Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
New Bi-Partisan Tax Bill
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/speaker-johnson-endorses-bipartisan-tax-bill-conservative-pro-growth-reform

Great news, huge need for lower and middle class are in the bi=partisan tax bill. It is good to see Congress work together for a change.

Great job Speaker Johnson and Jason Smith.
Speaker Johnson endorses bipartisan tax bill as ‘conservative,’ ‘pro-growth’ reform
The bill has faced some pushback but is widely expected to pass Wednesday night
House Speaker Mike Johnson, R-La., is coming out in support of a bipartisan tax deal scheduled for a vote later on Wednesday.

"The Tax Relief for American Families and Workers Act is important bipartisan legislation to revive conservative pro-growth tax reform," Johnson said in a statement. "Crucially, the bill also ends a wasteful COVID-era program, saving taxpayers tens of billions of dollars."

"Chairman Smith deserves great credit for bringing this bipartisan bill through committee with a strong vote of confidence, and for marking up related bills under regular order earlier in this Congress. This bottom-up process is a good example of how Congress is supposed to make law."
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
what’s the actual voting on it to make it bipartisan? The fox article doesn’t have it and a couple minutes on google didn’t yield any results.

I’m curious if they’re using a loose definition of bipartisan where like it’s just enough votes from the minority side to pass and that’s it. Or if it’s actually bipartisan
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2024, 05:50 PM)basballguy Wrote: what’s the actual voting on it to make it bipartisan?  The fox article doesn’t have it and a couple minutes on google didn’t yield any results.  

I’m curious if they’re using a loose definition of bipartisan where like it’s just enough votes from the minority side to pass and that’s it.   Or if it’s actually bipartisan

I think it is considered bipartisan because it is a bill created by both a Republican and Democrat. It hasn't actually passed yet, or even been voted on. You can follow it here. 
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2024, 05:50 PM)basballguy Wrote: what’s the actual voting on it to make it bipartisan? The fox article doesn’t have it and a couple minutes on google didn’t yield any results.

I’m curious if they’re using a loose definition of bipartisan where like it’s just enough votes from the minority side to pass and that’s it. Or if it’s actually bipartisan

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/child-tax-credit-bill-vote-house-opposition-rcna135930
The $78 billion package, which cleared the Ways and Means Committee on a 40-3 vote

All three no votes were Democrats. They didn’t like the business tax cuts and wanted more to help out the children.

But some Republicans don’t like it either.
“I’m sick of these gutless cowards in Washington. You know what we’re gonna put on the floor next week, Jimmy? A tax cut bill for corporations," Roy said on the podcast "Fox Across America w/ Jimmy Failla," which was posted Thursday. "Because Republicans are whores for endless wars and corporations. That’s it. That’s what they stand for. And I’m not gonna pretend that it’s something else."

Republicans get their way and get tax cuts for businesses.
Democrats get their way and get to feed impoverished children.
Reply/Quote
So they are voting to reinstate tax credits for families and small businesses that these same Republicans failed to vote for extending 2 years ago...yep, it's an election year all right. Now if they can only get it through their heads that Americans want a border bill. Of course, getting it through the committee and getting it through the House are 2 different things. I'm willing to bet more Democrats will vote for the bill than Republicans

But hey, don't let politics stand in the way of doing their jobs

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2024, 08:35 PM)pally Wrote: So they are voting to reinstate tax credits for families and small businesses that these same Republicans failed to vote for extending 2 years ago...yep, it's an election year all right.  Now if they can only get it through their heads that Americans want a border bill.  Of course, getting it through the committee and getting it through the House are 2 different things.  I'm willing to bet more Democrats will vote for the bill than Republicans

Yes politicians are politicians. No different than Biden suddenly admitting the border is not secure because it is a huge voting issues. Then the politician Joe Biden tries to blame the GOP for the border crisis, for allowing 8 to 10 million people enter in 3 + years. He stated he asked for the money from day 1. Only problem is the democrats controlled both chambers in 2021 and 2022, so why didn't they give Biden the money he asked DEMOCRATS FOR ON DAY 1 ACCORDING TO JOE.

So yes an election year and Biden now wants to pretend he is going to deter, stop illegal immigrants being released into our country who are unvetted and as the F.B.I. says red flags everywhere die to the influx of illegal immigrants allowed into the US by Joe Biden and the Democratic party. 
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 12:31 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Yes politicians are politicians. No different than Biden suddenly admitting the border is not secure because it is a huge voting issues. Then the politician Joe Biden tries to blame the GOP for the border crisis, for allowing 8 to 10 million people enter in 3 + years. He stated he asked for the money from day 1. Only problem is the democrats controlled both chambers in 2021 and 2022, so why didn't they give Biden the money he asked DEMOCRATS FOR ON DAY 1 ACCORDING TO JOE.

