Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NY gov cries about Tax reform instead of cutting his own
https://www.wsj.com/articles/andrew-cuomos-tax-lament-1514500689

Would have preferred a flat tax of 15% across the board but the good thing about this trump tax reform is that states will now he held accountable for their outrageous tax rates. This should force them to elect more candidates focused on reasonable tax plans.

Which is a positive.

Quote:Andrew Cuomo’s Tax Lament

Sorry, Governor, the ‘double taxation’ in New York is yours.

The Editorial Board
Dec. 28, 2017 5:38 p.m. ET
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo speaks during a news conference in New York City, Nov. 1.
Andrew Cuomo must be getting nervous. The Democratic Governor is worried enough about federal tax reform’s impact on New York that he says the new law may be “unconstitutional” and his state may have to “restructure” its tax code. One out of two isn’t bad for Mr. Cuomo.

“We’re going to propose a restructuring of our tax code. I’m not even sure what they [Republicans] did is legally constitutional and that’s something we’re looking at now,” he told CNN on Thursday. “You can change the tax code. You can’t penalize my state because of its political affiliation. There’s never been a double taxation before in the history of the nation.”

Sure there has. States and localities are allowed to impose their own income taxes, and so can the feds since the 16th Amendment was added to the Constitution in 1913. Mr. Cuomo is upset that the feds have now limited the federal deduction for state and local taxes to $10,000, but there’s nothing in the Constitution that says Congress can’t do that.

Congress isn’t forcing New York to do anything, and the deduction cap is imposed equally on all 50 states. If New York taxpayers are hurt by the new law, the reason is because the Empire State taxes them too much. Nothing is stopping Mr. Cuomo from proposing to fix the New York code so it drives fewer rich people out of the state.

If Mr. Cuomo is serious about tax “restructuring,” he might remember his frequent line from his 2010 campaign when he opposed extending an income-tax surtax and liked to say, “New York has no future as the tax capital of the nation.”
I’m assuming nobody has questioned him on his moronic statement that it may be unconstitutional.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(01-03-2018, 10:41 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I’m assuming nobody has questioned him on his moronic statement that it may be unconstitutional.

Probably not as it might be.

https://verdict.justia.com/2017/12/27/new-tax-law-punishes-blue-states-constitutional

The hard part would be proving the GOP did it on purpose...as opposed to accidentally harming only blue state.

Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Damn those blue states and their high taxes providing better schools and attracting better jobs. I can't believe they actually give more to the federal government than they take.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(01-04-2018, 10:43 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Damn those blue states and their high taxes providing better schools and attracting better jobs. I can't believe they actually give more to the federal government than they take.

I know! Who do these states think they are, providing services to their citizenry at the state level instead of relying on the big federal government to take care of their problems for them? We certainly should not be incentivizing these states to take care of problems in a manner that is likely to be more effective and efficient for the population within their borders because they know better than the federal government does. And...

Oh, hell, I'm done trying to point out the ridiculousness of people wanting to punish states for being more self-reliant while bitching about an oversized federal government.
(01-04-2018, 10:43 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I can't believe they actually give more to the federal government than they take.

Well, sure, considering their high state & local taxes are subsidized by everyone else.  Instead of higher transfers payments it just comes off the top via higher deductions for SALT.
--------------------------------------------------------

(01-04-2018, 10:36 AM)GMDino Wrote: Probably not as it might be.

https://verdict.justia.com/2017/12/27/new-tax-law-punishes-blue-states-constitutional

The hard part would be proving the GOP did it on purpose...as opposed to accidentally harming only blue state.

Smirk

Well hell I'm going to have to start informing people that this new limit only applies to blue state Hillary voters.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(01-04-2018, 06:59 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Well hell I'm going to have to start informing people that this new limit only applies to blue state Hillary voters.  

I'm just saying he didn't make it up.  There's a basis for the statement.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(01-04-2018, 05:20 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Well, sure, considering their high state & local taxes are subsidized by everyone else.  Instead of higher transfers payments it just comes off the top via higher deductions for SALT.

Even with those breaks they are still contributing more to the federal government. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]