Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Does it Seem Like It's Lewis' Choice Whether He Returns?
(12-27-2017, 11:05 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I'm not sure it's his choice at all.  He's trying to make it seem as if it is to save face.  I hate Mikey boy but I think even he probably has come to the conclusion that this team needs a new direction.

I want to believe that but I just can't allow myself to do it.  Fool me once...Bengalitis...Once bitten...
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2017, 11:05 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I'm not sure it's his choice at all.  He's trying to make it seem as if it is to save face.  I hate Mikey boy but I think even he probably has come to the conclusion that this team needs a new direction.

I kinda think your right here. I think it's felt, at least to me, that this year seamed like things have shifted in the front office. From Marv telling everyone at the combine that Whit was coming back. The selection of Ross in the first round of the draft, who Marvin did not want. Seemed like Lewis's pull with the front office had kinda been reduced this year. Not to mention all the coaches contracts expiring in the same year. Brown's nice way of telling everyone, thanks but we are going in a different direction, and not having to tell them by firing them.
Reply/Quote
I think it's been kind of a mutual thing. Lewis accepted substandard facilities, no real scouting dept, etc, and Mikey accepted less than stellar results from the team. Together it was a recipe for mediocrity.

I think the breaking point for Lewis is when Mikey tried to trade away AJ. ML was very much against it, but had very little input.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2017, 08:43 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Because it likely is his call. Mike is an old man who's very set in his ways.  He likes Marvin and they have a good working relationship.  I'm guessing he would really miss Marvin if he were not around.  Not enough to kick a family member out of a job or expand the FO to accommodate him, mind you.  But he'd still miss him.  

So, you have a guy who likes cashing checks, and an owner that can tolerate losing playoff games and who's willing to keep writing checks to keep a familiar face around.  Bet they'd go on together another 25 years if they both could live that long.

Oh my God is that a depressing thought!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2017, 11:34 PM)falsestart Wrote: I kinda think your right here. I think it's felt, at least to me, that this year seamed like things have shifted in the front office. From Marv telling everyone at the combine that Whit was coming back. The selection of Ross in the first round of the draft, who Marvin did not want. Seemed like Lewis's pull with the front office had kinda been reduced this year. Not to mention all the coaches contracts expiring in the same year. Brown's nice way of telling everyone, thanks but we are going in a different direction, and not having to tell them by firing them.

I sure hope you're right !

I'd love nothing more than to see a clean sweep and entire new coaching staff and direction, this team needs it badly. But Mike Brown hates even the smallest of changes and fights them to the bitter end.

It's hard for me to imagine he'd sign on for it. I can only hope.
Reply/Quote
Personally, I think Marvin leaked the "I'm leaving" story as a way to make Brown extend an offer. I think he knows he will be back, he just wants to get the deal out of the way so he can enjoy his January-February in peace like normal, sitting on his couch and laughing at those other coaches who got stuck working another month.
Reply/Quote
Marvin Lewis will be head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals until he no longer wants the job. It’s truly up to him just like the OP says.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2017, 08:50 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: If Marvin is back this goes 3-13 next year lookin at the schedule.

I don't care who is the HC it will still be 3-13 because MB won't let the HC bring in his people and coach it the his (HC) way.
Reply/Quote
Because people believe what they want to believe... So if it seems like marvin will be back to you its what you choose to believe.

At this point no one knows whats gonna happen outside of mike brown.
Reply/Quote
Far be it from me to accuse anyone of promoting conspiracy theories. All this time I thought that was my job around here.. It's a business folks. The goal of any business isn't to get awards and win stuff, it's to turn a profit. Sure awards and championships are nice and all, but if you ain't making a profit you're out of business. 
Now, do they turn profit by winning? You might think so, but in a revenue sharing league you don't have to win to make a profit. You only have to play against winning teams and rake in a big chunk of their winning profits..
Suppose for a moment that the AFC, every team had a sub 500 record and only NFC teams won every then it would be quite different, but it doesn't work like that. Instead each team gets a big slice of the pie regardless of their respective records.
Mikey could hire my cat to be the head coach and still turn a profit while the cat does nothing but scrapes kitty liter around a box during games..kind of like Marvin..
Does anyone expect the Cleveland Browns with their 1-31 record over the past 2 seasons is going bankrupt?  No, and the reason is revenue sharing. 
There is no such thing as being stupid enough to go broke in the NFL as a team owner..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote