Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Coach and New Expectations
I hear a lot of hyped fans for the Bengals future, a lot of renewed hope the change will end in great results. All fans hope for great things, but our individual expectations likely vary.

What are your expectations for a new coach and new coaching staff who is inheriting 2 HOF players in Green and Geno. They also have a veteran QB who is solid and cap friendly.

So, one year from today, what record and or results makes you happy?

2 years from now?

3 years from now?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I honestly don’t know what my expectations are. All I can say is I’m hopeful and that I’m excited to see what seems to be an organization beginning to “get it”. If they continue doing things different than they did in the past, which started last off-season, then football could be exciting again in Cincinnati.

Now I just wait in anticipation to see if these “risky” moves prove to be good/great moves.

Reply/Quote
Super Bowl 2020..
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 02:25 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I hear a lot of hyped fans for the Bengals future, a lot of renewed hope the change will end in great results. All fans hope for great things, but our individual expectations likely vary.

What are your expectations for a new coach and new coaching staff who is inheriting 2 HOF players in Green and Geno. They also have a veteran QB who is solid and cap friendly.

2 years from now?

3 years from now?

What the fans want to give him and what the Browns will give him are likely two different things.

Truthfully with a roster full of talent like we have, he should show results within two years.  With the Browns he'll get 5, UNLESS we're a Shula Train Wreck.  Then he'll get 3.  =p
Reply/Quote
Year 1 for me is 8-8/9-7 and year two is a playoff birth and win. After that it’s just a little bit of luck and see what happens. This roster isn’t as bad as the injuries made it appear. With a couple LB additions and some luck in terms of health we can win now. The line could use some improvement but a lot of teams have won with bad lines and it didn’t stop Mixon from having a great year.

My biggest expectation is year 1 we tailor an offense around our personnel. I’d like to see the jet sweep action with Ross in almost every play similar to how KC uses Hill often and how LAR used Tavon Austin two years ago. Then I want to see a running game designed with Mixons one cut style in mind similar to what the Rams did with Gurley. Set Dalton up for success with a lot of play action off the same running looks and let’s really build an efficient attack playing to strengths not some OC’s “scheme”
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 02:25 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I hear a lot of hyped fans for the Bengals future, a lot of renewed hope the change will end in great results. All fans hope for great things, but our individual expectations likely vary.

2 years from now?

3 years from now?

I think a 9-10 win season next year would be positive.....if they make the needed upgrades at LB, OL. A -7-8 win season would be a disappointment, but a new coach gets some leeway, Playoff win by 2021-22 season when Trevor Lawrence leads us to the promise land.
Reply/Quote

2 years from now?

3 years from now?

I'm expecting pretty much a new look offense, one that other teams cannot predict its next move like a clock.

I also expect the defense to play with more fire and pressure on the QB.

The OL and LBers need addressed with the proper moves.

I do want this team to start beating the Steelers on a regular basis. That's a target Merv could never reach. How can any team actually expect to win in the playoffs if it can't beat the best team in its own division.

The next thing I expect to see is better game planning and in-game management. God would this make a difference if it actually does happen.

Obviously I want a SB, but the above are more or less the baby steps I'd like to see from this new coaching staff in their first season.

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 03:04 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: I think a 9-10 win season next year would be positive.....if they make the needed upgrades at LB, OL. A -7-8 win season would be a disappointment, but a new coach gets some leeway, Playoff win by 2021-22 season when Trevor Lawrence leads us to the promise land.

Another year like this one and teams might be lining up to tank for Trevor.  I can picture the 0-0 ties now.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote

2 years from now?

3 years from now?

Stay healthy and draft well and we will be fine.. I believe I read that around 3/4s of the teams in the playoffs this year were in the top 15 of most healthy teams.  For example very unlikely the Ravens make the playoffs if their defense was not one of the most health defenses in the league for the year..
Reply/Quote
1yr 8-8
2yr 10-6 and playoff win
3yr 12-4 2 playoff wins
4yrs SB win.
5yrs SB win
6yrs SB win

ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 03:24 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: 1yr 8-8
2yr 10-6 and playoff win
3yr 12-4 2 playoff wins
4yrs SB win.
5yrs SB win
6yrs SB win

ThumbsUp

Oh God.  You just told me I have three years left to live.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Year one, I don't expect the Bengals to be in the playoffs, I think they will get close but will fall short. If they make the playoffs, it a bonus.

Year two, I expect the Bengals to make the playoffs but don't expect much more. Most likely will be a one and done having calls of wanting the coach replaced, but not from me.

Year three, this is when it should be exciting. The Bengals win their first playoff game and may even make it to the AFC Championship game.

Year four, I expect the AFC Championship game and maybe be good enough to get to the Super Bowl, but I'm not holding my breath.

