Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nathan Peterman
We probably have all heard about how awful Peterman did this week with his five interceptions in the first half. Many Buffalo fans were actually excited and encouraged to see Tyrod get benched. It reminds me of some of the people in these boards who want to bench Dalton for another 5th rounder.

Now I realize McCarron is better than Peterman and won't perform nearly that terribly, but now all I see is why would they bench Tyrod at all? Those would be the same questions we would be wondering if we benched Dalton. He isn't a top ten QB, and isn't elite, but he is a good QB and those are extremely hard to find. All signs point to McCarron not being any better and if we started him, we would probably have another Bills situation upon us.
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Bills head coach certainly painted himself in a corner. Not sure what you tell your boss Monday morning if you're him.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 03:33 PM)MrRager Wrote: We probably have all heard about how awful Peterman did this week with his five interceptions in the first half. Many Buffalo fans were actually excited and encouraged to see Tyrod get benched. It reminds me of some of the people in these boards who want to bench Dalton for another 5th rounder.

Now I realize McCarron is better than Peterman and won't perform nearly that terribly, but now all I see is why would they bench Tyrod at all? Those would be the same questions we would be wondering if we benched Dalton. He isn't a top ten QB, and isn't elite, but he is a good QB and those are extremely hard to find. All signs point to McCarron not being any better and if we started him, we would probably have another Bills situation upon us.

Bills coach rolled the dice and lost big time. Tyrod wasn't setting the world on fire, but he had the team north of .500 and still very much in the playoff picture. To bench him mid-season in favor of an untested back-up that has never taken one NFL snap was a huge risk and could have lasting results in terms of team morale.
Unlike Buffalo,  and to Marvin's credit, he never even thought about benching Dalton, even when he was stinking up the place the first few games.  The back-up QB is always a very popular guy on a struggling team. There's a reason that Dalton is the starter and McCarron is the back up, and with the OL problems on this team, I don't see why anyone would think McCarron would have considerably more success than Andy.
Reply/Quote
Couple differences here, AJ isn't a rookie and it wouldn't be his first start are the two that immediately jump out to me. Not saying it's the right call to consider pulling Dalton, but I wouldn't consider the situations all that similar.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 03:52 PM)Au165 Wrote: Couple differences here, AJ isn't a rookie and it wouldn't be his first start are the two that immediately jump out to me. Not saying it's the right call to consider pulling Dalton, but I wouldn't consider the situations all that similar.

We are a game out of a wildcard spot so we aren't pulling our starter....

If the OL was playing well and Dalton still struggling then maybe... 

Play calling hasn't been great either.. Lack of a real OC is showing this season
Reply/Quote
The Bills putting Peterman out there knowing he wasn't ready but hoping he'd magically be awesome reminds me more of Bengals fans insisting on seeing John Ross than AJ McCarron. PLAY THE YOUNG GUYS!!!!! Yuh oh! FIND NEW YOUNG GUYS TO PLAY!!!!
Reply/Quote
They did it for money. The same reason they benched Tyrod week 17 of last year. Can't be paying those incentives... I picked up San Diego in my fantasy league yesterday at noon. Worked brilliantly.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 03:33 PM)MrRager Wrote: We probably have all heard about how awful Peterman did this week with his five interceptions in the first half. Many Buffalo fans were actually excited and encouraged to see Tyrod get benched. It reminds me of some of the people in these boards who want to bench Dalton for another 5th rounder.

Who gives a flying rip about what a Bills QB did this past week? And in what imaginary, narrative driven land does someone have to live in to try and draw a line from that to the Bengals?

I would trade "not any better"/the same (which I feel like they at least certainly are) + $96million (Andy's contract) worth of O-linemen for Andy Dalton.

It's asinine to point to the Bills situation and think the same thing would happen to the Bengals. Besides Peterman being a rookie, McCarron has been in the Bengals system for 4 years now. It's a ludicrous thought process to point to the negative play of a late round QB and then ignore successful late round QBs.

Sick of "derp" threads with no actual point constructed to just  push agendas. We all get it, dude. You've got an Andy Dalton jersey and some pom poms and don't want to go buy a new ones.  Rock On
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 09:25 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The Bills putting Peterman out there knowing he wasn't ready but hoping he'd magically be awesome reminds me more of Bengals fans insisting on seeing John Ross than AJ McCarron. PLAY THE YOUNG GUYS!!!!! Yuh oh! FIND NEW YOUNG GUYS TO PLAY!!!!

I guess the thinking is they picked him in the first round. Is this the fourth or fifth straight year we’ve had close to zero from our 1st round pick in their rookie year? This one is at least healthy now. I think people are just frustrated that we never get to see our first rounder.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 10:11 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I guess the thinking is they picked him in the first round. Is this the fourth or fifth straight year we’ve had close to zero from our 1st round pick in their rookie year?  This one is at least healthy now. I think people are just frustrated that we never get to see our first rounder.

Makes sense.  I just imagine all but 3 or 4 NFL teams have young guys fans want to stuff on the field to see what happens.
Reply/Quote
There are some A.J. Brady doubters. Ninja

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 03:56 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: We are a game out of a wildcard spot so we aren't pulling our starter....

If the OL was playing well and Dalton still struggling then maybe... 

Play calling hasn't been great either.. Lack of a real OC is showing this season

Yes, all of this!

I'm not shy about the fact that I wanted AJ traded before the season started, called it foolish to keep him and I stand by that statement. 

People using McCarron's job at filling in as a reason to think he'd do better seem to forget one important thing. When McCarron was starting for the Bengals because Andy was hurt, Andy had been playing at an MVP level. The supporting cast and O-line was amazing and everything was clicking.

If Dalton is struggling this badly behind the line, with no running game and a new OC, why would anyone believe that McCarron is going to do better?? Now, if the back-up was a guy who was mobile like Russel Wilson and made those throws on the run, I might say give that guy a chance.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote

Mccarron and Peterman are not even in the same realm.  
Reply/Quote
Well the big takeaway is things can get worse if you play the backup.

Actually are there many tales of a QB getting benched during the year and the backup playing considerably better?

Kaepernick was inserted ahead of Smith and the 49ers went to the SB. They were good with Smith.

Brady started when Bledsoe got hurt.

Warner came in over who Frerotte?

Roethlisberger over Maddux?
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 03:03 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well the big takeaway is things can get worse if you play the backup.

Actually are there many tales of a QB getting benched during the year and the backup playing considerably better?

Kaepernick was inserted ahead of Smith and the 49ers went to the SB. They were good with Smith.

Brady started when Bledsoe got hurt.

Warner came in over who Frerotte?

Roethlisberger over Maddux?

Warner came in over who Frerotte? (Trent Green, who tore his ACL in the Preseason)
Reply/Quote
I'm not the biggest fan of McCarron, not by any means. I still believe he is overrated by people on these boards.

However, he is way better than Peterman. Peterman wasn't good in college. I didn't think he would be THAT bad, but he was never good.

With that said, McCarron would struggle with this offense as well. McCarron's biggest struggles in college have been holding on to the ball too long, pressure, and an average arm. With our offense NOW, he will do worse than Dalton and diminish his trade value.

I don't think people remember how poorly he played this preseason. And yes. I know. It's preseason. But if he's as good as people have said, then he should have done way better.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Watching those highlights reminds me of when I have my friends over and play them in Madden.

Peterman was thrown into the fire, and shouldn't have been. Period. That's on coaching. He didn't identify any pressures, understand the coverages he was seeing or have any pass protection.

I'd feel sorry if it wasn't so damn funny watching.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote