Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need some young players to make impact vs Steelers
In past history going back to the Palmer era when the Bengals have beaten the Steelers
It's always a 1st or 2nd year player making a impact play
Johnathon Fanene...Chris Henry....Tab Perry...Shawn Williams...Andre Caldwell..
This year is no different
We need a Glasgow...Evans...Malone...Mixon to make some really big plays
We can't rely on Green or LaFell to carry us to victory
The Bengals need a really collective effort from 2016 17 Draft picks to save the day
Heck even the Steelers have had young guys make huge plays vs the Bengals lately
Grimble...Rogers...
Reply/Quote
Agree,

But it really boils down to this. We have to be able to run the ball with success or it's over !

We need like 125 yards rushing and 4 yards or more a carry. And first down success is critical. We can't constantly be in 2nd and nine 3rd and ten, behind the chains.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm looking for Fej to play the part of Reggie Nelson and lay the wood to Brown and Worthlessberger.....
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 01:51 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm looking for Fej to play the part of Reggie Nelson and lay the wood to Brown and Worthlessberger.....

Points will be hard to come by for us, for sure. This has to be a game where the D locks down on people. More blitzing by more than DL! LBers can not turn and run 15 yards down field, Ben will kill us either running or checking down. The offense will need a short field. 
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 07:10 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree,

But it really boils down to this. We have to be able to run the ball with success or it's over !

We need like 125 yards rushing and 4 yards or more a carry. And first down success is critical. We can't constantly be in 2nd and nine 3rd and ten, behind the chains.

125 yards and 4 ypc is going to be tough sledding.

I think we need long throws to AJ Green and big plays that way. Possibly big defensive stops.
Reply/Quote
Lawson vs Villanueva looks like a good matchup for us. Lawson gets so low and Villanueva is so tall.

Hopefully Jordan Evans plays better this week and makes some plays against their TE's.

Need to see more of Will Jax, he looks clearly better than any of our Corners IMHO.

More Fej of course would be nice.

On Offense i think we just need to stick to the directional blocking scheme we ran against the Browns. If we play that
passive shit we were running before we have no chance except for screens to Mixon and Gio in the passing game and
even then it will be predictable and Shazier and company can sniff them out. Need to use Hewitt in the run game.

Wish we could ever see what our first round pick looked like for real. Marv won't even give the guy a chance and it
truly pisses me off. We will never know what we have in Ross if we never dress the dude.

Kroft could have a good game against them.
Reply/Quote
The defensive line needs to step up big this week against the Steelers. They need to lI've in the backfield against both the pass and the run.

I have to say the young guys did not look good against the run in the Browns game and they played early and often. I'd like them not to use Chris Smith inside as often as they did against the Browns as that was a huge reason Kizer had that TD run....
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2017, 11:28 PM)impactplaya Wrote: In past history going back to the Palmer era when the Bengals have beaten the Steelers
The Bengals need a really collective effort from 2016 17 Draft picks to save the day
Heck even the Steelers have had young guys make huge plays vs the Bengals lately
Grimble...Rogers...

On a normal team with an adept coaching staff, they’d look at Pittsburgh’s decimated secondary and quickly realize that a speedy WR (cough.....JohnRoss.....cough) might be able to have a breakout game against single coverage from backup CB’s. Marvin will continue to relegate Ross to the inactive list and play conservative ball, ultimately resulting in a Bengals loss.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 08:35 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: On a normal team with an adept coaching staff, they’d look at Pittsburgh’s decimated secondary and quickly realize that a speedy WR (cough.....JohnRoss.....cough) might be able to have a breakout game against single coverage from backup CB’s.  Marvin will continue to relegate Ross to the inactive list and play conservative ball, ultimately resulting in a Bengals loss.

They could burn the crap outta Artie Burns if they knew their ass from a hole in the ground.

Sadly enough... they don't. Sad
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 08:35 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: On a normal team with an adept coaching staff, they’d look at Pittsburgh’s decimated secondary and quickly realize that a speedy WR (cough.....JohnRoss.....cough) might be able to have a breakout game against single coverage from backup CB’s.  Marvin will continue to relegate Ross to the inactive list and play conservative ball, ultimately resulting in a Bengals loss.

(11-29-2017, 09:03 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: They could burn the crap outta Artie Burns if they knew their ass from a hole in the ground.

Yup,

Sad but true
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 09:03 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: They could burn the crap outta Artie Burns if they knew their ass from a hole in the ground.

Sadly it sounds like Ross does not know his ass from a hole in the ground... 
Reply/Quote
For rookies to make plays wouldn't they need to play first.
Reply/Quote
We need our coaches to not call a vanilla game so that our young guys can make plays and so that we don't let the Steelers pick us apart and just run down our throats.

Gotta be aggressive on defense and try to get to Bell before he can make all the moves to make guys miss. Hope we can get him dancing in the backfield where he dances right into other defenders. STAY IN YOUR LANES.

Ben's choking this year so just let Geno, Dunlap, Lawson, etc, get after him and him and make him jittery early so he makes mistakes. Don't sit back and let Ben pick us apart or sit in the pocket and wait for AB to get open. BE AGGRESSIVE.

On offense, give them all the Mixon they can handle with runs and out of the backfield, but also open it up and throw it to our young guys that have shown flashes or at least the ability to be average and take the heat off of AJ, and then kill them with AJ.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2017, 11:28 PM)impactplaya Wrote: In past history going back to the Palmer era when the Bengals have beaten the Steelers
Grimble...Rogers...
and I'll name you 2 young players....Ogbuehi and Fisher....They drafted them high and let Andre Smith, Zeitler and Whitworth go....OK, we got Smith back which doesn't say much about Smith.....IN order to win THIS game we will need some blocking.  We didn't have any blocking the first Steelers game, none at all.  Our running backs and Dalton didn't have a chance and forget about time to throw to Green and others with no blocking....

No, you can forget all the other young fellows on the team if these young Top Pick Bonus Baby Tackles don't Step Up.  It comes down to them. If they stink, the Bengals lose.  If they up their games and block a little, we have a chance. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 05:12 AM)kevin Wrote: and I'll name you 2 young players....Ogbuehi and Fisher....They drafted them high and let Andre Smith, Zeitler and Whitworth go....OK, we got Smith back which doesn't say much about Smith.....IN order to win THIS game we will need some blocking.  We didn't have any blocking the first Steelers game, none at all.  Our running backs and Dalton didn't have a chance and forget about time to throw to Green and others with no blocking....

No, you can forget all the other young fellows on the team if these young Top Pick Bonus Baby Tackles don't Step Up.  It comes down to them. If they stink, the Bengals lose.  If they up their games and block a little, we have a chance. 

Exactly how do you suggest Fish step up his game when he is out for the year???
Reply/Quote
One thing I'd like to see if a faster, uptempo offense. Don't let them sub or get into their defensive game plan. We need to dictate what they do and not wait to see what alignment they shift to. Maybe even snap the ball when they are shifting, making them out of position. No more of this 1 or 2 second left on the play clock or calling a timeout when you are not going to get the snap off.
Reply/Quote
Grimble...Rogers...

Completely agree.  That is why we won't play them.  
Reply/Quote
They need some semblance of the run game from last week. The best chance in winning is a ball control, long-drives game. If it degenerates to the three-and-outs with Andy trying to make a big play it won't work even if Dre or Gino do pick sixes like for the games against the Colts and Broncos.

I don't have cable or ESPN so I guess I'll have to go to South Park Pizza Tavern to watch the game. Darn!
Reply/Quote
Personally I'd like to see everyone have a great game, not just the young players, but old guys as well and if the emergency golf carts all run out of juice running squeeler players to the locker rooms and care flight helicopters all run out of fuel taking them to the trauma ward so much the better.. I kind of doubt that will happen, but if it does even losing would be almost satisfying.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 09:05 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Exactly how do you suggest Fish step up his game when he is out for the year???
Didn't know Fisher out for year, I have many things to do besides Bengals.   So this young player is no help or no impact.  How about Ogbuehi ?  Is he out for the year ?  If not, if THIS young man can ever live up to his 1st round draft pick and block somebody at left tackle once manned by Munoz and Whitworth, that would be a huge impact.  Since Dalton is right handed left tackle is Dalton's blind side.  Protect Dalton't Blind Side.  Against The Steelers Defense I would say Ogbuehi trying to man down left tackle with Whitworth gone is the most important young man on the field for Bengals and how he plays has a huge impact in Steelers game.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote