Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL worst vs. Rush what gives ?
We've played 2 games this season. 1st game the defense looked good. 2nd game they looked horrible. Same scheme, same players. Let's see what happens game 3.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 01:46 PM)lone bengal Wrote: No offense not trying to bash your opinion but Geno Atkins won’t make that much of a difference. We’ve been one of the worst defenses in the league the last 3 years with Geno playing. Geno and Dunlap aren’t the same players they used to be. Daniels is kinda in the same boat he was a pro bowler with the Packers and started to get old and decline so they cut him. The Lions signed him and had one of the worst defense in the league didn’t resign him. If it wasn’t for Tupou getting injured he’d probably still be unsigned. Geno and Daniels are better than what we’ve had next to Reader but they won’t save this defense.

I completely disagree. Dunlap had one of the best seasons of his career last year. Geno is not the pass rusher he used to be, but you put him on the line with Reader and you are able to rotate Daniels and Covington in for some snaps to keep them fresh and it is a huge difference. They haven't been able to do it yet.

I guarantee when they are able to use their rotation, the run defense will improve to at least respectable.
Reply/Quote
We have terrible linebackers and play nickel because they are a liability.

Sent from my BV9600 using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 01:44 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And the Browns were on the same short week and they completely shut our ground game down.

Because the Bungles have no rushing attack. Team was near the bottom 5-6 a year ago and suck this year with an even worse OL thus far. Once Browns got a double-digit lead only way to get back in that game was to throw the ball.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 02:43 PM)Sled21 Wrote: We've played 2 games this season. 1st game the defense looked good. 2nd game they looked horrible. Same scheme, same players. Let's see what happens game 3.

well, if i were going to place a cash bet on this outcome, i know which direction i'm leaning.
Reply/Quote
Lack of speed and Athleticism at the LB spot has been our main problem. Also feel like we're not versatile enough in our base package.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 02:57 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Because the Bungles have no rushing attack. Where you been? Team was near the bottom a year ago and suck this year with an even worse OL.

The “Bungles” did quite well running the ball in the second half of last season, so I’d ask where you have been?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 02:46 PM)Fullrock Wrote: I completely disagree. Dunlap had one of the best seasons of his career last year. Geno is not the pass rusher he used to be, but you put him on the line with Reader and you are able to rotate Daniels and Covington in for some snaps to keep them fresh and it is a huge difference. They haven't been able to do it yet.

I guarantee when they are able to use their rotation, the run defense will improve to at least respectable.

Dunlap did nothing for half the season last year. He padded his stats by having 3 sacks against an awful Jets team and 2.5 sacks the last game of the year versus a train wreck Cleveland team. Invisible again the first two games of this year.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 03:40 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The “Bungles” did quite well running the ball in the second half of last season, so I’d ask where you have been?

LOL. 3 of the last 4 games they ran it well. They played Jets, Browns 2x and Dolphins. You've been Bungalized, Mike Brown Jr. Same attitude this team always has when they play well for a couple games at the end of a season and believe they have the "fix" already in place for the next year.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 03:49 PM)higgy100 Wrote: LOL. 3 of the last 4 games they ran it well. They played Jets, Browns 2x and Dolphins. You've been Bungalized, Mike Brown Jr. Same attitude this team always has when they play well for a couple games at the end of a season and believe they have the "fix" already in place for the next year.

Right, and we literally just played the Browns, and couldn’t run for shit. That makes no sense. Mixon typically goes off against them.

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 03:52 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Right, and we literally just played the Browns, and couldn’t run for shit. That makes no sense. Mixon typically goes off against them.

Because the Browns already gave up on the season. They were a below .500 team and out of the playoffs not to mention all the in-fighting on that team. You act like these teams and seasons are fluid.  Can you see now?
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 03:57 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Because the Browns already gave up on the season. They were a below .500 team and out of the playoffs not to mention all the in-fighting on that team. You act like these teams and seasons are fluid.  Can you see now?

Now you’re just making shit up.

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 03:43 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Dunlap did nothing for half the season last year. He padded his stats by having 3 sacks against an awful Jets team and 2.5 sacks the last game of the year versus a train wreck Cleveland team. Invisible again the first two games of this year.

"Padded his stats" as if sacks against average to bad teams don't count? Newsfflash, every good player in the league pads their stats against bad teams. 

