

I think the integrity of baseball is at a much higher level than the NFL.

I think NFL ratings are dropping in part because people are getting sick and tired of refs deciding games every week with arbitrary calls.

I also think that the selfish display by multi millionaire  NFL players disrespecting the country and their fans is also a huge problem that is just not present in baseball.

I can easily see baseball making a big come back and NFL dropping because of these and other issues including Roger GODell trying to jam his politically correct and NO FUN LEAGUE values down our face.

I watched the ending of the world series last night . I gave up being a die hard reds fan when griffey left I just thought they we're boring to me anymore. I loved how they had a pretty good offense back then.but I used to be hardcore, listening to the radio if they wasn't on, and I'd listen to Tracey Jones after the games and lance on the weekdays.I remember there was umpires that was horrible too. Wed lose games because the umps we're terrible. Tracey and the callers would call it out and be disgusted. So its baseball too
Reply/Quote
Baseball umpires work 160 games a year not counting pre and post season. Football refs 24 at max. That kind of repetition helps to hone those skills

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2016, 04:24 PM)pally Wrote: Baseball umpires work 160 games a year not counting pre and post season.  Football refs 24 at max.  That kind of repetition helps to hone those skills

so does working full time on their job.

Refs should be watching game film and practicing every week just like players.

Crews need to be consistent in how the rules are interpreted and during a game the crew calling the game needs to be consistent.

One of the worst I have seen was a game this year where Julio Jones was tackled on last play of game and there was no call.

The NFL badly needs full-time refs who are held accountable and even Benched" when they have a bad game. 
Reply/Quote
Baseball isn't taking over, the crazy jump was because of the historic relevance of the game. Last Superbowl almost had 3x the viewers of the game 7 between two teams who had neither won a title in most peoples life times. The regular season NFL games are becoming more watered down (see ratings drop), similar to what has occurred with baseball regular season games. In the end Football is still going to be king in the U.S. but the gap may not be a mile wide maybe just half a mile to it's next closest competitor.
Reply/Quote
What the hell is a "strong emotional toe" and how do we get one for Nugent?
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Baseball umpires are famous for being inconsistent. Every pitcher will tell you that different umps have different strike zones.

And no one is going away from football because of bad calls by the refs. There have always been bad calls, but with instant replay there are more accurate calls now than ever before.

In fact the NFL is not losing popularity at all. Network viewer numbers are down, but that is just because more people today watch games on internet streams. Same number of people watching. Just not as many people watching on network TV.
Reply/Quote
This thread makes me think of how the Bengals are the Pittsburgh Pirates of the NFL. Small market, lousy ownership, profit over production, decades+ sans playoff appearances, occasionally catches lightning in a bottle enough to flame out in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote