Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nebraska Kills the Death Penalty
Yeah, I went there. Ninja

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/nebraska-abolishes-death-penalty-in-landmark-override-vote/ar-BBkjM9n?ocid=ansnewsap11
Quote:LINCOLN, Neb. — Nebraska abolished the death penalty on Wednesday in a landmark veto-override vote backed by an unusual coalition of conservatives who oppose capital punishment.

Senators in the one-house Legislature voted 30-19 to override Gov. Pete Ricketts, a Republican who supports the death penalty. The vote makes Nebraska the first traditionally conservative state to eliminate the punishment since North Dakota in 1973.

Nebraska joins 18 other states and the District of Columbia in banning the ultimate punishment.

Some senators said they philosophically support the death penalty, but are convinced the state will never carry out another execution because of legal obstacles. Nebraska hasn't executed an inmate since a 1997 electrocution, and the state has never done so with its current lethal injection protocol.

I've made my opinion clear on the death penalty and my opposition to it for a number of reasons, so I see this as a victory. I will say that the growing controversy surround the drugs used for lethal injections and the efficacy as well as the question over whether or not it is cruel and unusual and the availability issues surrounding them will likely lead to more surprises like this in regards to the death penalty around the country. I fully expect Virginia and Texas to be the last two holdouts.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-28-2015, 03:36 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yeah, I went there.  Ninja

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/nebraska-abolishes-death-penalty-in-landmark-override-vote/ar-BBkjM9n?ocid=ansnewsap11

I've made my opinion clear on the death penalty and my opposition to it for a number of reasons, so I see this as a victory. I will say that the growing controversy surround the drugs used for lethal injections and the efficacy as well as the question over whether or not it is cruel and unusual and the availability issues surrounding them will likely lead to more surprises like this in regards to the death penalty around the country. I fully expect Virginia and Texas to be the last two holdouts.

More than likely.

I still hold out though that some crimes deserve a slow, painful death.  But we have evolved past that in this country so my quest for bloody vengeance will go unanswered.

:snark:
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Who needs a death penalty when there's a GOP congress squeezing the life out of you?
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]
The issue with the death penalty is not if it is fair or just. The issue is that the criminal justice and judicial system are too flawed to allow a life or death decision.

Too many innocent people are convicted to have a death penalty.

Doesn't matter if you think some criminals deserve to die for what they did. The system is too flawed to condemn a person to death.
If you're more socially inclined: the chance of one innocent man dying isn't worth the deaths of 100 guilty men over a life sentence.

If you're more fiscally inclined: it costs way too much.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I think it's hard to give a straight opinion on the Death Penalty. Those that oppse it may feel differently if a loved one was taken from them at the hands of a convicted murderer, rapists, molester, kidnapper, ect.

I do think you should be allowed in cases where all shadow of doubt is removed. Multiple eye witnesses, ect...

If there is the slightest shawdow of the doubt I think it should not be employed. But like I said I may change my stance if someone were to torture and kill one of my loved ones and there was very strong evidence that they committed the crime.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(05-28-2015, 04:03 PM)GMDino Wrote: More than likely.

I still hold out though that some crimes deserve a slow, painful death.  But we have evolved past that in this country so my quest for bloody vengeance will go unanswered.

:snark:

It's not that some criminals don't deserve it; it's that's that an emotion driven democracy is a scary way to run a government.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
(05-28-2015, 05:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think it's hard to give a straight opinion on the Death Penalty. Those that oppse it may feel differently if a loved one was taken from them at the hands of a convicted murderer, rapists, molester, kidnapper, ect.

I do think you should be allowed in cases where all shadow of doubt is removed. Multiple eye witnesses, ect...

If there is the slightest shawdow of the doubt I think it should not be employed. But like I said I may change my stance if someone were to torture and kill one of my loved ones and there was very strong evidence that they committed the crime.

I'm with you on that. Something like the Boston bombing, including their shootout with police, is not something I would object to seeking the death penalty for. But I figure if it something that is that rare in occurrence, how much of a difference does it make from banning it completely.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
I am for the most part anti capital punishment. Thirteen years ago my cousin died after spending the last 2 years of her life paralyzed from a gunshot wound to the neck.  The person who shot her had been sentenced to 85 yrs in prison.  When she died there was talk of murder/manslaughter charges being tacked on (for lack of a better word).  I was totally against that (many in my family were not) because I was satisfied with him rotting in the joint for the rest of his days.  Unfortunately he died in prison in 2010 (I feel like he got off easy)...  That being said, I am in favor of allowing those with life sentences to choose the death penalty for themselves.  I know that I personally would rather die, than live with the fact that I'd never be free again.  I think that it has been proven that the death penalty is not a deterrent for crime.  There really is something fundamentally wrong with taking a life as punishment, but if that person were to choose it as an alternative, then whatever...

I realize that this will never happen, but if I were dictator of the USA, I would impose this option.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Nebraska by Bruce Springsteen is now stuck in my head...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2Vz_Sk8gZ8

Totally fitting too.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Just another area that the US still needs to catch up to the rest of the civilized world in, in my opinion. All for banning capital punishment.
I am pro death penalty. It's cheaper to kill them then keep them alive for life in prison. Budgets are atretched talk much already.

Yea I know it's cold. But if your up for the death penalty then you already have decided your life isn't worth much.
(05-28-2015, 09:20 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I am pro death penalty. It's cheaper to kill them then keep them alive for life in prison.  Budgets are atretched talk much already.  

Yea I know it's cold.  But if your up for the death penalty then you already have decided your life isn't worth much.

For someone that talks a lot about not trusting the government to do things for us, this is pretty backwards.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
I will say I find it ironic the Liberals are against the Death Penalty unless you're in the womb.

(05-28-2015, 09:20 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I am pro death penalty. It's cheaper to kill them then keep them alive for life in prison.  Budgets are atretched talk much already.  

Yea I know it's cold.  But if your up for the death penalty then you already have decided your life isn't worth much.

Or you've been railroaded, or had a horrible defense, or well...just or.

(05-28-2015, 09:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I will say I find it ironic the Liberals are against the Death Penalty unless you're in the womb.

I feel the same for Conservatives who are anti-abortion and want to cut funds to help kids who are raised by poor families or want a good education.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-28-2015, 09:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I will say I find it ironic the Liberals are against the Death Penalty unless you're in the womb.

I find it interesting that more Republicans aren't pro choice and anti death penalty.

They're both fiscally conservative and both respect the individual. I guess that's why Libertarians are more representative of true conservatism 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(05-28-2015, 09:47 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: For someone that talks a lot about not trusting the government to do things for us, this is pretty backwards.

Do we not already have an extensive appeal process in place?  If we killed them straight away then I would be on your side.... But we give them years to appeal.  

Now if you want to have the discussion of what gets the death penalty and what doesn't ... Then we can have that debate.  I am only for death penalty on the most extreme violators. 
(05-28-2015, 10:29 PM)UGMDino Wrote: Or you've been railroaded, or had a horrible defense, or well...just or.

I feel the same for Conservatives who are anti-abortion and want to cut funds to help kids who are raised by poor families or want a good education.

We have a generous appeals process... And your responsible for your own quality of defense.   
(05-28-2015, 10:45 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I find it interesting that more Republicans aren't pro choice and anti death penalty.

They're both fiscally conservative and both respect the individual. I guess that's why Libertarians are more representative of true conservatism 

Cheaper to kill someone than maintain them for life.   Tossing aside the moral argument of murder .... It's cheaper to kill.   

The very same moral argument for anti death penalty is the same for pro life.   The only differnce is one is innocent and the other is a violent criminal against society.   

Your right though ... It's an interesting debate on those issues.   And food for thought.   
(05-28-2015, 10:29 PM)GMDino Wrote: I feel the same for Conservatives who are anti-abortion and want to cut funds to help kids who are raised by poor families or want a good education.

No doubt, being poor is worse than being dead.