Year five, Super Bowl win!
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 02:49 PM)Au165 Wrote: Year 1 for me is 8-8/9-7 and year two is a playoff birth and win. After that it’s just a little bit of luck and see what happens. This roster isn’t as bad as the injuries made it appear. With a couple LB additions and some luck in terms of health we can win now. The line could use some improvement but a lot of teams have won with bad lines and it didn’t stop Mixon from having a great year.

My biggest expectation is year 1 we tailor an offense around our personnel. I’d like to see the jet sweep action with Ross in almost every play similar to how KC uses Hill often and how LAR used Tavon Austin two years ago. Then I want to see a running game designed with Mixons one cut style in mind similar to what the Rams did with Gurley. Set Dalton up for success with a lot of play action off the same running looks and let’s really build an efficient attack playing to strengths not some OC’s “scheme”

Yes, its exciting to start with a fresh outlook...like shooting a big can of Febreze on this team...however, I do not think Ross is even close to being able to be a Tyreek Hill type of player...too soft and not into being a "football player"
Hopefully new regime will use him as decoy at least until we find a true # 2 with speed.
Lastly, lets ship Dalton to the Jags for some picks and move on with a new QB. He wont get it done and is a very limited average QB. ...we all know this. One scenario is if St Nick does well again for Philly, maybe a Wentz trade is there??  
Reply/Quote
I want to see Baker Mayfield running for his life.

I want to see Ben Roethlisberger on the bottom of a pile of angry Bengals.

I want to see Lamar Jackson throw pick sixes to William Jackson III.

I want to see Andy Dalton and AJ Green set passing and receiving records which will never be broken.
Reply/Quote
This is a reasonably good thread.  It is hard to form expectations based on rumor and speculation.  Nevertheless, If it is Zac Taylor as head coach I have some idea what may transpire.

Year 1:

Will probably have a losing season.
Purge vets from the team that under perform.  AJ Green and Dalton are traded.     
Target a young gunslinger at QB.  I think Taylor will want his elite QB to form.
Establish accountability and film study among players.
Begin the process of fixing the Offense Line.
Fix the Linebacker position.
Offense ranked in top 20.  

Year 2:

Winning season.  
A New QB takes over team.  
Finish fixing O-Line.
Implement WCO completely
Offense ranked in top 10

Year 3:

Playoffs and reaching AFC Championship
New QB rated as elite
O-Line established
Offense ranked in top 5
Defense ranked in top 10.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote

2 years from now?

3 years from now?

Eh, I still don't think next year will be too good.

We now have (assuming Big Ben stays for next year) arguably the worst QB in our division. Lamar Jackson MAY be, but I think he can do some things Dalton couldn't, and he's shown some good flashes.

O-line and LBs are still pretty bad, and I don't think it will all be fixed in one year. The more effective one, IMO, would be if we revamp the LB core and get maybe 1 more good O-lineman. We wouldn't be great on O-line, but we can still play good O. With a good LB group, our defense becomes MUCH better. They need to be faster.

It's honestly tough to tell though, because I have no clue what either side of the ball will look like now. I think we will emphasize Mixon a LOT more though, and hopefully focus on becoming a faster defense. 

I wouldn't be upset with a losing season though, as long as it's not something horrid like 4-12. Just show some good competitiveness, and progress towards a SB.  
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 04:07 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Yes, its exciting to start with a fresh outlook...like shooting a big can of Febreze on this team...however, I do not think Ross is even close to being able to be a Tyreek Hill type of player...too soft and not into being a "football player"
Hopefully new regime will use him as decoy at least until we find a true # 2 with speed.
Lastly, lets ship Dalton to the Jags for some picks and move on with a new QB. He wont get it done and is a very limited average QB. ...we all know this. One scenario is if St Nick does well again for Philly, maybe a Wentz trade is there??  

Ross’s speed was the comparison and from a scheme stand point the jet action creates hesitation for defenders. Tyler Boyd is our 2 and one of the best in the league.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 03:27 PM)McC Wrote: Oh God.  You just told me I have three years left to live.  

Better start tying up those loose ends...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 04:34 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I want to see Baker Mayfield running for his life.

I want to see Ben Roethlisberger on the bottom of a pile of angry Bengals.

I want to see Lamar Jackson throw pick sixes to William Jackson III.

I want to see Andy Dalton and AJ Green set passing and receiving records which will never be broken.

Ditto to this ^

Add hoisting the Lombardi Trophy and you got yourself a winner.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Good thread, in years one and two, I’d like to see the Bengals visibly show up in big moments and in big games, especially against the Steeers and in prime time, to show that there is a renewed culture with an emphasis on playing clutch football. I think Marvin, especially in the end, appeared to downplay everything as “just another game”.

I believe that emphasis combined with a more aggressive style on offense and defense, and good lord willing, there can’t possibly be as many injuries as this season, can get the team over the hump to 8-8 or 9-7.

I think 8-8 or 9-7 in year 1 would be acceptable. anything under that, management should be looking for much bigger improvements in year 2. But overall, I think the team’s response in those clutch moments will tell the bigger story of Taylor is in over his head or on the right track.
Reply/Quote