Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nate's first 2019 Mock...
Alrighty, my first one of the year, have a little time today. Here we go...

1st round: Christian Wilkins DT, Clemson - Taylor makes a statement and gets that 3-tech pass rusher next to Geno who is a beast and is very smart. Just does everything well and will be a solid to great pro for the next 10 years to help Geno become a HOF'er. Guy can play DT or End so he will see significant snaps immediately.

2nd round: Tytus Howard OT Bama - Dude is big, strong and powerful and will be an immediate upgrade at RT where Hart will back him up.

3rd round: Germaine Pratt OLB North Carolina State - Can cover and tackle, instant WILL or SAM, actually liking him better at SAM as Vigil is a decent WILL backer and is not that good of a SAM backer.

4th round: Elgton Jenkins C/OG/OT Missisippi State - Can play all the positions on the O-line, swiss army knife player for insurance.

5th round: Zach Gentry TE Michigan - Can block and catch solid, TE for the future.

6th round: Sione Takitaki LB BYU - Can play all the positions and is very smart with a great drive.

6th round: Alex Bars OG Notre Dame - Solid Guard for depth and could develop into a starter at either Guard spot.

6th round: Dexter Williams RB Notre Dame - Fast RB with skills, need one to replace Walton. This guy is better by far, to get him in the late 6th is a major steal.

6th round: Antoine Wesley WR Texas Tech - Big Receiver with great hands, 6'4".

6th round: Mark Fields CB Clemson - Solid CB for depth

7th round: Will Harris S Boston College - Simmons ST's pick.

Thoughts?
Reply/Quote
I just don't know if I can get on board with Wilkins at #11 with so many other players that I personally see as a better fit and higher rated.

I like the rest of it, but I'm just not sold on Wilkins that high.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 03:24 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I just don't know if I can get on board with Wilkins at #11 with so many other players that I personally see as a better fit and higher rated.

I like the rest of it, but I'm just not sold on Wilkins that high.

This is assuming the Broncos take White right in front of us and Hoch is already gone.

Just finding this more likely leading up to the Draft and Wilkins just dominated at Clemson and i believe he will dominate in the NFL.

The guy is just too good and i think if we are going to add one of these talented DT's in this draft it should be a 3-tech that can rush the passer. Wilkins can both rush the passer and stop the run, i just find this to be as solid of a pick as we can make assuming White and Hoch are gone.

Also would love Taylor here but i don't think we take an OT at 11.
Reply/Quote
Not bad at all. I'll give you points, just for taking Takitaki. I mean, what a name. Say it out loud a few times, and you'll get what I mean. LOL
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I like it. Realistic. Think we end up picking between wilkins and hockenson. Id be happy with either. Then grab a tackle and a linebacker in the next two rounds where the value is.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 03:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not bad at all. I'll give you points, just for taking Takitaki. I mean, what a name. Say it out loud a few times, and you'll get what I mean. LOL

Lol, yes, love the name but he was always making plays at BYU too. Takitaki was the stand out on that D.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 03:40 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: I like it. Realistic. Think we end up picking between wilkins and hockenson. Id be happy with either. Then grab a tackle and a linebacker in the next two rounds where the value is.

Thanks man, i agree with you. I tried to be as realistic as i could on this one. Didn't want to do another White Mock.

Really thinking the Broncos take him right in front of us. Everyone knows we need a LB and White would be the perfect pick for us. I think Bush would be a bit of a reach cause he is not the best tackler, i like him, but more so if we trade back, not at 11.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 02:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Alrighty, my first one of the year, have a little time today. Here we go...

1st round: Christian Wilkins DT, Clemson - Taylor makes a statement and gets that 3-tech pass rusher next to Geno who is a beast and is very smart. Just does everything well and will be a solid to great pro for the next 10 years to help Geno become a HOF'er. Guy can play DT or End so he will see significant snaps immediately.

2nd round: Tytus Howard OT Bama - Dude is big, strong and powerful and will be an immediate upgrade at RT where Hart will back him up.

3rd round: Germaine Pratt OLB North Carolina State - Can cover and tackle, instant WILL or SAM, actually liking him better at SAM as Vigil is a decent WILL backer and is not that good of a SAM backer.

4th round: Elgton Jenkins C/OG/OT Missisippi State - Can play all the positions on the O-line, swiss army knife player for insurance.

5th round: Troy Gentry TE Michigan - Can block and catch solid TE for the future.

6th round: Sione Takitaki LB BYU - Can play all the positions and is very smart with a great drive.

6th round: Alex Bars OG Notre Dame - Solid Guard for depth and could develop into a starter at either Guard spot.

6th round - Dexter Williams RB Notre Dame - Fast RB with skills, need one to replace Walton. This guy is better by far, to get him in the late 6th is a major steal.

7th round - Antoine Wesley WR Texas Tech - Big Receiver with great hands, 6'4".

Thoughts?
I don't see Wesley there in the 7th and if he is then it will be the steal of the draft.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 04:03 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I don't see Wesley there in the 7th and if he is then it will be the steal of the draft.

Have seen him picked in the 6th many times so i didn't think it was that out of the question but you are right would be a major steal in the 7th to get Wesley. Was going to go with him or Boykin here. Would be nice to add another big WR.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 03:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Lol, yes, love the name but he was always making plays at BYU too. Takitaki was the stand out on that D.

Yeah, BYU turned out a good one, last year as well.  Some thought he was overdrafted, when Dallas took him in the middle of the 1st round.  I guess they knew what they were doing.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 05:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, BYU turned out a good one, last year as well.  Some thought he was overdrafted, when Dallas took him in the middle of the 1st round.  I guess they knew what they were doing.  

True and i think Takitaki could be better...

I get to watch a lot of Utah and BYU games over here. Kaufusi the 6'9" DE might be a sleeper for us in the 6th too.

Has a little bend to him unlike Hunt did and could block some FG's for us.
Reply/Quote
I like the picks Nate, just 1 observation. Are we raising the dead now? You said Troy Gentry, who was lead singer for Montgomery/Gentry! He was killed in a helicopter crash about 2 years ago. He was a Bengals fan btw.... I know you meant Zach. I've also stated Takitaki a couple of times as someone that would be a great pick on day 3. I like the Pratt pick also, having him in Rd3 in my draft that I am working on.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 05:58 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I like the picks Nate, just 1 observation. Are we raising the dead now? You said Troy Gentry, who was lead singer for Montgomery/Gentry! He was killed in a helicopter crash about 2 years ago. He was a Bengals fan btw.... I know you meant Zach. I've also stated Takitaki a couple of times as someone that would be a great pick on day 3. I like the Pratt pick also, having him in Rd3 in my draft that I am working on.

Holy shit, nice catch Wedge lol

Thanks, will change that, didn't know Troy was a Bengals fan either.

Yes, Pratt and Takitaki are underrated in this draft at this point big time and both can cover and tackle.

Thanks again man ha ha
Reply/Quote
Wilkins will be a beast, I don't care where he is picked. He will be disruptive and hard to handle.
Howard may be a reach. If Lindstrom is there, take him. I also like that Jenkins. He will be a stud.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 05:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Have seen him picked in the 6th many times so i didn't think it was that out of the question but you are right would be a major steal in the 7th to get Wesley. Was going to go with him or Boykin here. Would be nice to add another big WR.

I would not have a problem selecting Wesley in the 5th. I personally think he is going to be one of the best WRs to come out of this class. He is not a burner but absolutely has functional football speed and his size, length, and balls skills combination is elite. He could be the most polished route runner in this class and knows how to separate and use his body to his advantage.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 08:29 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Wilkins will be a beast, I don't care where he is picked. He will be disruptive and hard to handle.
Howard may be a reach. If Lindstrom is there, take him. I also like that Jenkins. He will be a stud.

Feel the same with Wilkins, what more could you want in your first round pick. Solid as it gets.

I was thinking about Lindstrom or Risner but i have been seeing Tytus flying up the rankings and i think he might fit Turners Line more as he is a big mauler type. Jenkins i think would be a great get with his versatility damn rights Psych.

(04-05-2019, 08:46 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I would not have a problem selecting Wesley in the 5th. I personally think he is going to be one of the best WRs to come out of this class. He is not a burner but absolutely has functional football speed and his size, length, and balls skills combination is elite. He could be the most polished route runner in this class and knows how to separate and use his body to his advantage.

Could be correct, was really impressed with him every time i watched him. That is probably the one pick i have here that is unrealistic but you never know about the draft, there were tons of players last year that fell to the 7th i thought no way would be possible before hand.
Reply/Quote
Your Wilkins breakdown makes no sense. Why would Geno get a 3 technique next to him? If they are both lined up as 3 techniques your essentially in a super wide 9 with no protection in either A gap. 3technique is an alignment which usually allows for a single gap defender to rush with no regard for much else.

I keep trying to explain to people that your not just picking a DT and throwing him in they have specific responsibilities in alignment. In that 4-3 the NT is important because he is shaded into the opposite side A gap from the 3 technique and has run responsibility. This is why you don’t get much pass rush out of the NT.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2019, 05:50 PM)Au165 Wrote: Your Wilkins breakdown makes no sense. Why would Geno get a 3 technique next to him? If they are both lined up as 3 techniques your essentially in a super wide 9 with no protection in either A gap. 3technique is an alignment which usually allows for a single gap defender to rush with no regard for much else.

I keep trying to explain to people that your not just picking a DT and throwing him in they have specific responsibilities in alignment. In that 4-3 the NT is important because he is shaded into the opposite side A gap from the 3 technique and has run responsibility. This is why you don’t get much pass rush out of the NT.

On passing downs and in a rotation to keep Geno fresh it sure does make sense.

Makes no sense to draft another NT when we already have two run stopping DT's in Billings and Glasgow.

Another 3-tech makes much more sense IMO.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2019, 07:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: On passing downs and in a rotation to keep Geno fresh it sure does make sense.

Makes no sense to draft another NT when we already have two run stopping DT's in Billings and Glasgow.

Another 3-tech makes much more sense IMO.

Your drafting a guy who may get 65% of snaps, I’ll pass. I actually would rather take Lawrence and get a NT who does have some pass rushing upside, but 11 is too early for both in terms of value for the spot and current roster.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2019, 07:09 PM)Au165 Wrote: Your drafting a guy who may get 65% of snaps, I’ll pass. I actually would rather take Lawrence and get a NT who does have some pass rushing upside, but 11 is too early for both in terms of value for the spot and current roster.

Thats cool, i disagree is all. Think Billings and Glasgow will be just fine as run stoppers that can rush the passer from time to time.

As i said earlier, this is if both White and Hock are gone and is my most realistic thoughts on the Draft.
Reply/Quote