Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NetFlix Shows...
David Cross "Making America Great Again". Really good observational humor. Give it a shot.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
So back to Stranger Things. I have to say after watching it again, it is one of the best new series in the last couple of years. It doesn't go down the route of vulgarity, nudity, etc like a lot of shows try to throw in there. Eleven is a breakout child star, the 3 friends are great, as they are actually acting & talking like 12 year olds did back then. They are this generation's versions of Stand By Me & Goonies in that regard. Wynona & the chief were great, and pretty much everyone else held their own in their roles doing a great job. My final review is a solid minimum of 9/10.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2016, 05:21 PM)Millhouse Wrote: So back to Stranger Things. I have to say after watching it again, it is one of the best new series in the last couple of years. It doesn't go down the route of vulgarity,  nudity, etc like a lot of shows try to throw in there. Eleven is a breakout child star, the 3 friends are great, as they are actually acting & talking like 12 year olds did back then. They are this generation's versions of Stand By Me & Goonies in that regard. Wynona & the chief were great, and pretty much everyone else held their own in their roles doing a great job. My final review is a solid minimum of 9/10.

My sister just turned my brother in law on to Stranger Things...

He is hooked now lol

Seriously dude, you are correct Millhouse, great show. Re-watching the series again myself and am even more impressed.

It just reminds you of 1983 and every actor in it is absolutely flawless. So realistic for a Sci-fi/Thriller/Horror/Comedy.

It has it all.
Reply/Quote
Shameless is now in Netflix. Through 3 seasons, and it's pretty damn good, although the 4th is looking like it's not going to be on par with the first three.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2016, 10:33 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Shameless is now in Netflix.  Through 3 seasons, and it's pretty damn good, although the 4th is looking like it's not going to be on par with the first three.

The show derails around season 4. Same ol' shit from Frank and Fiona's character does a 180 and sucks. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
"13 Reasons Why". I'm just 3 episodes in, and impressed with how it's going so far. Not just another teen angst series, but a serious look into suicide, bullying etc. A tough subject for those whose lives have been touched by such topics, but a 'conversation' well worthy of the effort. Anyone else watched this?

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2016, 11:21 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The show derails around season 4. Same ol' shit from Frank and Fiona's character does a 180 and sucks. 

I'll give something Fiona can suck on.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(04-19-2017, 02:53 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: "13 Reasons Why". I'm just 3 episodes in, and impressed with how it's going so far. Not just another teen angst series, but a serious look into suicide, bullying etc. A tough subject for those whose lives have been touched by such topics, but a 'conversation' well worthy of the effort. Anyone else watched this?

Wife watched it all I caught most the episodes, it was good.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2017, 02:53 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: "13 Reasons Why". I'm just 3 episodes in, and impressed with how it's going so far. Not just another teen angst series, but a serious look into suicide, bullying etc. A tough subject for those whose lives have been touched by such topics, but a 'conversation' well worthy of the effort. Anyone else watched this?

Yeah watched it couple weeks ago. It was good, but have a couple or so mixed thoughts on parts of it. And since you havent finished it, wont post those yet.

Reply/Quote
Just started watching the Ranch...

Only about 2 or 3 episodes in but so far I think I can continue... lol Danny Masterson still is funny him and Ashton work pretty well together.
Reply/Quote
Guess I'm going to have to give Stranger Things a shot. Everyone seems to rave about it.
--------------------------------------------------------

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2016, 03:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: My sister just turned my brother in law on to Stranger Things...

He is hooked now lol

Seriously dude, you are correct Millhouse, great show. Re-watching the series again myself and am even more impressed.

It just reminds you of 1983 and every actor in it is absolutely flawless. So realistic for a Sci-fi/Thriller/Horror/Comedy.

It has it all.

Watched it twice. Has that Goonies/Stand by Me/ET appeal thing going for it plus a little something extra. Enjoying Shameless, but can already sense it's reason for demise.

A couple that probably doesn't appeal to as many as it does to me are An Idiot Abroad & The Moaning of Life. Karl Pilkington for President!!! Something about that dude is hilarious, yet so genuine. He just cracks me up.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2017, 04:56 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Just started watching the Ranch...

Only about 2 or 3 episodes in but so far I think I can continue... lol Danny Masterson still is funny him and Ashton work pretty well together.

I enjoyed most of The Ranch, but I hope it leans a little more towards the humor side in the upcoming season. The first half season was really funny,but then they decided to make it more of a drama in the second half. Didn't enjoy the second half as much.

Sometimes mindless comedy is just what I need to wind down after a show.
Reply/Quote

(04-19-2017, 03:22 PM)Au165 Wrote: Wife watched it all I caught most the episodes, it was good.

(04-19-2017, 04:09 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Yeah watched it couple weeks ago. It was good, but have a couple or so mixed thoughts on parts of it. And since you havent finished it, wont post those yet.

