Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nate Burleson On GMF About Marvin!
There's so much we don't see - for better or worse.

There are indicators.  I think of the whole Carson Palmer debacle, the possible look behind the vail during the Batman/ Robin season.  But honestly we don't know.

I don't like the way he handles the team in crunch time, but I'm not privy to his thought process.

I do think he's a lot smarter than we think, and I think he was hamstrung by Mr. Brown a lot more than had been thought (by me at least)

He crafted a two year deal for a reason.  Unless the team is an unmitigated disaster I think he needs two years of rope.   The deal tells me he thinks he can be successful in one year but get us over the hump and deeper into the playoffs in two.

He appears to have a plan that involved significant enough changes that it may take two years for the players to adjust to it.

All due respect to Burleson, I say we give him the two years before we ask him to bow the head.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2018, 10:49 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: are you suggesting an NFL head coach cant evaluate talent better than a guy that doesn't coach at all?

Possibly.

How many NFL GMs that make the personnel decisions for their teams are also coaches?

I agree that the coach would give some insight, but I think being a head coach doesn't automatically make someone an excellent evaluator of talent, especially when you look at guys that haven't been given playing time when they clearly deserve it or guys that have just been buried on the depth chart, even though they're better than guys in front of them.

Who was it that had to go to Marvin to tell him to start another (younger) player over him?  John Thornton?

It takes skill to craft a roster to play to a team's strengths, which is another area that I just don't trust Marvin in.
Reply/Quote
I believe Marv’s response, a couple of years ago, to being asked about eventually moving into a FO role was “Never going to happen, I’m a coach and I want to coach.”
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2018, 11:48 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I was just watching this morning's episode of Good Morning Football on NFL Network, and Nate Burleson said that the promise that he wants from any coach in the NFL this season is for Marvin to promise that, if we don't win a playoff game, he'll step away from the head coaching position and move into a front office position.

This made me just as confused as when people on here mention it.

We've given him 15 years and, yes, he did help change the culture and brought us some winning seasons, but he hasn't gotten us over the hump and what qualities has he shown that make anyone think that he can run the business side of things or is good at identifying talent?

I agree that he got Mike to make a lot of changes and give up a lot of power, but Mike's getting old and he's not going to want to have to deal with all that, so bring in a pro, not Marvin.

Of course, we could win a playoff game and make it an irrelevant point, but I think it's just a stupid thought to want him in the front office.

I actually disagree Brad. Marv is really good at identifying talent at times and is really good at putting a team together.

His problems stem from not being the best motivator and being too damn conservative as a Head Coach.

I don't know if Marv would want to go to the FO anyways, but i would not see it as a terrible thing. Marv knows football.

He is just not a great HC clearly. We will see what happens this year but i think we are going to do some damage with the
improved O-line and Defense that comes from that improvement. I really believe that Lazor, Austin, Pollack are all being thought about to be the next HC in a couple years.
Reply/Quote
Being a Bengals fan is something else, I tells ya. What other fan-base can honestly say they have no idea if a HC who fails to win a playoff game in 16 seasons will be shown the door or not?
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2018, 05:47 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Being a Bengals fan is something else, I tells ya.  What other fan-base can honestly say they have no idea if a HC who fails to win a playoff game in 16 seasons will be shown the door or not?

It is wild. Don't know another fan-base with this enigma.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2018, 05:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is wild. Don't know another fan-base with this enigma.

It's not HC related, but the Lions have a single playoff win between now and the time when I Love Lucy was still making new episodes...so there is that.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2018, 01:21 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Marvin will be here until he wants to leave.

Well, as long as he wins the last 2 games of the season too ...  Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2018, 09:31 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Also, how does anyone pay attention to anyone else on the show when Kay Adams is there? :drool:

Kay is beyond gorgeous.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2018, 05:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I actually disagree Brad. Marv is really good at identifying talent at times and is really good at putting a team together.

His problems stem from not being the best motivator and being too damn conservative as a Head Coach.

I don't know if Marv would want to go to the FO anyways, but i would not see it as a terrible thing. Marv knows football.

He is just not a great HC clearly. We will see what happens this year but i think we are going to do some damage with the
improved O-line and Defense that comes from that improvement. I really believe that Lazor, Austin, Pollack are all being thought about to be the next HC in a couple years.
Fair enough.