He missed 2 games due to injury the first half of last year. The fact that you want to say he isn't the player he once was when he had the best PFF rating of his career,  had his most sacks since 2015, had 50 QB pressures, and batted down 4 passes last year is just not accurate. 
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 03:43 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Dunlap did nothing for half the season last year. He padded his stats by having 3 sacks against an awful Jets team and 2.5 sacks the last game of the year versus a train wreck Cleveland team. Invisible again the first two games of this year.

Yes, he got hurt in game 1 or two and the numbers were non-existent for the first half, where he also missed games.

Then he comes back and *gasp* he starts reverting back the player he once was!

Give me a break; the guy is arguably the heart and soul of that defense.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 01:46 PM)lone bengal Wrote: No offense not trying to bash your opinion but Geno Atkins won’t make that much of a difference. We’ve been one of the worst defenses in the league the last 3 years with Geno playing. Geno and Dunlap aren’t the same players they used to be. Daniels is kinda in the same boat he was a pro bowler with the Packers and started to get old and decline so they cut him. The Lions signed him and had one of the worst defense in the league didn’t resign him. If it wasn’t for Tupou getting injured he’d probably still be unsigned. Geno and Daniels are better than what we’ve had next to Reader but they won’t save this defense.

It's true. Were the worst team last year, no matter who played, including Atkins. We still suck when he doesn't play. Just a guy people like and disappears. i.e. Where is Dunlap?
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 03:43 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Dunlap did nothing for half the season last year.

Not true at all.  Despite missing two games with injury in the 6 games he played in the first half of the season he had 22 tackles 5 TFL and 5 QB hits.

His numbers the second half of the season were much better, but that was because they were among the best in the league.  Among DEs he was #1 in tackles, sacks, and tipped passes, #2 in QB hits (only 1 behind Joey Bosa), and #4 in Tackles for Loss. 

(09-21-2020, 03:43 PM)lone bengal Wrote:  He padded his stats by having 3 sacks against an awful Jets team and 2.5 sacks the last game of the year versus a train wreck Cleveland team. Invisible again the first two games of this year.

EVERY player in the league pads his stats against weaker teams, but Dunlap was getting PDs, TFL, QB hits, and lots of tackles in almost every game.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 03:37 PM)J24 Wrote: Lack of speed and Athleticism at the LB spot has been our main problem. Also feel like we're not versatile enough  in our base package.

That has for sure been a big part of the problem.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 03:57 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Because the Browns already gave up on the season. They were a below .500 team and out of the playoffs not to mention all the in-fighting on that team. You act like these teams and seasons are fluid.  Can you see now?

You are completely clueless.  The Browns were 6-6 and fighting for a playoff spot when we ran for 179 against them.  The Raiders were 5-4 when we ran for 153 against them.  The Patriots were 10-3 when we ran for 164 against them.  The Ravens were 6-2 when we ran for 153 against them.

You don't even know enough to troll properly.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 06:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not true at all.  Despite missing two games with injury in the 6 games he played in the first half of the season he had 22 tackles 5 TFL and 5 QB hits.

His numbers the second half of the season were much better, but that was because they were among the best in the league.  Among DEs he was #1 in tackles, sacks, and tipped passes, #2 in QB hits (only 1 behind Joey Bosa), and #4 in Tackles for Loss. 

EVERY player in the league pads his stats against weaker teams, but Dunlap was getting PDs, TFL, QB hits, and lots of tackles in almost every game.

I have no idea how PFf works I just use my eyes. If Dunlap dosen’t set the edge in the run does that count negatively ? When your supposed to keep Baker Mayfield in the pocket and Dunlap comes screaming upfield letting Baker roll out and throw is that counted as a pressure ? When you finally get into the back field after the QB had all day to throw is that consider a pressure ? We’re paying Dunlap to be DE 1 and our best pass rusher. When you need to get to the QB in a big game versus a good team during a big 3rd down will he make the play ? We do this every year the defense has been awful the last 3 years and every time we criticize players PFF says there good. Geno is a stud , Dunlap stud , Vigil isn’t bad , this guy Bynes was supposedly a PFF stud last year , Bates is a stud , Williams Jackson has good PFF grades , Kirkpatrick is rated high on PFF and so on. Makes it seem like we have an all star defense and we’re awful every year.
Reply/Quote
Carlos picked up his play later in the year last season. We need him & others to do it now.
Reply/Quote