Great show

Reply/Quote
(04-19-2017, 04:56 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Just started watching the Ranch...

Yea, same creators of That 70's Show. They have good chemistry with the parents too.

Reply/Quote
(04-19-2017, 04:09 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Yeah watched it couple weeks ago. It was good, but have a couple or so mixed thoughts on parts of it. And since you havent finished it, wont post those yet.

Finished it, and first I want to thank you for withholding your thoughts  until I did. I do understand how anyone could have mixed thoughts on this, but after thinking many of them through myself, I think the work was well done overall. Articulating how depression 'freezes' one, preventing them from seeking help, while others wonder why they didn't, has to be a seriously difficult task. 

While I have many reactions to the series, one of the more simply-stated ones is a quote from one of the characters in the last episode - "It has to get better. The way we treat each other. The way we look out for each other".  It's something I learned from personal experience, having known three who attempted suicide, two of which accomplished their goal. 

It might be a while before I could watch this again, but when I do, I will enjoy it, for it's message if nothing else.

Reply/Quote
(04-22-2017, 02:18 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Finished it, and first I want to thank you for withholding your thoughts  until I did. I do understand how anyone could have mixed thoughts on this, but after thinking many of them through myself, I think the work was well done overall. Articulating how depression 'freezes' one, preventing them from seeking help, while others wonder why they didn't, has to be a seriously difficult task. 

While I have many reactions to the series, one of the more simply-stated ones is a quote from one of the characters in the last episode - "It has to get better. The way we treat each other. The way we look out for each other".  It's something I learned from personal experience, having known three who attempted suicide, two of which accomplished their goal. 

It might be a while before I could watch this again, but when I do, I will enjoy it, for it's message if nothing else.

*spoiler alert* *maybe*

The couple or so of mixed thoughts I had centered around how long it took him so long to go thru the tapes, and then the building it up for the 'wait til your tape' comes up. It just seemed to made up for the sake of telling the story. And another thought was her going to that second party as she was out walking. She knew what the one guy did at the first party as she was in the closet watching, yet still goes there uninvited at his house of all people. Just didnt seem that realistic to me at that point in the show. 

Overall though I did like it for sure. And the ending seems to have setup a season 2, or it least that seemed the purpose of it. 

Reply/Quote
(04-22-2017, 06:22 PM)Millhouse Wrote: *spoiler alert* *maybe*

The couple or so of mixed thoughts I had centered around how long it took him so long to go thru the tapes, and then the building it up for the 'wait til your tape' comes up. It just seemed to made up for the sake of telling the story. And another thought was her going to that second party as she was out walking. She knew what the one guy did at the first party as she was in the closet watching, yet still goes there uninvited at his house of all people. Just didnt seem that realistic to me at that point in the show. 

Overall though I did like it for sure. And the ending seems to have setup a season 2, or it least that seemed the purpose of it. 

Yeah, the show expanded on the book greatly, for the purpose of character development reportedly. I too was frustrated with how long it took Clay to get through the tapes. I guess we are expected to understand the emotional impact on him, and why that might have made him reluctant to binge through them.

As for Hannah winding up at the second party, she definitely was not in control of herself at that point imo. Remember that she had pretty much decided on her fate by then. The battle she was fighting had her way off center. Grasping how debilitating depression can be was the challenge there, also just my impression. 

There were a number of cliffhangers to support another season. Maybe even two more given the nature of them. I doubt if we'll see them for at least a year from now though.

Reply/Quote
I'll have to say, I had a lot of issues with 13 Reasons. Let's start with the suicide scene. When I walk away from that show, that's what disturbs me. That's what sticks in my head. Was that the point of making a 13 episode series? Me being bothered by the actual act?

I have no idea why half the kids on the tapes were freaking out. Most of them really didn't do anything that would affect their futures.

Hannah seems to not realize that people have bad stuff going on in their lives. Justin's home life is crap but that doesn't matter in Hannah's world. In fact self-righteous Hannah watches silently as a girl is raped.

Why is Hannah a slut for supposedly going to "3rd base" when the other girls are having sex?

Hannah seems to shun people who want to be her friend so she can say she has no friends. What happened to the poetry readings? Hell on the day she dies the guy from the poetry readings comes up to her and say they miss her.

I really feel like the rape was included because they looked back and saw they didn't have all that much.

Why did Hannah lie about Zach throwing away her note?

Why did the useless Yoda tell Clay that yes he did kill her? Nobody would conclude that.

The rock climbing scene and the rape confession scene were ludicrous.

The soul crushing part was the parents. They have this lawsuit, and trying to find who is at fault, but you know what's coming. At some point, one way of the other, the law suit will be over, and then there is no buffer. No mission to keep them going.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Started watching Marco Polo last night. I like it.
Reply/Quote