Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Catch Rule Passes Unanimously
(03-28-2018, 01:12 PM)Sled21 Wrote: That will never happen. They changed the schedule so that teams start and end with Division foes to keep those games interesting for teams that are out of contention. It worked. Now, they could switch it up and let us start and finish against Pissburgh or Cleveland once in a while....

Yes, quite.

Looking back on it, since the rule change (2010) we've played Baltimore in our final game every time apart from once against Pittsburgh. Hadn't realized it was that bad.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2018, 10:02 AM)Beaker Wrote: The new/old catch rule cames a few months too late for Jesse James and the steelers. That's a shame...lol

That is too bad and am having a hard time sleeping at night because of it.  lol

But probably why they changed it
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2018, 10:54 AM)Go Cards Wrote: That is too bad and am having a hard time sleeping at night because of it.  lol

I said it before, something bad happens to them and WHAMMO, we need a rule change!!! lol   Of course that rule needed clarification
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2018, 11:43 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I said it before, something bad happens to them and WHAMMO, we need a rule change!!! lol   Of course that rule needed clarification

It hasn't escaped me that the league puts in place a rule against lowering the helmet and making contact, just as soon as Ryan Shazier and Mike Mitchell no longer play for the Piss Yellow Express......
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2018, 12:30 PM)Sled21 Wrote: It hasn't escaped me that the league puts in place a rule against lowering the helmet and making contact, just as soon as Ryan Shazier and Mike Mitchell no longer play for the Piss Yellow Express......

I guess you missed the new rule making it illegal to make fun of pissburg fans..  From now on you have to watch games 15 yards further away from your TV.. if there's any wall in the way tough luck .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2018, 10:54 AM)Go Cards Wrote: That is too bad and am having a hard time sleeping at night because of it.  lol

(03-29-2018, 11:43 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I said it before, something bad happens to them and WHAMMO, we need a rule change!!! lol   Of course that rule needed clarification

(03-29-2018, 12:30 PM)Sled21 Wrote: It hasn't escaped me that the league puts in place a rule against lowering the helmet and making contact, just as soon as Ryan Shazier and Mike Mitchell no longer play for the Piss Yellow Express......

I don't believe in coincidences, i believe you guys are correct. Sumbitches. Whatever
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2018, 09:35 AM)dnkw Wrote: Yes, quite.

Looking back on it, since the rule change (2010) we've played Baltimore in our final game every time apart from once against Pittsburgh. Hadn't realized it was that bad.

Thank geezus you're bringing this up. 

It has been my singular mission to inform anybody who will or won't listen that this supreme bias has been going on since the league instituted division play in Wk 17 back in 2010. (I call it the Gooney Rule - hence the handle.)

You're dead right that we've played the Ravens every single season but one, which means that Pissburgh has got to close with a practically guaranteed win and a 2nd bye for any potential playoff push as they've graciously been granted a final game nearly every single time against the Browns - worst team in football over that stretch. 

But the real crime here is that this does not happen anywhere else in football. Only the AFC North. There is no other division in football - AFC or NFC - that has this kind of fixed scheduling in Wk 17. It's not even close. There's at least some semblance of rotation over the years in question for all the other divisions, but ours is about as blatantly rigged as you can get. 

Forget conspiracy theories of actual outcomes fixed on the field. This is the kind of thumb on the scales, extra 5% here, 10% better odds there advantage that the league manages behind the scenes to gift the Gooney family year in and year out. What's incredible is that the Stealer B's have been able to do jack all with it since AJ and Andy entered the league. 

In a sport designed for parity, the Bengals organization puts itself behind the 8 ball with a lot of the Brown family practices; we can all admit that. But it's not even debatable that our misfortune is also in part due to the fact that we play in the same division as the team owned by the family who hand selected Roger Goodell in 2006, and the inherent conflict of interest that fact entails and presents in many ways, not the least of which is this outright and outrageous kick in the teeth seemingly every time the schedule comes out.

Maybe this year we'll see what happens with the Browns and Ravens drafts and if Cleveland seems to be on the up, perhaps the league will offer Shittsburgh a little twist in their happy ending. 
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2018, 07:15 PM)The Gooney Rule Wrote: Thank geezus you're bringing this up. 

It has been my singular mission to inform anybody who will or won't listen that this supreme bias has been going on since the league instituted division play in Wk 17 back in 2010. (I call it the Gooney Rule - hence the handle.)

You're dead right that we've played the Ravens every single season but one, which means that Pissburgh has got to close with a practically guaranteed win and a 2nd bye for any potential playoff push as they've graciously been granted a final game nearly every single time against the Browns - worst team in football over that stretch. 

But the real crime here is that this does not happen anywhere else in football. Only the AFC North. There is no other division in football - AFC or NFC - that has this kind of fixed scheduling in Wk 17. It's not even close. There's at least some semblance of rotation over the years in question for all the other divisions, but ours is about as blatantly rigged as you can get. 

Forget conspiracy theories of actual outcomes fixed on the field. This is the kind of thumb on the scales, extra 5% here, 10% better odds there advantage that the league manages behind the scenes to gift the Gooney family year in and year out. What's incredible is that the Stealer B's have been able to do jack all with it since AJ and Andy entered the league. 

In a sport designed for parity, the Bengals organization puts itself behind the 8 ball with a lot of the Brown family practices; we can all admit that. But it's not even debatable that our misfortune is also in part due to the fact that we play in the same division as the team owned by the family who hand selected Roger Goodell in 2006, and the inherent conflict of interest that fact entails and presents in many ways, not the least of which is this outright and outrageous kick in the teeth seemingly every time the schedule comes out.

Maybe this year we'll see what happens with the Browns and Ravens drafts and if Cleveland seems to be on the up, perhaps the league will offer Shittsburgh a little twist in their happy ending. 

Is this really true? This doesn't happen in any other Division? Shocked
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2018, 07:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Is this really true? This doesn't happen in any other Division? Shocked

Disgusting, isn't it?

After the schedule was released last year, I had had about enough. I checked every division's WK 17 games going back to 2010, and it's actually sad how much the AFC North stands as an outlier to the way the other divisions rotate their final game each year.

I guess that's one thing I've fixated on for so long now that I notice it straight away when the schedule comes out, and I've been hoping it would draw more media attention by now. All of my FB accounts I've tried to use in the comment sections of sports media articles have been flagged/deactivated every single time I've made reference to this topic. (My guess is not the subject matter being blackballed by a higher power, but by Shittsburgh fans who report the truth (and my putrid Dan Gooney thumbnail pic I use) as offensive. 

This is the year and time to make a push to get some traction on it. It's the dead of the offseason. FA is dying down. Draft still a month away. Once opening day for MLB is over, and the Final Four finishes next week, a story/investigation into why the Rooney family catches such breaks from the league (over ever other single team), might just get some traction. 

If we wait until the schedule comes out, the league might throw a change-up, and then we'd lose leverage on calling their caca out. If there's a stink made before hand, and then they change the schedule, it'll look like they're guilty as charged - and they are.

Any thoughts on how to push the right buttons to get it amplified in the right way?
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2018, 08:11 PM)The Gooney Rule Wrote: Disgusting, isn't it?

After the schedule was released last year, I had had about enough. I checked every division's WK 17 games going back to 2010, and it's actually sad how much the AFC North stands as an outlier to the way the other divisions rotate their final game each year.

I guess that's one thing I've fixated on for so long now that I notice it straight away when the schedule comes out, and I've been hoping it would draw more media attention by now. All of my FB accounts I've tried to use in the comment sections of sports media articles have been flagged/deactivated every single time I've made reference to this topic. (My guess is not the subject matter being blackballed by a higher power, but by Shittsburgh fans who report the truth (and my putrid Dan Gooney thumbnail pic I use) as offensive. 

