Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Coach and New Expectations
(01-12-2019, 02:25 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I hear a lot of hyped fans for the Bengals future, a lot of renewed hope the change will end in great results. All fans hope for great things, but our individual expectations likely vary.

What are your expectations for a new coach and new coaching staff who is inheriting 2 HOF players in Green and Geno. They also have a veteran QB who is solid and cap friendly.

So, one year from today, what record and or results makes you happy?

2 years from now?

3 years from now?

Green has A LOT of work to do to get into the HoF conversation. He’s by no means a lock right now. He’ll have to stay healthy, and put up big numbers the rest of his career.

As to my expectations, I want a playoff win within a couple years.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I don't care as much about the first year. But this team has talent. I don't think asking for a playoff win in his second season is unreasonable.

That's where I got frustrated with people defending hue on the browns. "Oh, nobody is that bad, he's only losing for the picks." No, hue is a bad coach and he was losing because he was in over his head.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 07:31 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Great comments. I am an old guy, so while I want to be patient to see us win, time is running out for me to see a winner.

I see some/most are giving the new guy a few years to win anything, that is reasonable.

I saw one suggesting we blow up the roster thus rebuild and take time.

Again great comments.

For me at least 9 wins in 2019

Playoff win minimum in 2020

Win it all by 2021

My hope is we don't have anther 7 win or less season for 4th year in a row.

I'm 54.  I think I have a decent chance of outliving Mike Brown.  I just hope Katie is more interested in winning.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 08:34 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Just to clarify, you don't care if they lose if the above is accomplished.

I don't think better clock management could cause us to lose.  If they make halftime adjustments and lose every time, then they aren't making very good adjustments.  If playing the best player causes a learning curve that causes us to lose at first but results in wins later, I can live with it.  I don't see how better motivation and fire to win can cause us to lose, but if it does I'm ok with it.  I'm tired of the deer in the headlights look on the sidelines.  
Reply/Quote
Fix the oline with new talent. establish some cohesiveness. having a set of new OTs every year since Whit left is doing more damage than is realized.
get a OC that can actually get the most of these WRs TEs on downfield routes that are current and not from 1981.
once the offense can learn to control the TOP...the defense will improve through rest alone in some cases.
Reply/Quote
I'm not saying we should all have lowered expectations, but the opening day video on the score boards might go something like this....
https://youtu.be/3flv5nWZgII
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I may be in the minority, but I'm not lowering expectations in year one, I am raising them. It's not like we're putting a brand new team together, we're not an expansion team, the key ingredients are already here. We add a few pieces, and with some decent coaching, I expect better results.... otherwise, we could have just kept merv.
Reply/Quote
The optimistic side of me says: We are picking from the Sean Mcvay tree! He will bring the intensity, knowledge, discipline and success to Cincinnati that Mcvay brought to the Rams!

The pessimistic side of me say: Do I really believe Taylor can be for us what Mcvay has been fo LA? Not really. It just feels like it would be too good to be true.

Admittedly, I don’t know a lot about Zac Taylor. To those who do, or think they do, does he have that same, knowledge, fire and intensity that Mcvay brings? Do you think he will be able to lead an entre room of men? The few clips I’ve seen of Taylor he does seem to exude confidence but he also seems kind of boring. Granted, that doesn’t make him a good or bad candidate, I’m just wondering if there are some on here that know more about him that I do that can refute some things I’ve said or reassure that he does in fact have “Mcvay-like” traits. Any UC fans out there that can give us anything?

I want to be clear, I’m not trying to tear him down or be overly critical of Coach Taylor. I’m excited to see this new chapter of Bengals football. I can’t wait for him to get to town, acquire his staff and start putting his scheme to work.

I suppose you could just call me cautiously optimistic.

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 12:04 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: The optimistic side of me says: We are picking from the Sean Mcvay tree! He will bring the intensity, knowledge, discipline and success to Cincinnati that Mcvay brought to the Rams!

The pessimistic side of me say: Do I really believe Taylor can be for us what Mcvay has been fo LA? Not really. It just feels like it would be too good to be true.

Admittedly, I don’t know a lot about Zac Taylor. To those who do, or think they do, does he have that same, knowledge, fire and intensity that Mcvay brings? Do you think he will be able to lead an entre room of men? The few clips I’ve seen of Taylor he does seem to exude confidence but he also seems kind of boring. Granted, that doesn’t make him a good or bad candidate, I’m just wondering  if there are some on here that know more about him that I do that can refute some things I’ve said or reassure that he does in fact have “Mcvay-like” traits. Any UC fans out there that can give us anything?

I want to be clear, I’m not trying to tear him down or be overly critical of Coach Taylor. I’m excited to see this new chapter of Bengals football. I can’t wait for him to get to town, acquire his staff and start putting his scheme to work.  

It's really not even about knowledge when it comes to Taylor. As long as he brings fire and accountability, as long as he picks the right OC and DC, it's more about the tone he sets.....
Reply/Quote
I'd like to see who our HC officially is before making any expectations.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 12:04 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: The optimistic side of me says: We are picking from the Sean Mcvay tree! He will bring the intensity, knowledge, discipline and success to Cincinnati that Mcvay brought to the Rams!

Admittedly, I don’t know a lot about Zac Taylor. To those who do, or think they do, does he have that same, knowledge, fire and intensity that Mcvay brings? Do you think he will be able to lead an entre room of men? The few clips I’ve seen of Taylor he does seem to exude confidence but he also seems kind of boring. Granted, that doesn’t make him a good or bad candidate, I’m just wondering  if there are some on here that know more about him that I do that can refute some things I’ve said or reassure that he does in fact have “Mcvay-like” traits. Any UC fans out there that can give us anything?

I've had similar thoughts.  Does the Boy Wonder have the motivational skills that Marvin lacked?  I'm skeptical from what I've seen of him so far, but I want to believe.
Miss Otis regrets she's unable to lunch today.
Reply/Quote
Mine are more intangible.

Year one: complete culture change. Everybodys accountable. Play disciplined, hard nosed football. I would like to remphasize disciplined football.

Year two: complete scouting & training overhaul. Find a better way to get better guys in. Let’s also find a better way to prevent or reduce injuries. I see teams using those robot tackling dummies, some have to take a piss test everyday to check for hydration. Nutrient intake... the whole thing.

Year three: Practice bubble Ninja kidding. Would like to see them take some risks. Get a little creative with how they approach FA, trades of schemes. Hopefully primed to win it all
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 08:41 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: There are many opinions are the right way to close out a half, aggressive/not aggressive.

I do hate prevent defenses at end of half or games.

(01-12-2019, 08:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: No doubt, so many instances that we cannot even mention.

Prevent defense cost us the second SB. Denver did not make the same mistake against GB.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 12:35 PM)XsandOs Wrote: Prevent defense cost us the second SB. Denver did not make the same mistake against GB.

Well... prevent and Joe Montana....
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 12:38 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Well... prevent and Joe Montana....

And didn't they also elect to not double Rice on the winning drive?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 12:40 PM)McC Wrote: And didn't they also elect to not double Rice on the winning drive?

Yep...
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 12:46 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yep...

Gonna test my memory before I watch.  

Craig had a catch and run and Rice had all the rest until the game winner.

Never mind.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
You are a bunch of masochists. What’s next, the 2015 meltdown?

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 12:55 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You are a bunch of masochists. What’s next, the 2015 meltdown?

Certain Bengal's fans...…

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 12:06 PM)Sled21 Wrote: It's really not even about knowledge when it comes to Taylor. As long as he brings fire and accountability, as long as he picks the right OC and DC, it's more about the tone he sets.....

100%
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote