Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
National Anthem
(02-11-2021, 11:40 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Just read this on another website & think I it's fitting here too.

"Why are we having this conversation? So a segment of our society who are unable to feel a part of this country, for whatever their reason may be, do not want to hear the national anthem but the overwhelming majority like it. Play it. And to those who don't like it, I suggest instead of being angry about something the country does not do for you try searching for something that it does do. Because believe me there is plenty."

Yeah, whoever that right wing blogger was has zero idea about the actual argument.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2021, 11:40 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Just read this on another website & think I it's fitting here too.

"Why are we having this conversation? So a segment of our society who are unable to feel a part of this country, for whatever their reason may be, do not want to hear the national anthem but the overwhelming majority like it. Play it. And to those who don't like it, I suggest instead of being angry about something the country does not do for you try searching for something that it does do. Because believe me there is plenty."

So now we're saying that businesses should bend the knee to public outcry? Just a few years ago it was ThEy'Re A pRiVaTe BuSiNeSs ThEy CaN dO wHaT tHeY wAnT.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2021, 11:49 AM)GMDino Wrote: I would suggest that this kind of quote feeds into the "nationalism" argument.  "Love it or Leave it" should have died as a slogan in the 60's.

Well, the notion that the anthem should be played before sporting events because it's popular leads me to question why exactly we're become so conditioned to think no anthem prior to a sporting event is so anti-american, and yet if we went to the dentist and he was like "I'm not drilling your teeth until we both stand and sing the anthem" would seem like a filler sketch of a boring SNL episode.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
When I go to games, I'll admit I could be away getting a pizza when it's playing. But if I am at my seat I stand with others. Seems to me it is a unifying moment that lasts only a few minutes. Not that bothersome to be fortunate we live in this country
Reply/Quote
I just want to say that one of the reasons I object to nationalism, which is represented in things like the playing of the national anthem at domestic sporting events, is because it perpetuates undemocratic ideals. What I mean by this is that nationalism tends to lead to people not being able to critique their country in meaningful ways. I'm not talking about the idiotic talking points that come out in the partisan bickering we see. I'm talking about the substantial critiques in our culture and society that can affect real change. Nationalism is often used as a way of silencing those critiques, and was honestly one of the reasons we saw so much of it during the Cold War and why the whole playing of the anthem at sporting events began during wartime. This becomes heightened when those in power seek to create a sense of unity in the country to prevent people from seeing through the bullshit wars we are in and seeing the flaws.

We have had just a handful of years throughout the entire history of our country where we were not involved in armed conflict, but let's make sure our kids are pledging allegiance to the flag to boost patriotism so they don't question why we're such a warmongering country and why we spend so much on pointless violence around the world instead of helping our own people.

Sorry, that got a bit ranty and that was not my intention. Anyway, that is my reason for disliking the nationalist efforts like the anthem at sporting events. I see it as a bit of prestidigitation to distract the people from our country's problems.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
I see it is a time to put aside our differences and unify. It shows that from sports to politics, we can be on opposite sides, but in the end, we are all Americans.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2021, 01:10 AM)Benton Wrote: It shouldn't be mandated.

I like the playing of the anthem, but if a team opts not to, no big deal. Forced patriotism isn't really patriotism.

this
Reply/Quote
I thought Texas was pushing for secession ?
Hmmmm...

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Mandatory national anthem at sporting events? No. Mandatory service to your country for two years upon completion of high school. Yes.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2021, 09:13 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Mandatory national anthem at sporting events? No. Mandatory service to your country for two years upon completion of high school. Yes.

In most countries that makes sense. In this country with the defense contractor lobbiest pushing to use all those expensive weapons, I'll pass.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2021, 09:05 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: I thought Texas was pushing for secession ?
Hmmmm...

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk

Then they will sue to be the "real" United States and take the Anthem with them! Cool
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
The national anthem is more important to the constitution for some, which is why nationalism is bad...

https://lawandcrime.com/first-amendment/clearly-unconstitutional-bill-requiring-national-anthem-to-be-played-at-all-public-events-is-a-legislative-priority-for-texas-lt-governor/
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2021, 09:47 AM)Au165 Wrote: In most countries that makes sense. In this country with the defense contractor lobbiest pushing to use all those expensive weapons, I'll pass.

Doesn't have to be all about weapons. We are creating yet another branch. The Care Force. Everything from getting your foot in the door to the health care field by wiping old poopy butts to getting your foot in the door of public works by digging a ditch.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2021, 11:40 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Just read this on another website & think I it's fitting here too.

Well said and I agree. 

The country does let me protest ultranationalism, of which there is indeed "plenty," even at sporting events.
Reply/Quote
Remember when Roseanne disrespected the anthem before cancel culture was a thing? Guess you can't dodge the one with your name on it, so to speak.
Reply/Quote

So you follow Kim Jung-un on twitter?
Reply/Quote
Remember how pissed people were about burning flags...even though the right to burn said flag is one of the freedoms that the flag supposedly represents? This is just another example of people worshipping symbols, while not actually abiding by the very thing those symbols represent. Ironically, those same people who worship said symbols will be the first to cry about their rights if you look at them side-eye.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2021, 02:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So you follow Kim Jung-un on twitter?

Welcome back.
Reply/Quote
I had Kings seasons tickets from 90-96. Anytime there was a Canadian team playing they played the Canadian national anthem. I see it as a sign of respect. I understand Bel and others objections to enforced nationalism, but I tend to agree with Mason that it's more of a unity thing and less a chest thumping flag waving exercise. The national anthem in the old Blackhawks stadium for the All Star game after 9/11 was, quite honestly, profoundly moving. For all its flaws this country has given us, and the world, so much. I agree with Bel that this shouldn't blind us to our warts and blemishes, but I honestly dislike, strongly dislike, this idea that a strong sense of patriotism is a negative thing or somehow the province of extremists.

As an addendum, the All Star game aside, the most moved I've ever been in my life by such an event was at an old cathedral in the UK on Easter when an entire Scotts bagpipes contingent came into the service and played the final hymn. I'm not religious, at all, but damn, that was something.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2021, 08:12 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I agree with Bel that this shouldn't blind us to our warts and blemishes, but I honestly dislike, strongly dislike, this idea that a strong sense of patriotism is a negative thing or somehow the province of extremists.

I just want to respond to this, because I think this is where that nuance, the difference between nationalism and patriotism is lost. Nationalism is when you move past that point where you are willing to critique your nation. I have zero problems with patriotism, but I see things like the overuse of the national anthem as going into that nationalism territory. There is a reason it gets played before movies in on-base movie theaters, and it ain't just for patriotic purposes.

Reply/Quote