Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Name someone you were right about we didn't go after!
Any player that wasn't cut. Our fascination with comp picks is killing us. If even we do happen to strike gold with one of them, we'll let them walk because they demanded a contract in line with their value.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Man...

Trade for Anquan Boldin (we signed Bryant, then TO instead)
Brandon LaFell (we actually signed him - obviously - and it worked out)
Nick Fairley
Karlos Dansby (the first time)
Alex Mack
VJax
Jacoby Jones as a returner/4th WR. (he wound up playing a key role in Balt's SB run that year...ouch)

Full disclosure though, I've been wrong on several as well.

Steve Slaton
Michael Bush
Ahmad Bradshaw
Brandon Lloyd
Kevin Kolb (I actually wanted to trade for him and let him compete with rookie Dalton... lol)

Long story short, free agency is a bad place to find RBs.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 07:36 PM)Housh Wrote: ditto

The need was there. He was available

We just thought Bodine was good enough smh

oops

Yup....the Falcons had a need at C...they signed him.  It must've worked out fairly well. Mellow 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 07:50 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Man...

Trade for Anquan Boldin (we signed Bryant, then TO instead)
Brandon LaFell (we actually signed him - obviously - and it worked out)
Nick Fairley
Karlos Dansby (the first time)
Alex Mack
VJax
Jacoby Jones as a returner/4th WR. (he wound up playing a key role in Balt's SB run that year...ouch)

Full disclosure though, I've been wrong on several as well.

Steve Slaton
Michael Bush
Ahmad Bradshaw
Brandon Lloyd
Kevin Kolb (I actually wanted to trade for him and let him compete with rookie Dalton... lol)

Long story short, free agency is a bad place to find RBs.

Thing is...they still coulda had Bouldin...and he still produces.  

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 07:57 PM)Wyche Wrote: Thing is...they still coulda had Bouldin...and he still produces.  

C'mon, brother. We know how this works.

Actual Bengals free agency checklist:

1. Was player cut or unrestricted free agent. If UFA, avoid at all costs. If cut, kick the tires.
2. Is player at least 5 seasons past his prime? If No, avoid at all costs. If Yes, kick the tires.
3. Does player have ties to the state of Ohio? If No, avoid at all costs. If Yes, kick the tires.
4. Is player cheap? If No, avoid at all costs. If Yes, kick the tires.
5. Will signing this cheap, over the hill, native Ohioan, that is cheap as **** cost us a comp pick? If Yes, avoid at all costs. If No, proceed with caution while kicking the tires.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 07:57 PM)Wyche Wrote: Thing is...they still coulda had Bouldin...and he still produces.  

Had they traded for him when I wanted him, they would've had their #2 problem solved for 7+ seasons.

That one still irks me when I think about it.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 08:02 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: C'mon, brother. We know how this works.

Actual Bengals free agency checklist:

1. Was player cut or unrestricted free agent. If UFA, avoid at all costs. If cut, kick the tires.
2. Is player at least 5 seasons past his prime? If No, avoid at all costs. If Yes, kick the tires.
3. Does player have ties to the state of Ohio? If No, avoid at all costs. If Yes, kick the tires.
4. Is player cheap? If No, avoid at all costs. If Yes, kick the tires.
5. Will signing this cheap, over the hill, native Ohioan, that is cheap as **** cost us a comp pick? If Yes, avoid at all costs. If No, proceed with caution while kicking the tires.

LMAO  Sad but true.....what a sham this FO is.

(03-07-2017, 08:02 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Had they traded for him when I wanted him, they would've had their #2 problem solved for 7+ seasons.

No doubt brother....I was in your corner then....still am...and was one of the few that still wanted him this year.  I think ol Matt Stafford would back us up.....

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 08:02 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Had they traded for him when I wanted him, they would've had their #2 problem solved for 7+ seasons.

Should of went after Boldin no question. Should of last year and i liked what Lafell brought to our team.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 06:33 PM)Wyche Wrote: It's gotta be Mack, expensive or not.  I wanted him badly....Daryl Smith is a good call too, or Dansby several years ago.

Yeah...Dansby over Harrison. Dansby fit the system more in that he could cover TE's and was extremely productive then.

Unfortunately the Bengals took Harrison because he'd sign for less than Dansby. Dollars over fit.

He wasn't bad this past year...but he's like 35.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 08:06 PM)Wyche Wrote: No doubt brother....I was in your corner then....still am...and was one of the few that still wanted him this year.  I think ol Matt Stafford would back us up.....

I was against signing Boldin after we signed LaFell, but I would've been just fine with signing him instead of LaFell. He's lost speed, but he's still crafty and strong. Fights for the ball.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 06:37 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Warren Sapp.  Smirk

I remember my grandfather telling me it was a done deal then an hour later he was signed by the raiders. We win the Superbowl in 2006 if he is on the team by the way.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 06:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Give me Wisnewski over Mangold but actually Mangold is the exact type we go after, very realistic.

Wisnewski, Sheard, Sean Spence, Nick Fairley (once again) are what i am pushing for this time.

I thought GB's LB Nick Perry played his butt off in the playoffs even with a broken hand. He's out there.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 03:35 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He signed a 4 year $28.5 million contract. While that's reasonable for a DE...it's a lot for the Bengals to dish out.

They signed Antonio Bryant for 4 years $28 million, ironically. 
Reply/Quote
Hard to think of who I wanted, I don't have a good memory. But I did want boldin last year, and Alex mack,I wanted Reggie Nelson back, I wanted lagaret blount when we got bjge. I wanted Dwight freeney badly. About all I can think of. I did want Reggie bush a few years ago too.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 11:20 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I thought GB's LB Nick Perry played his butt off in the playoffs even with a broken hand. He's out there.

Fits us well too, 4-3 End type.

Datone Jones from GB would also be a great pick up for us.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 03:28 PM)Bengalsrob Wrote: Through the years, we have all touted players that we thought would be the next big thing....but failed miserably. We all remember the "Lefever fever" and me and a few others liked some QB/WR big fast guy whose name I can't even remember. But....have you ever touted a player who most people didn't want for whatever reason that DID pan out where he went next, and you wish Bengals World had listened to you?? Thought this might be a fun thread for free agent time. My personal pick would be Richie Incognito, and boy could we use him now with Zeitler apparently gone. He was cut from the Dolphins for "bullying" a 6'4" 300 plus pound lineman he played beside. At the time I conceded he was a little brash and outspoken, but I thought he would be a great addition, and add some toughness to our team, and I'm pretty sure it would have worked out for us! I was reminded of him when I was watching the combine the other day, and they said he ran a 4.74 forty at his combine. So, no right or wrong answers here, all for fun; but who did you see as a real addition to the team where the Bengals should have listened to YOU but didn't??

I never caught any Lefever fever, thankfully.

However, I never really get worked up thinking the Bengals should go after so-and-so cause I know full well that if I feel that way about a player then the team surely won't make an attempt to sign them.

I did want them to sign Freeney and Boldin last year and I'm sure they would have helped us have a better season.

Reply/Quote
I've wanted Daryl Smith since the beginning of time as he would be such a solid LB for us that could have helped out for years. He keeps going elsewhere and producing even though he is always available late in FA
Reply/Quote