Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NRA president Oliver North decries 'culture of violence' but worked on 'Call of Duty
(08-27-2018, 04:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: https://www.yahoo.com/news/david-katz-neighbours-speak-shock-124439778.html

Thought this could go here as good as anyplace.

A quick look at the comments section and I see people blaming the fact that he is 24 and living with his parents and that kids don't spend enough time outdoors anymore.  The fact that he is a snowflake and our society makes everyone "a winner" these days are also cited.  

I'll admit, I didn't see people blaming participation trophies for this, but there you have it.  Interesting.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-23-2018, 05:24 PM)PhilHos Wrote:  
Sigh ... The point is that North did not explicitly state video games are part of the "violent culture" he was railing about.

The point that went over your head is how stupid it is to complain about a "culture of violence" and then NOT include violent video games.

It is called hypocrisy.
(08-27-2018, 04:06 PM)Nately120 Wrote: A quick look at the comments section and I see people blaming the fact that he is 24 and living with his parents and that kids don't spend enough time outdoors anymore.  The fact that he is a snowflake and our society makes everyone "a winner" these days are also cited.  

I'll admit, I didn't see people blaming participation trophies for this, but there you have it.  Interesting.

I'm shocked it's taken so long for one of these to occur at an esports event. I followed a few scenes, and in many ways your average esports gamer checks off quite a few of the same boxes as your average mass shooter.

Sucks. Hope I'm not at the next one.
(08-27-2018, 05:49 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: I'm shocked it's taken so long for one of these to occur at an esports event. I followed a few scenes, and in many ways your average esports gamer checks off quite a few of the same boxes as your average mass shooter.

Sucks. Hope I'm not at the next one.

I'm not sure professional gaming is something we can apply to real-life, for the most part.  That article says the shooter was vying for a $25k pot, and it mentions some professional gamers making over $100k per year.  It's a high-stress and competition driven thing, as silly as it sounds.  

If you've ever watched Forensic Files, you'll know that males in this country are quite prone to deadly bursts of anger. So it goes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I am relatively involved in the Madden scene and have a background in facility security so I'll weigh in a bit. There is nothing unique to gaming, or Madden, that make it any more susceptible to mass shooting events. You could replace pick up basketball tournament with madden tournament and it makes no difference. The reality is that people continue to use violence to lash out at others they simply don't like, in this case some serious mental illness issues were underlying and that again is not unique to video games.

One thing I have noticed a lot is people talking about event security and how it was a factor here. The families have gotten lawyers already and plan to sue which is now the American way. As someone in the security industry I can tell you that there is no way an event like this could realistically be equipped to stop a planned shooting event. It's simply not feasible to fortify everywhere, which is what it seems many people believe is expected otherwise there is liability involved beyond the shooter. If there is a shooting at a McDonalds, should every McDonalds now have 24 hr a day armed security? Work place shooting and violence in general are as likely as events like this, meaning a shooting can literally occur anywhere at anytime and to think we can secure everywhere in a way to prevent this stuff is simply wishful thinking.