No opinion
0%
0 0%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marijuana

In light of the events on Friday.  I have a poll that I am interested in.  Mods, if this needs moved, please ask Benton.

Where do you stand on this?

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/420-investor-most-excited-ive-200112739.html

I am for this because I use, and support legalization.

Please be civil without arguing, or this will be moved to P&R.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I voted other as I don't use. I quit decades ago. The problem with investing in it is the supply issue. Yes there is demand but lots of competition here. I kind of want to invest here but it's tricky. If forced to make a choice probably would buy a basket or an ETF. Constellation Brands is the big corporate presence in the field. They sell beer and spirits like Corona, Modelo, Wild Irish Rose along with their weed presence. Probably less risk but not as high of a return maybe. To each their own.
Reply/Quote
Legalize it, tax it.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2020, 10:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Legalize it, tax it.

Yup.

Right now it costs tens of billions every year arresting, adjudicating and housing marijuana offenders. The bulk of those are possession charges. Legalizing it alone would save billions; taxing it would generate much, much more. We tax alcohol, cigarettes, junk food (in most states at least). 
Reply/Quote
I'm in CT, a state that is in financial ruin and nearly surrounded by states that are legalizing and taxing the snot out of it. It's only a matter of time.

Id take the under on 20 years, possibly 15, for it to be federally decriminalized.
Reply/Quote
Definitely legalize it.

It will improve public health as less people will smoke cigarettes and drink.

It has a million health benefits.

It's the only known way to regrow brain cells (stem cell could eventually do the trick, but that's still a while down the road IMCO) and makes me think clearly.

Tax the hell out of it because people will pay whatever. It can make you feel good without impacting the way you function like alcohol does and doesn't cause any problems like tobacco.

I do think they need to be careful because adding chemicals and whatever to it can cause harm (it was killing people but haven't heard anything in a while).
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2020, 12:36 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: I'm in CT, a state that is in financial ruin and nearly surrounded by states that are legalizing and taxing the snot out of it. It's only a matter of time.

Id take the under on 20 years, possibly 15, for it to be federally decriminalized.

Yeah, Kentucky is the #3 producing state and it's not even legal here.  It would do so much for the economy and solve a lot of problems.

Actually, I just noticed that that's from 2006. 

Not sure when this is from, but it also says that Kentucky is #3.

Quote:The actual best place to grow marijuana in America is probably in a bunch of illegal states. Kentucky and Tennessee are believed to have the most marijuana grown outdoors in the United States behind only California. Obviously all of that is illegal. 

I think that's from 2020.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2020, 02:17 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Definitely legalize it.

It will improve public health as less people will smoke cigarettes and drink.

It has a million health benefits.

In fairness (remember, I'm for it), there are health concerns. It can result in a number of lung diseases, including possibly cancer. Unlike tobacco, which has been studied since it was legal, the full positives/negatives from marijuana aren't known.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2020, 04:06 AM)Benton Wrote: In fairness (remember, I'm for it), there are health concerns. It can result in a number of lung diseases, including possibly cancer. Unlike tobacco, which has been studied since it was legal, the full positives/negatives from marijuana aren't known.

Good point.  Now they can start to study it.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2020, 04:06 AM)Benton Wrote: In fairness (remember, I'm for it), there are health concerns. It can result in a number of lung diseases, including possibly cancer. Unlike tobacco, which has been studied since it was legal, the full positives/negatives from marijuana aren't known.

I vape it, so I'm good there because all the risk factors I know of come from the smoke irritating the lungs.  

Is there any other possible damage to the lungs that I don't know about?
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2020, 09:59 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I vape it, so I'm good there because all the risk factors I know of come from the smoke irritating the lungs.  

Is there any other possible damage to the lungs that I don't know about?

Fairly certain bringing vapor or moisture into your lungs isn't good for them. There's a disease goin' round that does that.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2020, 06:03 PM)Goalpost Wrote: I voted other as I don't use.  I quit decades ago.  The problem with investing in it is the supply issue.  Yes there is demand but lots of competition here. I kind of want to invest here but it's tricky.  If forced to make a choice probably would buy a basket or an ETF.  Constellation Brands is the big corporate presence in the field.  They sell beer and spirits like Corona, Modelo, Wild Irish Rose along with their weed presence.  Probably less risk but not as high of a return maybe.  To each their own.

