Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nate Burleson On GMF About Marvin!
I was just watching this morning's episode of Good Morning Football on NFL Network, and Nate Burleson said that the promise that he wants from any coach in the NFL this season is for Marvin to promise that, if we don't win a playoff game, he'll step away from the head coaching position and move into a front office position.

This made me just as confused as when people on here mention it.

We've given him 15 years and, yes, he did help change the culture and brought us some winning seasons, but he hasn't gotten us over the hump and what qualities has he shown that make anyone think that he can run the business side of things or is good at identifying talent?

I agree that he got Mike to make a lot of changes and give up a lot of power, but Mike's getting old and he's not going to want to have to deal with all that, so bring in a pro, not Marvin.

Of course, we could win a playoff game and make it an irrelevant point, but I think it's just a stupid thought to want him in the front office.
Reply/Quote
I don’t understand not wanting Marvin in the FO? The difference between this franchise before and after his arrival can’t be overlooked. The guy knows football. I just don’t think he has whatever it is that makes a great game day coach. Whether it’s preparation, in game decisions, not having enough control of his players, or any other number of things. He could be an asset in evaluating talent though. He doesn’t have to necessarily be the GM, just another voice to help Tobin.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Nate Burleson is a self-absorbed tool. Right, wrong or indifferent who cares what he thinks.

Reply/Quote
(06-04-2018, 11:54 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t understand not wanting Marvin in the FO? The difference between this franchise before and after his arrival can’t be overlooked. The guy knows football. I just don’t think he has whatever it is that makes a great game day coach. Whether it’s preparation, in game decisions, not having enough control of his players, or any other number of things. He could be an asset in evaluating talent though. He doesn’t have to necessarily be the GM, just another voice to help Tobin.

I agree that this franchise has come a long way with Marvin, but who's to say that he would even be a fraction as good at evaluating talent as someone that's a professional at doing it?

I also don't know that he has developed his mind enough to evaluate talent in the modern age of college football or what's needed to be a quality NFL player.  

I also think he was becoming burnt-out prior to this season, but I think the new coaches and apparent change in culture has him rejuvenated.  

Maybe he would be a good evaluator of talent for draft picks, but I think maybe only for defense, and also consider how many busts we've had under Marvin, which it's not as many as before he was here, but that's not setting the bar very high.
Reply/Quote
With a FO as small as ours I just don’t see how it can hurt to add someone with as much experience as Marvin. Remember, he’s been around the block before coming here. He’s seen how the Steelers and Ravens operate from the inside.

Reply/Quote
Marvin kept us from being the Browns after we were the browns in the 90s. He deserves a lot of credit, and then have half of it removed for the stagnation and lack of playoffs wins and Lombardy.
Reply/Quote
And suppose we actually win the super bowl... THEN he steps down and is replaced by Dave Shula 2.0? Or gawd forbid they give piano man his first head coaching job.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Marvin will be here until he wants to leave.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2018, 12:51 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Marvin kept us from being the Browns after we were the browns in the 90s. He deserves a lot of credit, and then have half of it removed for the stagnation and lack of playoffs wins and Lombardy.

He does deserve a lot of credit and I appreciate everything that he's done for the franchise, fans, city, and whoever else, but it's time to move on.  

He changed the attitude and culture here, but that doesn't mean we should just settle for staying mediocre and not wanting more, which he started.
Reply/Quote
Here's to hoping Marv gets to go out with a bang and the Lombardy..  If he doesn't it won't be from a lack of aggravation whilst trying.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-04-2018, 11:48 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I was just watching this morning's episode of Good Morning Football on NFL Network, and Nate Burleson said that the promise that he wants from any coach in the NFL this season is for Marvin to promise that, if we don't win a playoff game, he'll step away from the head coaching position and move into a front office position.

We've given him 15 years and, yes, he did help change the culture and brought us some winning seasons, but he hasn't gotten us over the hump and what qualities has he shown that make anyone think that he can run the business side of things or is good at identifying talent?

I agree that he got Mike to make a lot of changes and give up a lot of power, but Mike's getting old and he's not going to want to have to deal with all that, so bring in a pro, not Marvin.

Of course, we could win a playoff game and make it an irrelevant point, but I think it's just a stupid thought to want him in the front office.