I guess I look at it as, if he were a good evaluator of talent, he'd know how to use it and wouldn't be so conservative.  If you know what you've got, USE IT!
(06-06-2018, 12:31 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Kay is beyond gorgeous.

She answered one of my Tweets about the anthem protests.........  I still have an erection.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2018, 12:31 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Kay is beyond gorgeous.

She's alright..... Ninja
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2018, 11:59 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Nate Burleson is a self-absorbed tool. Right, wrong or indifferent who cares what he thinks.

[Image: what.gif]

I've never gotten anything close to that sense from Burleson. Seems like a nice, thoughtful guy. 

He was well respected as a player, also.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2018, 03:47 PM)3wt Wrote: There's so much we don't see - for better or worse.

There are indicators.  I think of the whole Carson Palmer debacle, the possible look behind the vail during the Batman/ Robin season.  But honestly we don't know.

I don't like the way he handles the team in crunch time, but I'm not privy to his thought process.

I do think he's a lot smarter than we think, and I think he was hamstrung by Mr. Brown a lot more than had been thought (by me at least)

He crafted a two year deal for a reason.  Unless the team is an unmitigated disaster I think he needs two years of rope.   The deal tells me he thinks he can be successful in one year but get us over the hump and deeper into the playoffs in two.

He appears to have a plan that involved significant enough changes that it may take two years for the players to adjust to it.

All due respect to Burleson, I say we give him the two years before we ask him to bow the head.

Two years of rope, eh? So if year 16 ain't "the year" - year 17 might be?  Bang Head

Man this crap was pathetic after 10 years and we're working on 20 now. There will be guys in college that weren't alive when someone other than Marvin was coaching the Bengals, and we're still talking about when they'll win a single playoff game. Pathetic. No offense meant to you, just ranting here.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2018, 02:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Two years of rope, eh? So if year 16 ain't "the year" - year 17 might be?  Bang Head

Man this crap was pathetic after 10 years and we're working on 20 now. There will be guys in college that weren't alive when someone other than Marvin was coaching the Bengals, and we're still talking about when they'll win a single playoff game. Pathetic. No offense meant to you, just ranting here.

Agree, although I AM anxious to see what Merv can get done without a meddling "assistant HC" on the sidelines.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-06-2018, 03:01 PM)Wyche Wrote: Agree, although I AM anxious to see what Merv can get done without a meddling "assistant HC" on the sidelines.....

and Marvin would have gotten away with a Playoff game win too, had it not been for that Meddling kid !

Mystery solved Scoob !

Rooby roo.

Now get in the van Shaggy.

Zoinks !!!
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2018, 03:25 PM)depthchart Wrote: and Marvin would have gotten away with a Playoff game win too, had it not been for that Meddling kid !

Mystery solved Scoob !

Rooby roo.

Now get in the van Shaggy.

Zoinks !!!

Took the thoughts right out of my head as I typed that phrase......... Smirk

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-06-2018, 02:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Two years of rope, eh? So if year 16 ain't "the year" - year 17 might be?  Bang Head

No offense taken Shake, and I get it, it's a long time between drinks of water with a lot of frustrating crunch time losses. 

I really don't know if Marvin shook himself out of the grasp of restrictions and had more going on than we knew.  But if he did it did not have to do with his philosophy of how you win on game day.  So I'm with you on that.

I have always thought Marvin's strength was putting the right people together, as well as helping talented players to get out of their own way.   Hopefully that will be enough this year.   I'm counting on the fact that he has put the right group together.

There's a reason all the talking heads have written us off.    But I have this feeling that we should not sleep on the Bengals this year.   I think he gets us to the playoffs again.

What happens then?   Let's hope his team pulls us through and he stays out of his own way. :andy:
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2018, 02:17 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: She answered one of my Tweets about the anthem protests.........  I still have an erection.

TMI Brad.   Wink
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2018, 02:27 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: [Image: what.gif]

I've never gotten anything close to that sense from Burleson. Seems like a nice, thoughtful guy. 

He was well respected as a player, also.
Indeed.

AND, he's Canadian Wink
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2018, 10:10 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Indeed.

AND, he's Canadian Wink

Must explain why he's so nice, ay?  Smirk
Reply/Quote