Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NetFlix Shows...
(04-16-2016, 09:43 PM)Donnyho Wrote: .......no, it wasn't sarcastic.  It was really the best show on tv last year (at least the best comedy of 2015). It's extremely well written and acted, so I'm curious as to why you think it's terrible.

not everyone shares the same taste.

i didnt like it either.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2016, 10:07 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: not everyone shares the same taste.

i didnt like it either.

Well, obviously. I always assume that 'in my opinion' is implied whenever anyone says something is 'the best', but maybe it's not?
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2016, 10:48 AM)Donnyho Wrote: Well, obviously. I always assume that 'in my opinion' is implied whenever anyone says something is 'the best', but maybe it's not?

Why do you think it was the best. what shows are you comparing it too as you cant watch them all.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2016, 12:46 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Why do you think it was the best. what shows are you comparing it too as you cant watch them all.

Why do I think it's the best? Well:

I think Ellie Kemper, Jane Krakowski (Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series nominee 2015 Emmys) and Tituss Burgess (Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series nominee 2015 Emmys) are great in their roles

It's created and overseen by Tina Fey, whom I think is one of the funniest and most talented writer/producers working today.

Since it was created by Fey it has a lot in common with her first show, 30 Rock, which in my opinion, was one of the best comedies of the last 20 years.

The guest stars, including Jon Hamm (Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series 2015 Emmys), Tina Fey (Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series 2015 Emmys) and Kiernan Shipka all do great work playing against type.

Have I watched every comedy on tv? Well, no, I haven't. Have I seen enough to make an educated assumption that I think Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is better (in my opinion) than them based on what I saw? I'd say yes. I mean, could I have seen the 4 worst episodes of, say, Big Bang Theory so my opinion of it is flawed? Sure. But I doubt it.

So, why didn't you like it? Did you watch every episode of it, or did you watch a few then stop? Based on what you saw, what shows do you prefer?

(I'm genuinely curious as to why you didn't like it. And I'm not going to try and change anyone's mind about it. I'm just interested in why people like/dislike things.)
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2016, 10:48 AM)Donnyho Wrote: Well, obviously. I always assume that 'in my opinion' is implied whenever anyone says something is 'the best', but maybe it's not?

I liked the first season.  I've only watched the 1st episode of the 2nd season and all I can say is I hope it gets better.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2016, 10:17 AM)Donnyho Wrote: The best show on Netflix is 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt'. Hell, it was probably the best TV show period last year.
[Image: watch-unbreakable-kimmy-schmidt-2015-tin....png?w=600]

Took your advice on this.  Did not disappoint.

Thx 
Reply/Quote
Fyi Netflixers, prices going up this year for everyone though offering 3 different plans. As long as they keep putting out good stuff, I am perfectly fine with it.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/19/technology/netflix-prices/index.html
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2016, 12:55 AM)Millhouse Wrote: I wish Netflix would just buy out Amazon prime video service and others like Hulu out there. No other one even comes close to what Nflix has. Way better movies, past & current tv shows, tons of shit for kids too they all like. Id list them but just way too many from Breaking Bad, Freaks & Geeks, XFiles, Sherlock, NCIS, SoA, etc etc etc. Even has all the old Andy Griffiths lol.

Anyhoots my three favorite Netflix original series are Narcos, OrangeisthenewBlack, & House of Cards. Havent got into Daredevil, tho heard its good. Bu

I love Hulu for new TV episodes and movie trailers.

Overall Netflix is better but they don't have either of these.
Reply/Quote
I wish HBO and Showtime would let go of some of their series'.  I would love to see Game of Thrones and Black Sails come to Netflix. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(04-20-2016, 03:03 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I wish HBO and Showtime would let go of some of their series'.  I would love to see Game of Thrones and Black Sails come to Netflix. 

Yeah probably wont happen since they have their own streaming site/app (link below). If there is a show like Thrones you havent seen and want to, best bet is to get HBo for a month if you have cable, and get HBO GO app to watch it on whatever device like Xbox, then cancel. If you dont have cable, then get HBO NOW for a month to binge watch it, then cancel. Actually HBO NOW is doing a one month free trial I just saw, so something to consider. Either way both are 15 bucks, which is a lot cheaper than buying all the blu-rays/dvds for it.  Speaking of I need to re-order HBO for 3 to 4 months just for Thrones..lol  https://order.hbonow.com/ 

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2016, 10:17 AM)Donnyho Wrote: The best show on Netflix is 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt'. Hell, it was probably the best TV show period last year.