This is the year and time to make a push to get some traction on it. It's the dead of the offseason. FA is dying down. Draft still a month away. Once opening day for MLB is over, and the Final Four finishes next week, a story/investigation into why the Rooney family catches such breaks from the league (over ever other single team), might just get some traction. 

If we wait until the schedule comes out, the league might throw a change-up, and then we'd lose leverage on calling their caca out. If there's a stink made before hand, and then they change the schedule, it'll look like they're guilty as charged - and they are.

Any thoughts on how to push the right buttons to get it amplified in the right way?
Great writing!!
However, if you think about it, the AFCN has pretty much in that time span, have been on the verge of sending 3 teams to the playoffs. I guess the hope is for the Bengals and Ravens to knock one or the other out of the playoffs. Why not the Ravens and Steelers? Maybe they have better ratings when they play a Sunday night or any other primetime game during the middle of the season or Bengals vs Steelers during the season. Not sure if they have games on Sunday night week 17 or not, haven't checked..
Reply/Quote
Consider that the whole thing is about making money for team owners any argument of fairness goes right out the window. 
Suppose that you own a team and you make money regardless of how well your team does. You can elect to have your crappy team play and probably lose or in the name of profit you can let the winning team play and make more money .Well, that's a no brainer.. 
Despite how we might feel about things the league is not some democracy where fans get to vote on who plays who. Team owners are not democratically elected officials sent to league offices to represent our best interest. They're ruthless business people out to make as much money as possible for themselves and screw the fans who blindly follow their respective teams..
In some fantasy world where teams are owned and operated based on wants and needs of the people of the geographical area yeah, you would elect someone who truly represents your interests, but it's actually based on what's good for (in our case) Mike Brown and family's financial bottom line and if that means that the Squeelers get all the best players, all the rules tilted in their favor and scheduling that maximizes the dollars coming into the Brown family coffers guess who gets to celebrate the winning team?  Hint: It ain't us.. 
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2018, 08:11 PM)The Gooney Rule Wrote: Disgusting, isn't it?

It is truly disgusting. The Stealers have to have their get out of jail free card at the end of every season.

While the Ravens and us have to battle it out to kick the other one out of the Playoffs. You cannot make this shit up.

I thought it was strange how we started and ended the season against the Ravens last season.

The Raven's fans should be pissed about this too as this resulted in us kicking them out.

Keep up the good work my man, i believe this is the best way to go about it.

Just keep bringing it up, they cannot ignore it forever.

(03-30-2018, 02:22 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Great writing!!
However, if you think about it, the AFCN has pretty much in that time span, have been on the verge of sending 3 teams to the playoffs. I guess the hope is for the Bengals and Ravens to knock one or the other out of the playoffs. Why not the Ravens and Steelers? Maybe they have better ratings when they play a Sunday night or any other primetime game during the middle of the season or Bengals vs Steelers during the season. Not sure if they have games on Sunday night week 17 or not, haven't checked..

Cause the Ravens always play the Stealers tough, that is why.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2018, 02:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The Raven's fans should be pissed about this too as this resulted in us kicking them out.

The Steelers have only won 6 of their last 15 games against the Ravens.

If the NFL is fixed in favor of the Steelers someone forgot to tell the Ravens.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2018, 01:04 PM)grampahol Wrote: I guess you missed the new rule making it illegal to make fun of pissburg fans..  From now on you have to watch games 15 yards further away from your TV.. if there's any wall in the way tough luck .

That's why i made sure my TV faces a window. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2018, 03:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The Steelers have only won 6 of their last 15 games against the Ravens.

If the NFL is fixed in favor of the Steelers someone forgot to tell the Ravens.

Maybe why i don't hate the Ravens as much as the other Divisional teams.

They own the Stealer bastids.

Just is weird how we get owned by those bastids and always play the Ravens tough.

Also, must add if the NFL is not fixed than the Stealers should play the Ravens in the last game of the year sometimes instead of the Browns.
Reply/Quote
Yes it should alternate between teams and with home games alternating as well.
Reply/Quote