Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nelson Interception Return
Did anyone else think that chop block penalty on Michael Johnson was BS? It should have been first and goal. They did the same type of block on Andre Smith when he got hurt. I think the refs saw the Steeler player go flying and just assumed it was an illegal block.
Reply/Quote
It looked like he was in front of the guy to me, I didn't even see a chop block. It's possible I missed it though, very doubtful, but possible. 
Reply/Quote
Lapham said it was and Adam confirmed after watching the tape.
Reply/Quote
Was it a chop block or a peel back?
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 05:22 PM)AtomicBlaze Wrote: Did anyone else think that chop block penalty on Michael Johnson was BS?  It should have been first and goal.  They did the same type of block on Andre Smith when he got hurt.  I think the refs saw the Steeler player go flying and just assumed it was an illegal block.

They called it a Crack Back block and yes, illegal. The rule was put into place after Warren Sapp cut that guy (Clifton?) from the Packers in half. Yeah, it was definitely a penalty.

by definition I don't think it actually was a crack back block, but more of a peel back.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 07:01 PM)PDub80 Wrote: They called it a Crack Back block and yes, illegal. The rule was put into place after Warren Sapp cut that guy (Clifton?) from the Packers in half. Yeah, it was definitely a penalty.

by definition I don't think it actually was a crack back block, but more of a peel back.

It was one of those blocks Ward used to injury Rivers, the type of block that a certain fanbase always said was good hard nose football.  Ninja

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 05:22 PM)AtomicBlaze Wrote: Did anyone else think that chop block penalty on Michael Johnson was BS?  It should have been first and goal.  They did the same type of block on Andre Smith when he got hurt.  I think the refs saw the Steeler player go flying and just assumed it was an illegal block.

What I find funny is that there are Steeler Fans who are crying...big surprise right...because they thought the Refs were screwing them by calling a facemask on the end of that return and they never mentioned which player committed the penalty.  What the heck game were they watching if they didn't think a facemask penalty had happened?  The way the guy grabbed Nelson's facemask I half expected Nelson's head to come off or twist around.  

Additionally, in a scenario such as that I believe the play should stand where the ball ended up at the end of the play.  I feel like we were more heavily penalized than they were.    
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 09:56 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: What I find funny is that there are Steeler Fans who are crying...big surprise right...because they thought the Refs were screwing them by calling a facemask on the end of that return and they never mentioned which player committed the penalty.  What the heck game were they watching if they didn't think a facemask penalty had happened?  The way the guy grabbed Nelson's facemask I half expected Nelson's head to come off or twist around.  

Additionally, in a scenario such as that I believe the play should stand where the ball ended up at the end of the play.  I feel like we were more heavily penalized than they were.    

I absolutely agree. The Bengals were penalized more heavily.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 06:03 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Lapham said it was and Adam confirmed after watching the tape.

They called it on number 90 though,  Do you think they just got the number wrong?
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 10:56 PM)AtomicBlaze Wrote: They called it on number 90 though,  Do you think they just got the number wrong?

No. Adam Jones was on Holy Grail and when the team and coaches watched the tape, from all angles, it was confirmed that Johnson's block was legal.

(One thing about Lewis, he is a straight shooter and will admit when his team is on the wrong side of things)
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 09:56 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: What I find funny is that there are Steeler Fans who are crying...big surprise right...because they thought the Refs were screwing them by calling a facemask on the end of that return and they never mentioned which player committed the penalty.  What the heck game were they watching if they didn't think a facemask penalty had happened?  The way the guy grabbed Nelson's facemask I half expected Nelson's head to come off or twist around.  

Most definately.
Reply/Quote