First season was pretty good. Made me laugh quite a bit. Got a little annoying towards the end. 2nd season upped the annoying factor by over 9000! Seriously couldn't get past the first two episodes. 

I don't usually mind "dumb" comedies. Most good comedies have a character or two that just seems a little too stupid to be real, or a usually smart character makes a stupid decision now and then.  The Office and Parks and Rec utilize this well. BUT when a vast majority of characters are too stupid to even function it makes the show unwatchable. 
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Not really a "Netflix show" but, the Netflix (4th) season of arrested development is pure gold. A lot of people hated it, but after watching it through for the 2nd time I missed a lot of hidden jokes that made me like it even more. Probably one of the smartest comedies ever. I'm really hoping they pull off a 5th season somehow.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote

I just started watching it. It's pretty funny, IMO. I really like the theme song ThumbsUp

Plus, I'd really like to boff Kimmy. Rock On
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2016, 11:28 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: First season was pretty good. Made me laugh quite a bit. Got a little annoying towards the end. 2nd season upped the annoying factor by over 9000! Seriously couldn't get past the first two episodes. 

I don't usually mind "dumb" comedies. Most good comedies have a character or two that just seems a little too stupid to be real, or a usually smart character makes a stupid decision now and then.  The Office and Parks and Rec utilize this well. BUT when a vast majority of characters are too stupid to even function it makes the show unwatchable. 
[Image: latest?cb=20100724145819]]

Reply/Quote
Just finished binge watching Orange is NEw Black season 4. ANother great season.

Also on Netflix I finished up on another show through season 3 which I thought was really good. It has 8.8/10 IMBD rating and its one I think a lot of you in here would like. Peaky Blinders. Its about the rise of a gang in Birmingham, England in the 1919=1920s, and has quite a few familiar faces in it. The main character is played by the one who was in the Batman Movies playing Scarecrow. And Tom Hardy has a great bit part in it as well starting in season 2.

[Image: peaky1.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Lilyhammer (3 seasons) is so far my favorite Netflix offering. If you liked Steven Van Zandt's character 'Silvio' in The Sopranos, you'll like this show a lot.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
I recommend "The Last Kingdom". It's based on the history of early England. A lot of good history in the show, but it is also entertaining.

Saxon England was divided into seven kingdoms: Northumbria, Mercia, East Anglia, Essex, Kent, Sussex, and Wessex. One by one, they were overrun by the Vikings in the 9th century. All but one: Wessex, a backwater farming community living among the marshlands. Alfred, the king of Wessex, harried the Vikings with guerrilla raids and eventually assembled and trained and army capable of meeting the Vikings in battle. Eventually, Alfred and his offspring would unify the former Saxon kingdoms into England. That would last until the time of Cnut and William... but those are different stories.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2016, 04:57 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I recommend "The Last Kingdom". It's based on the history of early England. A lot of good history in the show, but it is also entertaining.

Saxon England was divided into seven kingdoms: Northumbria, Mercia, East Anglia, Essex, Kent, Sussex, and Wessex. One by one, they were overrun by the Vikings in the 9th century. All but one: Wessex, a backwater farming community living among the marshlands. Alfred, the king of Wessex, harried the Vikings with guerrilla raids and eventually assembled and trained and army capable of meeting the Vikings in battle. Eventually, Alfred and his offspring would unify the former Saxon kingdoms into England. That would last until the time of Cnut and William... but those are different stories.

And if anyone likes the shoe, it is based on a series of books by Bernard Cornwell.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
You all should give Stranger Things as try. It's a new Netflix original. It's a mystery/horror type of show. Cool thing is it's set in 1983. Best way I can describe is it's a Steven Speilberg meets Stephen King meets X Files type of show. Currently has a crazy high rating on IMDB.

If you like 80's stuff and any those descriptions then I highly recommend this show.
Reply/Quote
OP touts Christina RIcci show. I would pretty much watch her read a phone book, but am not as a rule into the slash and chop genre, so I am in a quandry...

Scanned rest of thread and saw no mention of the best original series I have found on Netflix: "Grace and Frankie." Any one of the leads (Fonda, Tomlin, Sheen, or Waterston) could carry a series, but all four in a well written, funny, and timely show is just a delight. Only complaint: only two short seasons so far...
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote