Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
PFT.com: Eifert Article
(05-28-2018, 08:45 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I love Gio but he’s never going to be an elite player.

You did see him average 4.9 per carry at the end of the season last year, correct?  And that was with a make-shift line of Boling at LT, Westerman and Redmond at the Guard spots, and Bodine in the middle.  

I think given his receiving ability, and a better offensive line, he might have his best season yet....even though they are calling Mixon the bell-cow, I think Gio has a good shot of being a huge part of the 2018 Bengals.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2018, 09:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know if it is like this for everyone, but when I played football it was mostly instinctual. There were so many thing I did naturally without even thinking about.  When I was playing with an injury it was hard for me to protect it because I was just reacting and doing things too fast to think about changing something to protect an injury.

Maybe by the time these guys get to the NFL level they are able to think more about what they are doing, but I remember playing with an injured shoulder.  It hurt like hell to tackle with it, but I would drive in with that shoulder before I could even think about trying to protect it.

Once you step on the field and flip that switch it is hard to change the way you have always played because so much of it is based on instinct instead of thought.  At least it was with me.

On defense, I might tend to agree with this....Having playing QB and CB, I can tell you that I approached the two very differently.  While on defense, it was hair-on-fire, fly to the ball, and just try to make plays.  On offense, I had to think of the exact spot to move the chains, ball security, throwing a guy open and not in to traffic, etc.  When I would scramble, and it was to throw not run, I would always protect myself as I released the ball.  Only taking a huge hit when absolutely necessary.  Kurt Warner would get pummeled so often when he would hold the ball until the last possible second.  Took tons of hits, but it was a part of what made him successful.

I would never have been able to hold up under such a beating.  I would get to the sticks and get down.  Ditto the sidelines.  I think on offense, a little self-preservation can be taught/learned.  Eifert has taken some huge shots and I would love to see the guy survive a 19 game season. 
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2018, 07:09 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: You did see him average 4.9 per carry at the end of the season last year, correct?  And that was with a make-shift line of Boling at LT, Westerman and Redmond at the Guard spots, and Bodine in the middle.  

I think given his receiving ability, and a better offensive line, he might have his best season yet....even though they are calling Mixon the bell-cow, I think Gio has a good shot of being a huge part of the 2018 Bengals.  

So you think Gio has the potential to be a top 5 RB in the league? Because that’s how I define elite. One of the absolute very best at the position. Again, I love Gio, and agree he could have s career year if things go right, but elite? Nah.

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2018, 09:38 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: So you think Gio has the potential to be a top 5 RB in the league? Because that’s how I define elite. One of the absolute very best at the position. Again, I love Gio, and agree he could have s career year if things go right, but elite? Nah.

Potential is what makes it possible.  He has elite skills as a receiver and as a RB.  We have seen flashes, but we haven't seen consistency.  But, you can say that for almost every back under Paul Alexander's line the past few years.  

I just think everyone is looking to Mixon to be the bell cow, and Gio probably didn't like the fourth round RB they drafted out of Miami.  But you are right, more than likely a career year that would be tough to sustain....but who knows?  
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2018, 09:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know if it is like this for everyone, but when I played football it was mostly instinctual. There were so many thing I did naturally without even thinking about.  When I was playing with an injury it was hard for me to protect it because I was just reacting and doing things too fast to think about changing something to protect an injury.

Maybe by the time these guys get to the NFL level they are able to think more about what they are doing, but I remember playing with an injured shoulder.  It hurt like hell to tackle with it, but I would drive in with that shoulder before I could even think about trying to protect it.

Once you step on the field and flip that switch it is hard to change the way you have always played because so much of it is based on instinct instead of thought.  At least it was with me.
Agree.  We all played with tons of injuries, and even back in the day the pros did too.  I remember seeing guys with Hamstring injuries and they would have their whole thigh wrapped up to their hip in ace bandages and tape.  Guess maybe the million dollar contracts have taken away from the heroics of yester year as teams and players are trying to protect their investments.
Reply/Quote
I am hopeful for a full season from him. I have had a number of conversations with my fellow fans here in Atlanta and the consensus is that he will probably be good for around 8 games. The highest number anyone gave was 10 but the average was 8 games. I just hope we can keep him playing as much as possible. When he is on the field he is a great asset!
Reply/Quote
I really hope Eifert is back to form this year. But I just don't know.. Back issues are tough. I really wished we would have drafted a tight end in the second round. We were in perfect position to nab Goedert, but traded down for Bates. I really like Bates, but I would feel a lot better about our tight end situation going forward if we drafted Goedert. Probably could have traded up and still got Bates. Oh well, sorry for complaining. I'm excited for Bates, hope Eifert stays healthy.
Reply/Quote
It was my story they aggregated / linked to :-)

For what it's worth, Tyler is pretty positive about everything. I know he wants to get out there with 11s but I think he's gone through enough to trust what the docs / therapists tell him to do. While he has to learn the offense just like anyone else, the fact they know what he can do allows them to keep him on a modest schedule until camp. That's when, I think, we'll really see where he's at physically and how they're going to use him. He's a guy I can see getting "off days" (vet days) in season, for sure.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 07:46 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: I really hope Eifert is back to form this year. But I just don't know.. Back issues are tough. I really wished we would have drafted a tight end in the second round. We were in perfect position to nab Goedert, but traded down for Bates. I really like Bates, but I would feel a lot better about our tight end situation going forward if we drafted Goedert. Probably could have traded up and still got Bates. Oh well, sorry for complaining. I'm excited for Bates, hope Eifert stays healthy.

I did not have a specific target, but I predicted we would draft a TE in the early rounds.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 10:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I did not have a specific target, but I predicted we would draft a TE in the early rounds.

Hopefully Jim has better insight than I do, but I have a feeling Mason Schreck will make his presence felt... if he stays healthy.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2018, 07:31 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am hoping for a comeback player of the year season for Eifert.  He is a good guy that has had tons of bad luck.  One piece of advice I would have for him is make the grab, move the chains, but don't absorb the hits for an extra yard.  Preserve yourself for the entire season.  Chad used to always avoid bit hits but Eifert doesn't have close to his elusiveness.

Best of luck, Tyler...we are pulling for you.

Was thinking the same thing, it is okay to go down when getting tackled to save yourself. Hope he learns to do this
cause as everyone knows the Offense is on another level when he is healthy. With a decent O-line and a healthy
Eifert we could really do some damage this season.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2018, 09:50 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I am as big of an optimist as anyone here, and even I can't see Eifert playing a full season.

I'd be tempted to PUP him and hope he can stay healthy for the second half of the season and playoffs.

He is a game changer when healthy.  Other than Green he is our only elite player on offense.

Well...........We shall see.   IF....the O-Line is at least AVERAGE, We have PERHAPS Green, Eifort, Kroft, LaFell and Ross (super speedy) pluss good backs. We CAN have a seriously tough offense. 

The Bengals CAN take a giant step and be a playoff team. They ALSO can be underachieving like last year, with injurys, coaching fails,  the whole dark side. It will be a VERY interesting season and....I'm a bit optimistic.    I'm also a fan of Golden State......and WAY more confident in them. 

They did it step by step. BUILT  the foundation, built a winning culture.  That Franchise had a LONG run of FAIL.
Reply/Quote
Quote:He is a game changer when healthy. Other than Green he is our only elite player on offense.
Are you forgetting how elite Ced is? Ok, not exactly elite in the direction most Bengals fans would prefer ,but there is eliteness in two directions, good and utterly terrible . Nervous
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote