Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NYT: Can my Children be friends with white people
(11-14-2017, 10:24 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: The numbers show out on fatherless and broken Homes in the black community.   Sorry if you don’t like it

And of those 30% with fathers in the home.... how many are like this clown?  Unfortunately it’s probably more than anyone thinks.

As Matt pointed out, the statistics are flawed, but even if they were not, they do not prove that "the problem" facing the black community is parenting (or a lack thereof). 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-14-2017, 11:08 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: The numbers are based off married mother and father in the home. The number one indicator of success and wealth is when a child grows up in a home with a married mother and father . The numbers are staggering how much farther ahead Thise children are when it comes to life.

Child in the womb should be hoping for one thing..... to have a married mother and father in the home.

This is moving the goalposts. Your argument was that these children were in fatherless homes, but presented with evidence to the contrary you are attempting to alter your argument retrospectively. There are a lot of studies out there providing various degrees of evidence on the effects of a single-parent household, one with cohabiting parents, and one with married parents for different results, none of which can conclusively show a causal relationship.
(11-14-2017, 01:22 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: This is moving the goalposts. Your argument was that these children were in fatherless homes, but presented with evidence to the contrary you are attempting to alter your argument retrospectively. There are a lot of studies out there providing various degrees of evidence on the effects of a single-parent household, one with cohabiting parents, and one with married parents for different results, none of which can conclusively show a causal relationship.

When I mention this topic I always refer to married mother and father at home. I don’t include two people shacking up, gay marriages, or any other combination. Nothing is better than a married mother and father.
Can I let my kids be friends with transgenders?

Asking for a friend.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(11-14-2017, 02:52 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: When I mention this topic I always refer to married mother and father at home. I don’t include two people shacking up, gay marriages, or any other combination. Nothing is better than a married mother and father.

Then the term used should not be fatherless homes, as it is an inaccurate description.
(11-14-2017, 03:38 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Then the term used should not be fatherless homes, as it is an inaccurate description.

Fatherless Homes fits the description just fine. You are just trying the old leftist word game stuff. You know very well what I am speaking about and you are just looking for an angle because you know the data shows I am correct. It is ok to just say “you know your right Lucie, it pains me to say it and I wish it weren’t true, but it is.....”
(11-13-2017, 02:37 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/11/11/opinion/sunday/interracial-friendship-donald-trump.html?referer=https://t.co/3w1en0a3ei?amp=1

What a clown.  And probably a bigot.  

There is hope, though. Implicitly, without meaning to, Mr. Trump asks us if this is the best we can do. It falls to us to do better. We cannot agree on our politics, but we can declare that we stand beside one another against cheap attack and devaluation; that we live together and not simply beside one another. In the coming years, when my boys ask again their questions about who can be their best friend, I pray for a more hopeful answer.

Seems like this guy is asking "us" to do better, like "stand beside one another against cheap attack and devaluation."  Maybe he is talking about blacks too?

This could be one step away from ISIS, but I am not seeing it.  I know some were unable to finish reading this piece, but can some of those reacting to it maybe cite what seem to be the worst parts and explain why they are so bad?
(11-14-2017, 02:59 PM)GMDino Wrote: Can I let my kids be friends with transgenders?

Asking for a friend.

Sure. They may even be transgenders. 
(11-14-2017, 08:10 PM)Dill Wrote: There is hope, though. Implicitly, without meaning to, Mr. Trump asks us if this is the best we can do. It falls to us to do better. We cannot agree on our politics, but we can declare that we stand beside one another against cheap attack and devaluation; that we live together and not simply beside one another. In the coming years, when my boys ask again their questions about who can be their best friend, I pray for a more hopeful answer.

Seems like this guy is asking "us" to do better, like "stand beside one another against cheap attack and devaluation."  Maybe he is talking about blacks too?

This could be one step away from ISIS, but I am not seeing it.  I know some were unable to finish reading this piece, but can some of those reacting to it maybe cite what seem to be the worst parts and explain why they are so bad?

Telling your child to be afraid of others because you are a coward. If he doesn’t like white people and thinks they are violent towards blacks then teach his son to defend himself. Instead he is teaching his son to be a scared coward.

I guess it’s just a coward father turning his son into a coward.
(11-14-2017, 08:10 PM)Dill Wrote: I know some were unable to finish reading this piece, but can some of those reacting to it maybe cite what seem to be the worst parts and explain why they are so bad?

He blamed Doctors for Blacks not having an Opioid problem. 

America is transfixed on the opioid epidemic among white Americans (who often get hooked after being overprescribed painkillers — while studies show that doctors underprescribe pain medication for African-Americans). 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(11-14-2017, 07:45 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Fatherless Homes fits the description just fine. You are just trying the old leftist word game stuff. You know very well what I am speaking about and you are just looking for an angle because you know the data shows I am correct. It is ok to just say “you know your right Lucie, it pains me to say it and I wish it weren’t true, but it is.....”

It doesn't accurately describe the situation at all. I also did not know you were trying to count unmarried, cohabiting parents as a fatherless home, so I didn't know very well that was what you intended. When seeing the term "fatherless home" I logically assume it means a home in which the father is not present, which if the parents are cohabiting is not the case.
(11-14-2017, 08:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: He blamed Doctors for Blacks not having an Opioid problem. 

America is transfixed on the opioid epidemic among white Americans (who often get hooked after being overprescribed painkillers — while studies show that doctors underprescribe pain medication for African-Americans). 

When you phrase it that way, it sounds like he is upset because blacks have a right to an opiod problem, but doctors are discriminating against them by underprescribing, just as restaurants in the segregated South discriminated against them by refusing to serve "coloreds. "

But could he have been pointing out an altogether different disparity--perhaps noting that the same kind of attention afforded white drug problems has not been afforded black?
(11-14-2017, 09:27 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It doesn't accurately describe the situation at all. I also did not know you were trying to count unmarried, cohabiting parents as a fatherless home, so I didn't know very well that was what you intended. When seeing the term "fatherless home" I logically assume it means a home in which the father is not present, which if the parents are cohabiting is not the case.

Shacked up mother and father are better than single parents, gay Parents, or foster parents . But that’s not saying much.
(11-14-2017, 08:33 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Telling your child to be afraid of others because you are a coward.  If he doesn’t like white people and thinks they are violent towards blacks then teach his son to defend himself.   Instead he is teaching his son to be a scared coward.

I don't understand why speaking out on an issue that will likely bring a lot of heat down on him makes him a coward.

I didn't read any part where he said he didn't like white people. At one point he seems to be saying that some white people are accepting racist behaviors in a certain leader and saying they aren't down with it but it's the only way to achieve their political goals. Looks like he thinks white people willing to do that maybe see their fellow black citizens and their concerns as insignifcant or expendable. Is that what you mean by not liking white people? He seems to have white friends.

I can understand why the Trump support might be a concern to a black person. But you say the guy's "cowardice" is what bothers you most? He ought to be teaching his son to fight?

I don't see why that is a good response to the problem he is addressing. Will whites be readier to accept blacks as valued equal citizens if blacks teach their sons to fight? 

MLK accomlished a great deal by rejecting that solution. I don't think he was a coward though.
(11-14-2017, 08:10 PM)Dill Wrote: There is hope, though. Implicitly, without meaning to, Mr. Trump asks us if this is the best we can do. It falls to us to do better. We cannot agree on our politics, but we can declare that we stand beside one another against cheap attack and devaluation; that we live together and not simply beside one another. In the coming years, when my boys ask again their questions about who can be their best friend, I pray for a more hopeful answer.

If I tell my kids to be suspicious and distrustful when it comes to being friends with black people would you ask this same question? If I tell them their color is a fault line, will you be impressed by later flowery language?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(11-14-2017, 08:33 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Telling your child to be afraid of others because you are a coward.  If he doesn’t like white people and thinks they are violent towards blacks then teach his son to defend himself.   Instead he is teaching his son to be a scared coward.

Yeah!  Just hope he gets bullied by white kids though...to make him tough!

Did I do that right?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(11-14-2017, 10:08 PM)Dill Wrote: When you phrase it that way, it sounds like he is upset because blacks have a right to an opiod problem, but doctors are discriminating against them by underprescribing, just as restaurants in the segregated South discriminated against them by refusing to serve "coloreds. "

But could he have been pointing out an altogether different disparity--perhaps noting that the same kind of attention afforded white drug problems has not been afforded black?

Hell, he could have been doing a great many things; however, I can only go by his words and provide you with an example for which you asked.

I'll leave it to you to paint them with rationale and to try an infuse "coloreds" not getting served at restaurants about 60 years ago into the equation.  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(11-14-2017, 10:08 PM)Dill Wrote: When you phrase it that way, it sounds like he is upset because blacks have a right to an opiod problem, but doctors are discriminating against them by underprescribing, just as restaurants in the segregated South discriminated against them by refusing to serve "coloreds. "

It's not surprising that you didn't catch the absurdity in his very first sentence

America is transfixed on the opioid epidemic among white Americans.
Gee I thought it was all Americans.
(11-14-2017, 10:30 PM)michaelsean Wrote: If I tell my kids to be suspicious and distrustful when it comes to being friends with black people would you ask this same question?  If I tell them their color is a fault line, will you be impressed by later flowery language?

I don't think the situation of white children in the US is simply the inverse of black. The US does not have a history of blacks enslaving whites, nor of blacks lynching whites, nor of blacks legally discriminating against whites in education, in the military, in housing, and in employment. The issue agitating so many Americans today is whether this past still marks the present in less violent, less visible ways. I can understand why some blacks might not like being told to "suck it up" if they complain of perceived racism. And I can see why they might be a little anxious if large numbers of whites indicate they voted for Trump because they are tired of "political correctness."

I'd be interested in hearing what you would tell your children about the color fault line if they were black. African-Americans are not all unified on these issues. I doubt that Allen West or Ben Carson would write op eds fearful of a "Trump effect" on minorities in America.  Would those children need to know anything about past racism? Would it be better if they don't learn much, or anything, about that past?
(11-14-2017, 10:28 PM)Dill Wrote: I don't understand why speaking out on an issue that will likely bring a lot of heat down on him makes him a coward.

I didn't read any part where he said he didn't like white people. At one point he seems to be saying that some white people are accepting racist behaviors in a certain leader and saying they aren't down with it but it's the only way to achieve their political goals. Looks like he thinks white people willing to do that maybe see their fellow black citizens and their concerns as insignifcant or expendable. Is that what you mean by not liking white people? He seems to have white friends.

I can understand why the Trump support might be a concern to a black person. But you say the guy's "cowardice" is what bothers you most? He ought to be teaching his son to fight?

I don't see why that is a good response to the problem he is addressing. Will whites be readier to accept blacks as valued equal citizens if blacks teach their sons to fight? 

MLK accomlished a great deal by rejecting that solution. I don't think he was a coward though.

I’m not sure I have read a collection of more absurd notions in one post this side of a Dino Post.

I’m not sure I have enough time or space in this forum to teach you how to not be a coward. That was your father’s job. If you don’t know the difference than I’m not sure what to say. All I know is that you should t tell your child that people are out to get him and he should be afraid to the point he shouldn’t have any friends who are white.