Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nate's 2nd Mock...
1st round - OJ Howard TE Alabama - This is sounding more and more likely with Eifert's injuries, this guy is the best TE
in the deepest TE draft class maybe ever. He can block and catch great, great insurance that adds another top weapon.

2nd round - Jordan Willis DE Kansas State - The pass rusher opposite Dunlap we have needed for so long, this guy
can also stop the run so he would be used immediately in the rotation.

3rd round - Samaji Perine RB Oklahoma - This is a very versatile RB that could start immediately, very polished and
he can do it all. Flying up my board.

4th round - Pat Elflein C Ohio State - Get our Center for the future, he falls cause of his shorter arms.

4th round - Isaac Asiata OG Utah - Nasty, violent run blocker, the interior is looking good now.

5th round - Josh Malone WR Tennessee - Tall, fast deep threat, could be a steal here like MLJ.

5th round - Eddie Vanderdoes DT UCLA - Big run stopper behind Billings.

6th round - Julie'n Davenport OT Bucknell - Raw talented OT for the future.

6th round - K.D. Cannon WR Baylor - This dude is another big, fast, deep threat that can be a returner as well.

7th round - TJ Logan RB North Carolina - Fast returner type in case Gio is never the same, nice backfield.

7th round - Eric Wilson LB Cincinnati - Smaller, quick outside LB that would be help on ST's.
Reply/Quote
I'm not a huge fan of going TE in the first, but with the way the rest of this draft plays out I'd still be thrilled. You still addressed RB and DE in the first 3 rounds. I'd prefer a WR to Howard but I don't value the TE position as much as others do, I'm fine with one injury prone star at TE and the solid players we have behind him for when he's out. You got 2 of my favorite OL in the draft in the 4th round (not sure elflien lasts that long though). I continually find myself mocking the 4 players you have in rounds 4-5 to us. Malone could be a huge steal. That draft would definitely be an A
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2017, 04:19 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I'm not a huge fan of going TE in the first, but with the way the rest of this draft plays out I'd still be thrilled. You still addressed RB and DE in the first 3 rounds. I'd prefer a WR to Howard but I don't value the TE position as much as others do, I'm fine with one injury prone star at TE and the solid players we have behind him for when he's out. You got 2 of my favorite OL in the draft in the 4th round (not sure elflien lasts that long though). I continually find myself mocking the 4 players you have in rounds 4-5 to us. Malone could be a huge steal. That draft would definitely be an A

Thanks LF40, i get why some don't like taking a TE in the first especially being as this is like i said the deepest draft
for TE's imagineable but taking Howard this early is great insurance for us. We have our guy to replace Eifert in case
he leaves, this guy is a great blocker so he helps out our young Tackles.

If Eifert stays we have one of the best TE duos in the game when he is healthy.

I am calling for BPA in the first then after that we can add to the trenches. I don't want us reaching for an End in
the first if the top 4 are gone. If there is one thing i would not be happy with is us reaching for a guy like Taco.

Thanks again for the rest of the positives, happy you like it brother. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2017, 03:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: 1st round - OJ Howard TE Alabama - This is sounding more and more likely with Eifert's injuries, this guy is the best TE
in the deepest TE draft class maybe ever. He can block and catch great, great insurance that adds another top weapon.

2nd round - Jordan Willis DE Kansas State - The pass rusher opposite Dunlap we have needed for so long, this guy

3rd round - Samaji Perine RB Oklahoma - This is a very versatile RB that could start immediately, very polished and

4th round - Pat Elflein C Ohio State - Get our Center for the future, he falls cause of his shorter arms.

4th round - Isaac Asiata OG Utah - Nasty, violent run blocker, the interior is looking good now.

5th round - Josh Malone WR Tennessee - Tall, fast deep threat, could be a steal here like MLJ.

6th round - K.D. Cannon WR Baylor - This dude is another big, fast, deep threat that can be a returner as well.

7th round - TJ Logan RB North Carolina - Fast returner type in case Gio is never the same, nice backfield.

7th round - Eric Wilson LB Cincinnati - Smaller, quick outside LB that would be help on ST's.

I love it.

Howard is my wish in the first because he can take our offense to the next level with two-tight end sets.

I've always said that ends are like receivers- a dime a dozen- but I do like how Willis has improved and could be a steal here.  I do think he needs a bit of coaching and don't know if I trust our staff to develop him.  Hell of a pick if it works out.

LOVE the Perine pick.

LOVE the Elfein pick and think he could be the stabilizer on the o-line that we've needed for years.

Asiata as well.

LOVE this draft  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
Great "balance" in this draft. Focus on depth on the offensive line, playmakers on both sides of the ball. I would be happy with this. I just can't shake the feeling that Zampese would waste a talent like Howard because only one of the OCs he worked under here had any clue what to do with a TE.

And that was for two years out of all the time he spent under Brat, Gruden, etc.
Reply/Quote
I'd be thrilled with that haul.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2017, 03:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: 1st round - OJ Howard TE Alabama - This is sounding more and more likely with Eifert's injuries, this guy is the best TE

It's a solid draft from top to bottom. However it's not what I would do just because I really don't want to draft a TE with limited production at 9. I do think we'll draft a TE and Howard could be the guy, I just don't want one at 9. I think we could probably get a nice solid TE in the mid rounds.

I like all 3 offensive lineman you have us drafting. Elflein would come in as a starter and Asiata and Davenport could potentially work their way to be starters.

I'm not too keen on drafting 2 WR and 2 RB's as I think we have our WR core set and might only need to draft 1. RB on the other hand, we might draft 2, but having both Hill and Gio(even though he's coming back from injury), plus Tre Mason on the PS makes me think we only go 1 rb.

Overall not too bad, not my ideal draft, but solid none the less!
Reply/Quote
Nice, balanced draft. I think round 3 is too early for Perine, so I might look for a WR there.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
Great mock! I love Basham in 2, but I'm coming to view Willis as a far more polished player. If I do another mock before next Friday, he'd be my pick in 2.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Eiflin and Asiata in the 4th would be a ***** dream come true haha.

While I'm not really on the Howard Hype train, I definitely understand the logic and he has the measurables to be productive (kind of wish he had the actual production though).

I want to see what DEs drop to the 2nd round before I pass judgment on Willis. He's definitely got some intriguing tools, but I wonder if he'll ever truly be a starter for this defense or if he'd just come in on third downs. The latter would not be worth a 2nd round pick, in my mind. With so many high quality DEs in this draft, I could easily see a first round DE like Taco falling to us. But only time will tell on that one.

I can't say I dislike a single pick here, position or player. Good job.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2017, 07:30 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I love it.

Howard is my wish in the first because he can take our offense to the next level with two-tight end sets.

I've always said that ends are like receivers- a dime a dozen- but I do like how Willis has improved and could be a steal here.  I do think he needs a bit of coaching and don't know if I trust our staff to develop him.  Hell of a pick if it works out.

LOVE the Perine pick.

LOVE the Elfein pick and think he could be the stabilizer on the o-line that we've needed for years.

Asiata as well.

LOVE this draft  ThumbsUp

Rock On

Thanks Brad, that is the thing, getting Howard pushes Zampese to use those sets more often. Very frustrating last
year watching him get too cute by not using the TE's more. Fisher was all over the place. It would of helped the O
as a whole much more by using TE's where they should be used. Let alone Fisher himself who is an O-lineman.

The Giants shown that drafting DE's is one of the ways to win a SB in this passing league and our guys besides
Dunlap have been bad lately. We need a gamechanger opposite Dunlap to solidify the DL, MJ is not it, Clarke could
be but we don't know that yet. We need some new Ends for Burney to work with, it was only his first year afterall,
he could get better and seemed like he did later last season with his guys.

Jordan Willis is athletic and can rush the passer and stop the run better than about any DE in this draft. He should
only fall cause he was at Kansas State. He is already a bit polished and can be a 3 down End unlike Barnett right
off the bat.

Thanks again.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2017, 01:33 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Eiflin and Asiata in the 4th would be a ***** dream come true haha.

While I'm not really on the Howard Hype train, I definitely understand the logic and he has the measurables to be productive (kind of wish he had the actual production though).

I want to see what DEs drop to the 2nd round before I pass judgment on Willis. He's definitely got some intriguing tools, but I wonder if he'll ever truly be a starter for this defense or if he'd just come in on third downs. The latter would not be worth a 2nd round pick, in my mind. With so many high quality DEs in this draft, I could easily see a first round DE like Taco falling to us. But only time will tell on that one.

I can't say I dislike a single pick here, position or player. Good job.

Yeah baby, got CJD, i like. Cool

That is the thing with Barnett, would love this pick cause he is a fine pass rusher who has great hands but his
run stopping ability has much to be desired. He wouldn't even be a 3 down End at 9 for heck sake. I believe
Willis would much sooner cause he has already shown this ability. I like Taco in the 2nd, i just pray we don't
reach for him at 9. A little slow for my liking and dances around a bit.

Thanks man. Happy to see people liking my Mock. Howard just makes a lot of sense if the top Ends are gone
with Eifert's injuries and our needing another blocker/weapon.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2017, 01:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Rock On

Thanks Brad, that is the thing, getting Howard pushes Zampese to use those sets more often. Very frustrating last
year watching him get too cute by not using the TE's more. Fisher was all over the place. It would of helped the O
as a whole much more by using TE's where they should be used. Let alone Fisher himself who is an O-lineman.

The Giants shown that drafting DE's is one of the ways to win a SB in this passing league and our guys besides
Dunlap have been bad lately. We need a gamechanger opposite Dunlap to solidify the DL, MJ is not it, Clarke could
be but we don't know that yet. We need some new Ends for Burney to work with, it was only his first year afterall,

Jordan Willis is athletic and can rush the passer and stop the run better than about any DE in this draft. He should
only fall cause he was at Kansas State. He is already a bit polished and can be a 3 down End unlike Barnett right
off the bat.

Thanks again.

You sold me on Willis....... I was just so against Barnett in the first that I hated ANY DE early, but now I'm liking the Willis pick.

People are so worried about Fisher and Ogbuehi, and rightfully so to not at least be cautious, which two-tight end sets would make their lives A LOT easier.

My concern is that Mike's old way of thinking would block the thought of drafting Howard because he was the type that wouldn't spend the money to draft Howard high because we have Uzomah and Kroft behind Eifert. I know Mike says he doesn't run much anymore, but the fear is always there.
Reply/Quote

I like it a lot, but I'm a Mixon guy if we go RB in the 3rd.  Perrine would be a nice consolation prize, though.  
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2017, 01:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Rock On

off the bat.

Thanks again.

I haven't seen many mocks that have us taking Howard, which frustrates me, but I've been surprised by our drafts in the past few years and none have really looked like any of the "expert's" mocks, so maybe there's hope.

This page on CincyJungle has 45 or 50 mock drafts with only one having us draft Howard in the first.

I've been watching tape on Willis and dude does look like a FREAK.  He needs to stay a bit lower, but that can be taught and he still killed the offenses he faced while being that high.  He'll obviously need to fix that as he faces better linemen in the NFL but, like I said, that can be taught.
Reply/Quote

i like O.J. Howard at #9 but imo both of your 4rd rd picks will go off the board in the 3rd rd....
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2017, 03:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: 1st round - OJ Howard TE Alabama - This is sounding more and more likely with Eifert's injuries, this guy is the best TE

4th round - Isaac Asiata OG Utah - Nasty, violent

run blocker, the interior is looking good now.

I would like the first 4 picks, great mock.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2017, 08:59 AM)Crowe Wrote: It's a solid draft from top to bottom. However it's not what I would do just because I really don't want to draft a TE with limited production at 9. I do think we'll draft a TE and Howard could be the guy, I just don't want one at 9. I think we could probably get a nice solid TE in the mid rounds.

I like all 3 offensive lineman you have us drafting. Elflein would come in as a starter and Asiata and Davenport could potentially work their way to be starters.

I'm not too keen on drafting 2 WR and 2 RB's as I think we have our WR core set and might only need to draft 1. RB on the other hand, we might draft 2, but having both Hill and Gio(even though he's coming back from injury), plus Tre Mason on the PS makes me think we only go 1 rb.

Overall not too bad, not my ideal draft, but solid none the less!

Howard just wasn't used as much of a pass catching TE at Bama. Doesn't mean he couldn't be a great pass
catcher though with his hands, size and speed. He is an Eifert type talent but a better blocker. With Eifert's
injuries he won't be starting early next season. Howard is great insurance, adds another blocker to help our
young Tackles and is a red zone threat.

I had 2 WR's and 2 RB's for insurance as well. 1 out of those guys could be special.

Sometimes you have to overdraft a position in case one flops. We need speed at WR and versatility at RB.

Thanks for the thoughts Crowe. :andy:
Reply/Quote

Looooove this draft.  Would be doing backflips.  My only concern is that I haven't seen a lot of two TE sets out of Zampese, and I really like what I saw in Uzomah in limited action.  Also, if they don't sign Eifert, are we basically just trading paint and are the same team?  Howard is probably higher rated as a prospect than Ross, so I could see the Bengals doing this, but I really, really like what I think Ross could do for this team.  

I think my favorite round is the 4th with Elflein and Asiata.  Wow, the interior of the line just became downright nasty.  With Cannon unlikely to have a roster spot, maybe take the huge dude from USC (Banner) and get him to be the backup RG/RT and see if Davenport can back up the LT spot.  

Great draft, man. 
Reply/Quote
So, I just did a SIM draft and our drafts are extraordinarily similar haha. So, I take back the criticism Tongue.
Reply/Quote