Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Backup QB
With AJM going to unrestricted FA, would you rather the Bengals draft a QB in this year's draft or spend some money in free agency for a journeyman? Driskell has had his moments, but he has the broken arm at the moment and I'm not sure I'd put my faith in him as a true backup if AD were to get injured...

Also - if you do go QB in this year's draft, how early do you go? Potential QB of the future in 2nd/3rd? Or Backup play in 4th/5th/6th?
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2018, 02:02 PM)mroudfly Wrote: With AJM going to unrestricted FA, would you rather the Bengals draft a QB in this year's draft or spend some money in free agency for a journeyman? Driskell has had his moments, but he has the broken arm at the moment and I'm not sure I'd put my faith in him as a true backup if AD were to get injured...

Also - if you do go QB in this year's draft, how early do you go? Potential QB of the future in 2nd/3rd? Or Backup play in 4th/5th/6th?

I think the team may shock bengaldom and the world and draft a QB rather early if the player they want at QB is there.  I don't think in round one unless Darnold is there.  But if Mason Rudolph is there in round two or three i could see the  Bengals grabbing him.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2018, 02:02 PM)mroudfly Wrote: With AJM going to unrestricted FA, would you rather the Bengals draft a QB in this year's draft or spend some money in free agency for a journeyman? Driskell has had his moments, but he has the broken arm at the moment and I'm not sure I'd put my faith in him as a true backup if AD were to get injured...

I think it will be very unlikely for the Bengals to draft a QB before their expected comp pick in the third round. Probably more likely Day 3 (Rounds 4-7).
With that said, I think that could still be ok to wait because of all the QB talent in this upcoming draft.

You have the following QBs that are debated as future starters:
Darnold
Rosen
Allen
Jackson
Mayfield
Rudolph
------------------

You also have the following QBs hitting FA that some team likely will consider as a starter:
Kirk Cousins
Drew Brees (likely not leaving NO but for the sake of a team needing a QB, we'll keep him in this list)
Teddy Bridgewater
Case Keenum
AJ McCarron
Sam Bradford (?)
--------------------------------

That's 12 potential starting QBs. 13 if a team trades with the Eagles for Nick Foles. 14 if BUF is looking for a trade partner for Tyrod.

The following teams have QB needs for this year or with an aging vet that they might want to replace in 1-2 years:
CLE
DEN
NYJ
MIN
ARZ
NYG
NO
LAC (?)
PIT (?)
NE (?)
BAL (?)
JAX (?)
-------------------------------------
7 (12 if you include the teams with aging/bad QBs)

I expect Cousins, Brees, and at least one of the three MIN QBs to take up three starter spots. McCarron will likely go to a place that either has a starting QB opening or somewhere that has an aging QB in which McCarron would be given the reigns after 1-2 years. So that's at least four QB-needy teams off the table from FA.

There will then be a run in the first 2-3 rounds on the draft QBs I mention above for the teams that still need a franchise QB and need to or can invest in an early QB pick.

After that though, there should be that next tier of QBs in the draft that fall because the QB-needy teams will have acquired their starter already.
This group of QBs I think is led by Luke Falk out of Washington St. Personally I would welcome Luke Falk with 3rd round comp or in Round 4, as I think he has a lot of good qualities and Lazor's scheme caters to his strengths while masking some of his weaknesses.

I think this second tier of QBs will be who the Bengals look at on Day 3 if they haven't already picked up a cheap vet backup in FA (thinking Matt Moore or Chad Henne level). And there are a LOT of quality backup-level vet QBs, so I think that causes teams to spend less on these guys, making them a fiscal option.

With all that said though, I could also picture the Bengals taking advantage of a situation where one of those top-tier draft QBs slips to Pick 77 and they way really like what that guy offers.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Colin Kaepernick will be a Bengal and they will probably draft a guy in the third or 4th.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I bet Lazor loves Josh Allen. Just a hunch
Reply/Quote
If a good QB falls to the 4th or 5th, you can bet the Bengals will likely have an eye on him. With all of the fundamental needs that this team has, taking a backup QB has to be pretty far down on the list of "things to get".

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It has become a need now although there are way bigger needs.

You know me, want Teddy Bridgewater brought in, but it will not happen.

Agree with Ocho that there are plenty available this year and a good one will slip to us in 4th or 5th.

Maybe third if the right one falls. But sure hope we do not waste an early pick on a back up with the needs we have.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2018, 11:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If a good QB falls to the 4th or 5th, you can bet the Bengals will likely have an eye on him.  With all of the fundamental needs that this team has, taking a backup QB has to be pretty far down on the list of "things to get".

One would hope your right. I honestly wouldn't want them to take one until round 5-6. Too many needs to be addressed. However, my fear is regardless, they wont address the needs as aggressively as we hope and it wont really matter anyway.

Reply/Quote
Mason Rudolph please. Could very easily see him being groomed into a potential replacement for Dalton in a couple of years.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2018, 11:14 PM)bonesaw Wrote: I bet Lazor loves Josh Allen.  Just a hunch

I've got a hunch that Mike Brown loves Lamar Jackson ... if he falls to Rd. 2, I could see Mikey using his executive authority to overrule all coaches and grab him.  Pretty sure that's what happened with Ross last year.
Reply/Quote
Don't know where he will fall in the draft, but Kyle Lauletta's Senior Bowl performance, plus a decent season of 28tds/3700yds, might have us looking his way. Peter King compares him to Garoppolo's ascent to the NFL. Could be a late round bargain. Maybe even an udfa. Right down Bengals Alley.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2018, 02:58 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Colin Kaepernick will be a Bengal and they will probably draft a guy in the third or 4th.

Do not see this happening at all. 

Especially since management and or ownership did not allow any players to participate in his protest on sideline. 

And if they did sign Kaep why would they waste a 3rd or 4th round pick on another QB when already having Dalton, Kaep, and Driskell ? 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
No shock to most people, but I want my qb1 is Mason Rudolph. He needs to sit for a year maybe 2. So let Dalton finish out his contract, then let rudoph take over. Just not sure he lasts till the third.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2018, 12:05 PM)shanebo Wrote: I've got a hunch that Mike Brown loves Lamar Jackson ... if he falls to Rd. 2, I could see Mikey using his executive authority to overrule all coaches and grab him.  Pretty sure that's what happened with Ross last year.

good call I can see Mikey salivating over Lamar and nobody else in the building wanting him 
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2018, 12:07 AM)bonesaw Wrote: good call I can see Mikey salivating over Lamar and nobody else in the building wanting him 

If it was the 3rd I'd be okay with Lamar Jackson because if it doesn't work out the guy really could be electric as a WR or returner and brings some gadget type plays with him too. 
Reply/Quote
If Lamar Jackson is SOMEHOW there in the 2nd round, take him in a heartbeat.

But realistically, the Bengals will most likely take one in the later rounds.

Luke Falk would be my guy. Terrific pocket passer with very good accuracy. However, he's not that great on the move and will sometimes throw into tight coverage and force a ball. There's a lot to like about his play, though.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote