Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Bengals reporters
Tyler Dragon ( @TheTylerDragon) has joined the Enquirer replacing Dehner

Ben Baby (@Ben_Baby) is replacing Katherine Terrell for ESPN. She announced today she was leaving

Both guys are coming from the Dallas Morning News.

Hopeful one or both will join us on Jungle Noise

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
We are churning through beat reporters quickly lately. Sad that none will get to experience a Marvin press conference.
Reply/Quote
Hopefully these two don’t blame the fans for the team not winning. The previous two believed the national narrative that we’re a bad fan base, not that we have a reason to be upset we’ve never won a Super Bowl or a playoff game in 28 years. Terrell was fine, but you could tell she did not want to be covering the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2019, 05:48 PM)pally Wrote: Tyler Dragon ( @TheTylerDragon) has joined the Enquirer replacing Dehner

Ben Baby (@Ben_Baby) is replacing Katherine Terrell for ESPN.  She announced today she was leaving

Both guys are coming from the Dallas Morning News.

Hopeful one or both will join us on Jungle Noise

Dragon and Baby?

I am calling BS.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2019, 06:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dragon and Baby?

I am calling BS.

Can't get one past you.  They actually hired Wayne Sworld and Herbert Phakename.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Ben Baby.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
That's what three new beat writers in less than a year?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(07-08-2019, 08:08 PM)Synric Wrote: That's what three new beat writers in less than a year?

When you do a job that can be done anywhere on the planet and you’re not from a Cincy or a Bengal fan, not much is keeping you from looking for “greener pastures”. Beat writer for the Bengals is a dream job to me, but I’m biased. My personal dream job would be a scout for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2019, 07:00 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Can't get one past you.  They actually hired Wayne Sworld and Herbert Phakename.

What a coincidence.  I just bought a computer online from Richard Phakeman.  I wonder if they are related?
Reply/Quote
Katherine Terrell did a great job for ESPN. She interacted with fans on twitter answering their questions and had a good sense of humor when dealing with angry Bengals fans. She asked Marvin some tough questions and joked about his responses on twitter. I still miss Jim Owczarski who went on to cover the Packers. The BPP he used to do with Paul Dehner Jr. was awesome. Paul Dehner jr is with the Athletic now and I can't read their content without paying which i'm debating doing. I live in New England and try to access as much Bengals news as possible. Hopefully these new writers will have a good sense of humor and personality like Terrell, Owczarski and Dehner Jr.
Reply/Quote
Whats wrong with getting somebody from Cincinnati to report on the Cincinnati Bengals?
Reply/Quote
I'm guessing for these guys it's a wide open opportunity since there's likely a saturation point among reporters in Dallas. As I recall from living in the Dallas area every time Jerry Jones farted everyone just had to do a story about it. For a no-name reporter that's like reporting on the taste of McDonald's fries from Jupiter, maybe Pluto.
Cincinnati beat reporters seem to want to move on to bigger towns and more opportunity and think just how many locals (Players mostly) in Cincinnati went on to bigger and brighter things elsewhere.. Seems like a legit stepping stone for them. As for the local papers and other beat reporting venues..there's not really that many left.
Perhaps Hal McCoy was the last of a dying breed who still reports on the Reds even though he only does a few features these days for the Dayton Daily rag.. I don't really follow Cincinnati local reporters though so perhaps I'm just spouting off nonsense. It wouldn't exactly be the first time I ever did that.. No wait..Yes it would. I've never spouted nonsense. I merely screamed it from mountain tops..  Shocked
I'm guessing Ben Baby has to be tough. Nobody could grow up with that name and not be tough..  How would you like to be 8 years old with the last name of Baby?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
They should have had open tryouts for members of this board to get a shot at those job positions. Big Grin
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2019, 11:22 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: They should have had open tryouts for members of this board to get a shot at those job positions. Big Grin

Anyone can report things. Teams don't generally just have "try outs" for reporters. Build a resume of the things you might have written and submit them to the powers that be if that's your interest.. I kind of doubt newspapers or TV broadcasters hang out on forums looking for raw talent to report on teams, but hell...maybe they do. The worst thing that can happen if you ask them is to be told no.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote