Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help with an old Briggs and Stratton
(06-28-2021, 09:12 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Once you get it going run some Seafoam thru it.

So it was already running, only sluggish.  I'm hesitant to use Seafoam, as I recall my father having a very expensive repair bill for one of the motors on his boat after using it.  He passed 17 years ago, so maybe it has improved since then, but it made me gun shy none the less.  WTS, the PB Blaster product I picked up has the same purpose of cleaning up the carbon deposits that may have formed on the valves and piston.  I've seen some good before and after photos from the PB product taken with borescopes, and if it works as it should on the mower I might try it on my log splitter and riding mower.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2021, 07:08 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: So it was already running, only sluggish.  I'm hesitant to use Seafoam, as I recall my father having a very expensive repair bill for one of the motors on his boat after using it.  He passed 17 years ago, so maybe it has improved since then, but it made me gun shy none the less.  WTS, the PB Blaster product I picked up has the same purpose of cleaning up the carbon deposits that may have formed on the valves and piston.  I've seen some good before and after photos from the PB product taken with borescopes, and if it works as it should on the mower I might try it on my log splitter and riding mower.

PB Blaster is a good product.  I first discovered it, after my Dad recommended it.  The mechanics in the forklift shop he works for (he's retired, but still works a few days per week to stay out of his retirement fund), they all use and swear by it.  My personal auto mechanic uses it.  In my opinion, it's one of those products that can only help, rather than cause harm.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2021, 04:08 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: So I have a Murray push mower that I believe dates from sometime between '85-'95.  It was collecting dust on a shelf in the back of the shed for about 14 years.  The misses set up a garden area that doesn't allow use of the rider, so I pulled it out to maintain that area.  I turned the blade by hand to break any seizure in the cylinder, added some fresh gas, and pulled the cord.  Started right up, but runs pretty darn rough, so it is need of a tune up.  The plug will be easy enough to replace, as it will have identifying marks that can be used to match up to a modern equivalent.  My problem lies in the foam air filter.  It is super dirty, but also kind of dry rotted, so I can't just wash, dry, and oil it.  It needs to be replaced, and I can't seem to find any part number on the housing.  The engine says Briggs and Stratton Magnetron, around the pull cord vents, and there is nothing else I can find to identify the model of the engine.  The Google machine hasn't been much help, nor has the B&S website.  There was one filter I found on B&S that stated it was for model years around that time, but the item pictured is not the same shape.  Does anyone have any knowledge on how I can find one?

Looks like you have been helped on that one but if anyone needs to go any further you can take the carburater (spelling) apart and
there is usually a little hole in the bottom that you can blow out with an air compressor. Always works for me to clean out the engine
at the end.

If nothing else is working, this does.
Reply/Quote