So yes an election year and Biden now wants to pretend he is going to deter, stop illegal immigrants being released into our country who are unvetted and as the F.B.I. says red flags everywhere die to the influx of illegal immigrants allowed into the US by Joe Biden and the Democratic party. 

This thread is about the potential tax bill, which Republicans seem to want to bury because it will give Biden a "victory"  Their job is to give "victories" to the American people regardless of party.  When will Republicans finally put Americans first like they claim they want to?

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2024, 08:35 PM)pally Wrote: But hey, don't let politics stand in the way of doing their jobs

(02-01-2024, 12:35 PM)pally Wrote: Their job is to give "victories" to the American people regardless of party.

Pally of 2023 was VERY vocal about how it's never a party's job to make sure the government runs if it means giving up an advantage of making the other party look bad.

I'm of the opinion that they need to get their heads out of their asses and just cooperate and do their job, but I have always been of that opinion. I am just shocked that suddenly you've changed your opinion so sharply from what it was months ago.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 01:06 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Pally of 2023 was VERY vocal about how it's never a party's job to make sure the government runs if it means giving up an advantage of making the other party look bad.

I'm of the opinion that they need to get their heads out of their asses and just cooperate and do their job, but I have always been of that opinion. I am just shocked that suddenly you've changed your opinion so sharply from what it was months ago.

I didn't say that...what I said is that it is NOT the minority party's job to select the leader of the majority party.  Democrats wanted Hakeem Jeffries to be Speaker...they were very consistent in their votes.  It had nothing to do with making the other side look bad.  They did that all by themselves.  

This difference is that this actually involves legislation painstakingly negotiated between the 2 parties... you know like a Congress is supposed to work. If Grassley or others want to vote against it because it is bad legislation that is one thing but to say you're against it because it will give the other side a win is bullshit

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 12:31 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Yes politicians are politicians. No different than Biden suddenly admitting the border is not secure because it is a huge voting issues. Then the politician Joe Biden tries to blame the GOP for the border crisis, for allowing 8 to 10 million people enter in 3 + years. He stated he asked for the money from day 1. Only problem is the democrats controlled both chambers in 2021 and 2022, so why didn't they give Biden the money he asked DEMOCRATS FOR ON DAY 1 ACCORDING TO JOE.

Because it requires 60 votes in the Senate and when the tax credit expired they didn't have the Republican votes

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2024, 08:35 PM)pally Wrote: So they are voting to reinstate tax credits for families and small businesses that these same Republicans failed to vote for extending 2 years ago...yep, it's an election year all right.  Now if they can only get it through their heads that Americans want a border bill.  Of course, getting it through the committee and getting it through the House are 2 different things.  I'm willing to bet more Democrats will vote for the bill than Republicans

What kind of trash president sends out checks to the general population?
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 03:58 PM)pally Wrote: I didn't say that...what I said is that it is NOT the minority party's job to select the leader of the majority party.  Democrats wanted Hakeem Jeffries to be Speaker...they were very consistent in their votes.  It had nothing to do with making the other side look bad.  They did that all by themselves.  

This difference is that this actually involves legislation painstakingly negotiated between the 2 parties... you know like a Congress is supposed to work. If Grassley or others want to vote against it because it is bad legislation that is one thing but to say you're against it because it will give the other side a win is bullshit

That's how I feel.  We get 2 political parties in this country, I want more, but you can't always get what you want.  With that being said, the fact that so many people who are within and support 1 of these 2 generous choices cares about damn near nothing outside of making sure 1 single person on this planet is appointed to 1 single non-legislative position is pretty insulting.

We've gotten to the point where you can find someone up in PA where I am will tell you the border is the most important thing to him and will simultaneously say it's a-ok, if not downright good that the GOP is doing what it can to make sure it doesn't get fixed because it'll make Trump get elected and he will fix it.  And why is that good?  Because they are convinced that 1 man on this planet can and will fix things.  Only Trump does stuff in the minds of many people, and that's why lawmakers constantly talk about Trump and being like Trump and getting Trump back in power.  It's reality to them, congress can be GOP-controlled but they can't or shouldn't do anything because Trump isn't the president.

And if Trump doesn't win in 2024 we're just going to have to accept that people are more than willing and eager to sit around and do nothing until 2028.

(02-01-2024, 01:06 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Pally of 2023 was VERY vocal about how it's never a party's job to make sure the government runs if it means giving up an advantage of making the other party look bad.

That'd be nice, but a lot of people are convinced "the other side" is made up of people who deserve to be seen as enemies so cooperating with them is like, to use an old saying, givin' guns to the indians.  A recent example of this is when republicans and SC of one of those states took Trump off the ballot and someone came in here and started blaming "blue haired liberals" and basically the stereotypical 20-something current American everyone starts to hate when they get older.

It's just way too easy to beat and scare people into submission...it works.  We want it. 
Reply/Quote