Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nancy Pelosi is too far Right for the Democrat base
(09-21-2017, 11:27 AM)PhilHos Wrote: There is no racism scale. You either are or are not a racist. There's no partial racists or 3/4 racists. Whether people know you are, whether you openly admit you are makes no difference. You either are a racist or you are not.

Maybe the option provided for "bigotry" is a better word then.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-21-2017, 11:29 AM)GMDino Wrote: Maybe the option provided for "bigotry" is a better word then.

Go for it. There's still no scale, though. This is one of those things you either are one or you are not.
(09-21-2017, 11:31 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Go for it. There's still no scale, though. This is one of those things you either are one or you are not.

There certainly is a prejudice scale with racist/bigot being on the one end of it. 

Everyone has some sort of prejudice. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-21-2017, 01:11 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: There certainly is a prejudice scale with racist/bigot being on the one end of it. 

No, there's not, unless you count 2 choices as a scale. You are either prejuidiced/racist/biogted or you're not. There's no partial prejuidice at all. 

(09-21-2017, 01:11 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Everyone has some sort of prejudice. 

True. But they are either prejudiced towards something or they are not. There is no scale of prejudicism.
(09-21-2017, 09:05 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: An argument could be made that White Nationalists constitute a base. DACA recipients? I couldn't call a number less than the amount of kids I teach in a day a "base". 

I said illegal residents, that does not currently include DACA.

An argument could be made for a great many things, depending on your motivation; it doesn't mean rational people will give them much merit.

I think it is ignorant to consider either population a base; however, I'm not prone to such exaggerated stances.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(09-21-2017, 11:31 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Go for it. There's still no scale, though. This is one of those things you either are one or you are not.

The problem is you are most likely conservative and live in a black and white world. A liberal's world is full of countless shades of gray.

A common stance is: It's OK to be prejudice; as long as you are prejudice against the same things as I am.

Also racist has just became a term for anyone that disagrees with a liberal.

(09-21-2017, 01:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I said illegal residents, that does not currently include DACA.

An argument could be made for a great many things, depending on your motivation; it doesn't mean rational people will give them much merit.

I think it is ignorant to consider either population a base; however, I'm not prone to such exaggerated stances.

I've always considered one's base to be the main component of one's supporters. Basically, this was just another way to call all those that voted for Trump or still support him racist.

(09-21-2017, 01:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The problem is you are most likely conservative and live in a black and white world. A liberal's world is full of countless shades of gray.

True. These are the same people who think there are more than 4 genders (male, female, both, and none).
(09-21-2017, 01:57 PM)PhilHos Wrote: 1)I've always considered one's base to be the main component of one's supporters. Basically, this was just another way to call all those that voted for Trump or still support him racist.

2) True. These are the same people who think there are more than 4 genders (male, female, both, and none).
1) Of course it is. You sell the narrative that Trump's base is White Supremacists, then you can build the association to anyone that voted for Trump. Also you can feel better about losing.

2). That is another example of many. Which is wrong? Who knows; but it is a fundamental difference.

(09-21-2017, 01:45 PM)PhilHos Wrote: No, there's not, unless you count 2 choices as a scale. You are either prejuidiced/racist/biogted or you're not. There's no partial prejuidice at all. 

True. But they are either prejudiced towards something or they are not. There is no scale of prejudicism.

So you consider a white woman someone who unconsciously clutches her purse closer to her when she walks past a group of black guys the same as someone who advocates for segregation based on skin color?

There isn't a single person alive who doesn't have some sort of prejudice. 

(09-21-2017, 01:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I said illegal residents, that does not currently include DACA.

I think it is ignorant to consider either population a base; 

Your exact question was "Are you also guessing that 0 % of DACA members voted?"

You're using a strict definition for "base". Any reliable group of voters constitutes a base. 

Quote:however, I'm not prone to such exaggerated stances.

lol, still got that bfine humor 

(09-21-2017, 02:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: 1) Of course it is. You sell the narrative that Trump's base is White Supremacists, then you can build the association to anyone that voted for Trump. Also you can feel better about losing.

That is the kind of witless argument I keep hearing from the right.

I don't know a single person who said everyone who voted for Trump is a white supremacist/nazi/racist.

I know a LOT of people who have said that the white supremacist/nazi/racists people voted for Trump.  Including white supremacist/nazi/racist people.

There is a difference.

And people who want pretend they are victims of being lumped in with that group when they say they are not in that group make me wonder about their ability to understand the difference.
(09-21-2017, 02:23 PM)GMDino Wrote: That is the kind of witless argument I keep hearing from the right.

I don't know a single person who said everyone who voted for Trump is a white supremacist/nazi/racist.

I know a LOT of people who have said that the white supremacist/nazi/racists people voted for Trump.  Including white supremacist/nazi/racist people.

There is a difference.

And people who want pretend they are victims of being lumped in with that group when they say they are not in that group make me wonder about their ability to understand the difference.
Personal insults right on cue from the Teflon Troll.

Never mind, I apologize and accept full responsibility for any retort from you that could be viewed as condescending in nature. I will look to improve my posting habits moving forward and beg the board's forgiveness of my transgressions.

(09-21-2017, 02:28 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Personal insults right on cue from the Teflon Troll.

Never mind, I apologize and accept full responsibility for any retort from you that could be viewed as condescending in nature. I will look to improve my posting habits moving forward and beg the board's forgiveness of my transgressions.

Smirk
(09-21-2017, 01:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The problem is you are most likely conservative and live in a black and white world. A liberal's world is full of countless shades of gray.  

Interesting, I would have thought it the other way around....in fact I'd argue in many cases it's the liberal view that someone must either be for or against something - there are no shades of gray or qualified arguments or exceptional considerations.
--------------------------------------------------------

(09-21-2017, 03:18 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Interesting, I would have thought it the other way around....in fact I'd argue in many cases it's the liberal view that someone must either be for or against something - there are no shades of gray or qualified arguments or exceptional considerations.

You're thinking of the Sith. Only they deal in absolutes. 

(09-21-2017, 01:57 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I've always considered one's base to be the main component of one's supporters. Basically, this was just another way to call all those that voted for Trump or still support him racist.

See, I see the base being the most ardent supporters. Those that eat up all that a candidate is selling to them. When I think of Trump's base I think of r/T_D, the Pepe meme, etc. Honestly, if you told me you were a conservative and voted for Trump, I would not expect you to be a part of Trump's base because those he reached out to most weren't cheering a conservative message. The base aren't the ones that go "I like this person over this other person," they are the ones going "I LIKE THIS PERSON!"
(09-21-2017, 03:25 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: See, I see the base being the most ardent supporters. Those that eat up all that a candidate is selling to them. When I think of Trump's base I think of r/T_D, the Pepe meme, etc. Honestly, if you told me you were a conservative and voted for Trump, I would not expect you to be a part of Trump's base because those he reached out to most weren't cheering a conservative message. The base aren't the ones that go "I like this person over this other person," they are the ones going "I LIKE THIS PERSON!"

So you agree with the OP that DACA are the Right's base?

(09-21-2017, 02:13 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: So you consider a white woman someone who unconsciously clutches her purse closer to her when she walks past a group of black guys the same as someone who advocates for segregation based on skin color?

No, I don't, because I don't know why she's clutching her purse closer. Is because she does that for ANY group of guys regardless of race? Or is it because she's a racist? If it's the latter, then she's a racist. 

[b Wrote:BmorePat87][/b]
There isn't a single person alive who doesn't have some sort of prejudice.

True, but preferring redheads over brunettes isn't exactly the same thing as thinking all white people should be killed.
(09-21-2017, 03:25 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: See, I see the base being the most ardent supporters. Those that eat up all that a candidate is selling to them. When I think of Trump's base I think of r/T_D, the Pepe meme, etc. Honestly, if you told me you were a conservative and voted for Trump, I would not expect you to be a part of Trump's base because those he reached out to most weren't cheering a conservative message. The base aren't the ones that go "I like this person over this other person," they are the ones going "I LIKE THIS PERSON!"

I guess I could see it that way. I don't know if I can say that I agree, but I can see the logic in what you say.

I don't know. I'll give it some thought. Let you know if you convinced me.
(09-21-2017, 03:50 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So you agree with the OP that DACA are the Right's base?

I didn't read the OP saying that, but I'm also not sure what you are saying. Are you saying there was a claim by the OP that DACA recipients are a part of the base of the right wing? That's my best inference from your post, and if so, I would have to say that DACA recipients make up far too varied of a group for me to agree or disagree with them being the base for any politician, party, ideology, etc.