I will say that Marvin has shown no apparent interest in such a position, but I don't think he was retiring in the so-called succession plan with Hue Jackson.  I think one of his biggest strengths is talent evaluation.  He would make a fine front office assistant GM or something, but I wouldn't want Marvin being the one to do contracts or be their cap-ologist.  That is way out of his league.  The thing is, how much would Marvin be compensated for such a position?  And wouldn't a future head coach rather not be handed players selected by the guy he replaced?

I don't know, but I don't see that position approaching anything close to what he made as a coach and I don't know how much he would want such a position for a salary likely under a million.  
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2018, 01:21 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Marvin will be here until he wants to leave.

This.

Especially after the events/changes of this off season I'd argue he has as much influence now as he ever did.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2018, 11:48 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I was just watching this morning's episode of Good Morning Football on NFL Network, and Nate Burleson said that the promise that he wants from any coach in the NFL this season is for Marvin to promise that, if we don't win a playoff game, he'll step away from the head coaching position and move into a front office position.

I think within the current ownership and front office set up Marvin would be very well placed to succeed in a more formal FO role

With his years in the league and his growing coaching diaspora (Zim, Gruden,Hjax, Joseph,etc...) he has a very strong network of links into most of the other teams for sounding out existing players, potential trade & draft pick wheeling & dealing.

He's been on the NFL competition committee so has given us presence as a franchise on the development of the wider game and its rules.

Between him and Duke Tobin we have continually recycled the roster through various drafts (yes, there are some busts but broadly we have drafted effectively for the past decade - or at least enough talent to put the coaching staff in a position to succeed) whilst never putting the franchise over the end of a barrel cap wise.

As a FO/GM type the main criticism may have been that in the past he sometimes took chances on players with questionable character plus he is at times naturally conservative in decision making which is fine for incremental , organic change but sometimes a franchise may need more drastic intervention  (though even here you could argue that both of these are more Mike B than Marvin traits
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2018, 11:59 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Nate Burleson is a self-absorbed tool. Right, wrong or indifferent who cares what he thinks.

Not even close.

He's a great guy and he does his job(s) very well.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

I'd guess the more important part of that promise is to step away from being HC. Whether he goes into a FO after isn't as big of a deal IMO.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Also, how does anyone pay attention to anyone else on the show when Kay Adams is there? :drool:
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-05-2018, 09:31 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Also, how does anyone pay attention to anyone else on the show when Kay Adams is there?  :drool:

I agree with this.  That girl is gorgeous!   Wub
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2018, 12:09 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I agree that this franchise has come a long way with Marvin, but who's to say that he would even be a fraction as good at evaluating talent as someone that's a professional at doing it?

I also don't know that he has developed his mind enough to evaluate talent in the modern age of college football or what's needed to be a quality NFL player.  

I also think he was becoming burnt-out prior to this season, but I think the new coaches and apparent change in culture has him rejuvenated.  

Maybe he would be a good evaluator of talent for draft picks, but I think maybe only for defense, and also consider how many busts we've had under Marvin, which it's not as many as before he was here, but that's not setting the bar very high.

are you suggesting an NFL head coach cant evaluate talent better than a guy that doesn't coach at all?
Reply/Quote
I guess I'm in the minority here. When Merv decides to stop coaching. I don't want him anywhere near the FO. To me, his decision making skills are not that great and I have feeling if MB stepped down and Merv took over, it'd be more of the same conservatism approach to everything.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2018, 07:48 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I will say that Marvin has shown no apparent interest in such a position, but I don't think he was retiring in the so-called succession plan with Hue Jackson.  I think one of his biggest strengths is talent evaluation.  He would make a fine front office assistant GM or something, but I wouldn't want Marvin being the one to do contracts or be their cap-ologist.  That is way out of his league.  The thing is, how much would Marvin be compensated for such a position?  And wouldn't a future head coach rather not be handed players selected by the guy he replaced?

I don't know, but I don't see that position approaching anything close to what he made as a coach and I don't know how much he would want such a position for a salary likely under a million.  

when old marvin leaves here,he will be coaching with the steelers.He is a steeler dude through and through.
Reply/Quote