I invested in CGC a few weeks ago. Another decent play would be IIPR, which buys and leases properties for marijuana growth farms. Like you, I voted other. I’m ok with legalization, but there should be some control. Taxing too hard could cause prices to sky rocket therefore making medical marijuana more expensive than street smoke. Which could find dangerous laced products freely distributed. 

Another concern would be detecting real-time levels in a person’s system. Just like alcohol, you wouldn’t want people driving while high. Yes, some would argue that it has no effect on their driving, but I could also claim that I drive better after 6 beers. And since neither would be in a sober state of mind, we could agree that’s BS.

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2020, 11:06 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Another concern would be detecting real-time levels in a person’s system. Just like alcohol, you wouldn’t want people driving while high.

This.

So far it has been difficult to devise a field sobriety test for pot, and there is a lot of debate over what the legal limit should be in the blood stream to justify a DUI conviction.

But right now the marijuana laws have become a joke.  In some places it is still illegal yet people are advertising it for sale.  In DC it is legal to possess but illegal to sale, so I saw where a shop was selling T-shirts for $25 and giving a free gram of weed to each buyer.  Here in Tennessee CBD with miniscule levels of THC are legal, but that is like saying beer with 1% alcohol is not beer.  No matter how low the level is, if you drink enough of it you will still get drunk.  Even the DAs I work with are saying the laws can't be enforced so they should just legalize it.

Pot is not harmless.  Employers at certain jobs will be justified in barring their employees from using it.  And high levels of THC impair people enough that they should not drive.  But overall it should be treated like alcohol.  Legal but regulated.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2020, 12:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

So far it has been difficult to devise a field sobriety test for pot, and there is a lot of debate over what the legal limit should be in the blood stream to justify a DUI conviction.

But right now the marijuana laws have become a joke.  In some places it is still illegal yet people are advertising it for sale.  In DC it is legal to possess but illegal to sale, so I saw where a shop was selling T-shirts for $25 and giving a free gram of weed to each buyer.  Here in Tennessee CBD with miniscule levels of THC are legal, but that is like saying beer with 1% alcohol is not beer.  No matter how low the level is, if you drink enough of it you will still get drunk.  Even the DAs I work with are saying the laws can't be enforced so they should just legalize it.

Pot is not harmless.  Employers at certain jobs will be justified in barring their employees from using it.  And high levels of THC impair people enough that they should not drive.  But overall it should be treated like alcohol.  Legal but regulated.

Test 1: Cops could just be given Twinkies and every time they pull someone over place one on the hood of the car. If the person makes it through the entire stop without going for the Twinkies then he/she passed

Test 2: Tell the person a joke that's not very funny such as: "Why can’t you hear a pterodactyl go to the bathroom? Because the pee is silent." If the person laughs hysterically he/she failed

Test 3: Tell the person a random fact such as: "You need to consume a quart of water each day for four months to equate to the amount of blood your heart pumps in one hour" or "The full name for the protein nicknamed titin has 189,819 letters and would take three and a half hours to say out loud." If person doesn't lose his/her shit he/she passed.

Test 4: Tell them the Bengals was going to win the 2021 Super Bowl. If they believe you, they failed.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2020, 12:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

Personally I treat it like alcohol, so I've never driven under the influence.  You're 100% right, sometimes I have trouble walking, let alone drive.

Do you have any idea on how close they are to developing any type of test to measure levels?
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2020, 02:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Test 1: Cops could just be given Twinkies and every time they pull someone over place one on the hood of the car. If the person makes it through the entire stop without going for the Twinkies then he/she passed

Test 2: Tell the person a joke that's not very funny such as: "Why can’t you hear a pterodactyl go to the bathroom? Because the pee is silent." If the person laughs hysterically he/she failed

Test 3: Tell the person a random fact such as: "You need to consume a quart of water each day for four months to equate to the amount of blood your heart pumps in one hour" or "The full name for the protein nicknamed titin has 189,819 letters and would take three and a half hours to say out loud." If person doesn't lose his/her shit he/she passed.

Test 4: Tell them the Bengals was going to win the 2021 Super Bowl. If they believe you, they failed.

Hilarious
Reply/Quote