Poll: What do you think of the new board format?
This poll is closed.
It's great!
5.56%
1 5.56%
I see the potential, but needs some tweaks
16.67%
3 16.67%
Meh, I don't care either way.
5.56%
1 5.56%
I kinda miss the old version, it was just fine.
44.44%
8 44.44%
You monster, how could you?
27.78%
5 27.78%
Total 18 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Board Format?
Has the board adopted a new format? Seems rather different that what was working great. Nothing wrong with new, just seems clunkier to navigate. For example, I seem to miss the list of tabs at the top of the page, where I could select to see recent posts in all forums/topics.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
My guess is that this is a more mobile responsive template. I haven't fooled around with it much, but it has that look to it.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
The "View New Posts" and "View Today's Posts" are missed.
Reply/Quote
I see that the new posts are at the bottom now. I like that.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2016, 09:37 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: I see that the new posts are at the bottom now. I like that.

They always were for me?
[Image: giphy.gif]
I will be taking no further questions at this time.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2016, 09:37 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: I see that the new posts are at the bottom now. I like that.

Thanks, I must have missed them earlier.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2016, 09:21 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Has the board adopted a new format?  Seems rather different that what was working great.  Nothing wrong with new, just seems clunkier to navigate.  For example, I seem to miss the list of tabs at the top of the page, where I could select to see recent posts in all forums/topics.
Was going to start a thread of my own about it.

Not a fan.

Seems too bunched together with too much free space, which also makes it feel like it's harder to navigate, which you think the opposite would be true.
Reply/Quote
I didn't instantly hate it...except for the 'back to the top' button is missing at the bottom of the page. 

I liked the last style but this one feels a bit cleaner and "updated". 

Except for that one button...

EDIT: Scratch that. It's the triangle at the bottom right of the page. Pretty cool. Now i won't accidentally hit 'mobile version' anymore. Big Grin

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2016, 09:29 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: The "View New Posts" and "View Today's Posts" are missed.

Ditto

Also the fonts are off on mobile.  Haven't looked, but assume it's a CSS issue. 
Reply/Quote
I can't find the usercp icon/button. That's pretty essential for me. I use it to check for replies to comments, reading rep comments, etc etc.

EDIT: Found it. You have to click the arrow next to your name and a little menu pops out. Man I hate change. Rant
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2016, 09:21 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Has the board adopted a new format?  Seems rather different that what was working great.  Nothing wrong with new, just seems clunkier to navigate.  For example, I seem to miss the list of tabs at the top of the page, where I could select to see recent posts in all forums/topics.

Yes, this is a brand new theme and format, and a much needed (and modernized) upgrade from the default based theme we were using.

This layout, although it is more feature rich, is actually pretty simple to navigate. 

I had meant to start a thread last night after the switch, but got sidetracked before heading to work.

To access your user control panel, there is now a dropdown box which is located on the right side (a green arrow beside your name after login), with quick links (CP, Mood, etc) and to logout.
The 'new posts' are now at the bottom, although that can be changed if needed.
The 'back to top' button is now a box at the bottom right hand side with the orange triangle.

I realize it will take every one a bit to get used to the new look and format. If there are any questions/suggestions about the new layout, everyone can post post them in this thread and I'll answer them. As always, I value feedback.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2016, 12:50 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I can't find the usercp icon/button. That's pretty essential for me. I use it to check for replies to comments, reading rep comments, etc etc.

EDIT: Found it. You have to click the arrow next to your name and a little menu pops out. Man I hate change. Rant

Yeah, I'm still getting used to it myself. LOL This theme, while very different, should be better for a number of different reasons, and we can make tweaks (if needed) as we go along.

Also, if enough members simply don't like this theme, or find it problematic for whatever reason, we can simply revert back.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2016, 01:21 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, I'm still getting used to it myself. LOL This theme, while very different, should be better for a number of different reasons, and we can make tweaks (if needed) as we go along.

I haven't been on the site on my phone much lately, but I remember there being issues before. For example, I think there was a classic mode, but it would always revert back to "normal" whenever I changed pages. 

Will this new format be better for mobile?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I like it. Once you get to figure out what's really different, it's better, IMO. ThumbsUp
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
I would just like a way for the board not to jump to mobile (phone) mode all the time when on a tablet.
Reply/Quote
Overall, I like it. And it definitely looks cooler.

I do miss the "Today's Threads" though. I'm used to clicking on that first thing. But, I can live without it.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2016, 03:35 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Overall, I like it. And it definitely looks cooler.

I do miss the "Today's Threads" though. I'm used to clicking on that first thing. But, I can live without it.

'New Posts' and 'Today's New Posts' are located in the footer now. I might eventually add them to the top as well.
Reply/Quote
Not feeling it too much. Looks very bad on my PC.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2016, 04:39 PM)Thefinalcut813 Wrote: Not feeling it too much. Looks very bad on my PC.

What do you mean by 'bad'? You just don't like the look or it's not displaying correctly?
Reply/Quote
Oh dear. I really liked the old theme - it was modern and clean.

This design seems very fussy and to be honest looks slightly unfinished.

- The black bands are distracting and pull attention away from the content to parts of the page that should be subtle.
- The seemingly random use of Times New Roman in the upper section of the page looks out of place (at best) and broken (at worst).
- Please fix the 5px of white padding above the poster details column - it looks like a mistake rather than part of the design
- While you are there, do something about the height of the poster details column. A one line reply from some posters is taking up 524px, which makes it very difficult to follow the flow of the conversation. As it stands, you can't even fit two posts from you on a standard 1080p screen! Take a look at the space above and below the avatar, as well as the size of the user rank indicators.
- The drop down you get by clicking on the green arrow by your name is exactly the same colour as the black section headers. This causes them to merge together oddly. Consider using a border/drop-shadow to separate the elements
- There's a huge gap between the thread icon and the title of the thread in the standard forum index view. .trow1.forumdisplay_sticky is probably not used in this forum layout, so the column needs deleting
- Check the line-height on the About us box in the footer - the lines are clipping over each other. 15px should be your absolute minimum.
- The gradients on the Post Reply and Preview Post buttons now look out of place against the flat blockiness of the rest of the site
- Definitely consider reducing the standard post text size of 16px to something smaller - 14px makes the lines about the right length for the size of the box whereas 16px means shorter lines that require more effort to read.

I hope that didn't come across as too negative. I don't hate it, I just wish it was a little bit closer to perfect!
Reply/Quote