Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NYT fail on Rubio
NYT attempted to rip Rubio's finances, saying his career was "bedeviled by financial troubles".

He bought a $80,000 "luxury speedboat"!

It was actually a modest fishing boat. He bought two new motors (at $16k a piece) making it worth $80k. Here's the model:

[Image: maxresdefault-540x303.jpg]

He received an $800k advance on a book deal and used $100k on... SCHOOL LOANS!!!!!!

His family had 17 parking tickets... only 4 belonging to Rubio.

He bought a new home in 2005 worth $550k with “an in-ground pool, a handsome brick driveway, meticulously manicured shrubs and oversized windows".

Because bad landscaping, asphalt, above ground pools, and smaller windows aren't good enough for him...

Watch Jon Stewart rip into the NYTs:

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/ctffc2/petty-in-print
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I wouldn't call it a huge fail.  The article was pretty concerning, reading like a typical American who struggled to manage their finances and spending like someone counting heavily on their income increasing in 5-10 years.

I don't really care about the boat if he wanted to treat himself, though it's ill advised.  $800k, even after taxes, is enough to rescue even some of the most reckless.  $80k is not a yacht, but it's not a boat your average person buys, either.  $800k after taxes isn't that much, either, and for a guy who's been in debt $80k is a pretty dumb purchase - classic example of "money burnin' a hole in your pocket".

It could be turned around as a shining example of someone of modest means breaking into high-level politics (I'm talking all the financial troubles before the book bailout).  Either way, I think it bears some consideration rather than quickly dismissed as nothing.
I would quickly dismiss it as nothing. It seems unbelievably lazy as I'm sure there is something real you can get on just about any politician. An $80,000 boat for someone with his salary of $175,000 and the advance plus whatever he makes above that advance isn't a big deal. Especially if fishing is your thing. You can have that boat for a long time.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Pretty common down here. And it's not like thaf some massive boat.... Standard boat to run around near the shore..... Not deep water.

It's too bad Rubio sold out....
The NYTimes article noted an income of $90,000 in 2001.  Yet, despite being "bedeviled by financial troubles," he earned more than 80% of American households according to Census income records for 2001.  It's tough all over for the top 20%.
In the words of a Major I used to work with: "The New York Times is a rag!".
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(06-11-2015, 05:05 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I would quickly dismiss it as nothing.  It seems unbelievably lazy as I'm sure there is something real you can get on just about any politician.  An $80,000 boat for someone with his salary of $175,000 and the advance plus whatever he makes above that advance isn't a big deal.  Especially if fishing is your thing.  You can have that boat for a long time.

The boat isn't a big deal...but $800k after taxes and his other debts leaves you with around $300k.  Not particularly advisable to invest in a money pit after just climbing out of debt.  And $175k is a nice salary, but doesn't leave you as much as you might think when you have to maintain a second residence in DC.

It's not demonstrative of financial acumen that inspires confidence.  I'm a little skeptical of these book deals in general - seem more like a direct, personal handout from publishers that would be illegal for other campaign donors. I think some of these hacks we see in elections now are really just hoping to get exposure to land a book deal or analyst job.
(06-11-2015, 07:10 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: The boat isn't a big deal...but $800k after taxes and his other debts leaves you with around $300k.  Not particularly advisable to invest in a money pit after just climbing out of debt.  And $175k is a nice salary, but doesn't leave you as much as you might think when you have to maintain a second residence in DC.

It's not demonstrative of financial acumen that inspires confidence.  I'm a little skeptical of these book deals in general - seem more like a direct, personal handout from publishers that would be illegal for other campaign donors.  I think some of these hacks we see in elections now are really just hoping to get exposure to land a book deal or analyst job.

Illegal how?
This is the same publication that spiked stories in 2008 about then-candidate Obama's active involvement and friendship with Black Liberation Theology pastor Jeremiah Wright, and then his close association with domestic terrorist bombers Bill Ayers and Bernardine Dohrn. Nothing to see there, folks. Hey, Ayers is "just a guy who lives in my neighborhood".

But Marco Rubio has gotten a couple of tickets while driving - AND owns a "high-speed luxury boat" (in reality, a fishing boat)? FRONT-PAGE NEWS, baby!!
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]
John Kerry's Luxury $7MILLION yacht berthed outside of Mass to avoid paying $500,000 taxes. NY times, silence

[Image: Senator-John-Kerrys-Yacht-Isabel-1.jpg]
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]