Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Coach and New Expectations
I had a dream last night, Taylor was the coach and we made the playoffs and won our first game.
Tiger

2024 MOCK DRAFT (4 ROUND)

1ST ROUND-OT-JC LATHAM-ALABAMA
2ND ROUND-OG-COOPER BEEBE-KANSAS
3RD ROUND-DT-DEWAYNE CARTER-DUKE
3RD ROUND-WR-JACOB COWING-ARIZONA
4TH ROUND-CB-MIKE SAINRISTIL-MICHIGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 12:38 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Well... prevent and Joe Montana....

(01-13-2019, 12:40 PM)McC Wrote: And didn't they also elect to not double Rice on the winning drive?

LeBeau called a perfect game till that last drive. And Billups dropped the sure INT in the end zone........
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 12:04 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: The optimistic side of me says: We are picking from the Sean Mcvay tree! He will bring the intensity, knowledge, discipline and success to Cincinnati that Mcvay brought to the Rams!

The pessimistic side of me say: Do I really believe Taylor can be for us what Mcvay has been fo LA? Not really. It just feels like it would be too good to be true.

Admittedly, I don’t know a lot about Zac Taylor. To those who do, or think they do, does he have that same, knowledge, fire and intensity that Mcvay brings? Do you think he will be able to lead an entre room of men? The few clips I’ve seen of Taylor he does seem to exude confidence but he also seems kind of boring. Granted, that doesn’t make him a good or bad candidate, I’m just wondering  if there are some on here that know more about him that I do that can refute some things I’ve said or reassure that he does in fact have “Mcvay-like” traits. Any UC fans out there that can give us anything?

I want to be clear, I’m not trying to tear him down or be overly critical of Coach Taylor. I’m excited to see this new chapter of Bengals football. I can’t wait for him to get to town, acquire his staff and start putting his scheme to work.  

I suppose you could just call me cautiously optimistic.

This is going to sound really silly but...looking at pics and short clips of him on the sideline, i was worried that he kind of looked like a wall flower. Not like McVay who just looks intense. Then i went and found a couple interviews and a story on him while he was at UC and i was instantly relieved. He doesn't have that same intensity and fire that guys like Gruden and McVay have, but he has a very determined and focused demeanor and he looked really good while he was working drills with the UC QBs. 

I didn't want another Marv-type. A guy who just spews stuff out of his mouth but doesn't look or act like someone you would follow into battle. I don't know if Taylor is the kind you would, but after checking a couple vids, i know he's closer than i originally thought. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 02:22 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: This is going to sound really silly but...looking at pics and short clips of him on the sideline, i was worried that he kind of looked like a wall flower. Not like McVay who just looks intense. Then i went and found a couple interviews and a story on him while he was at UC and i was instantly relieved. He doesn't have that same intensity and fire that guys like Gruden and McVay have, but he has a very determined and focused demeanor and he looked really good while he was working drills with the UC QBs. 

I didn't want another Marv-type. A guy who just spews stuff out of his mouth but doesn't look or act like someone you would follow into battle. I don't know if Taylor is the kind you would, but after checking a couple vids, i know he's closer than i originally thought. 

What impresses me is the high regard everyone he's worked for has for him.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 10:18 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Actually stay healthy and home field advantage is more important in playoffs than coaching, 

Disagree, it is all important.

Just ask the Patriots.
Reply/Quote
I hope he's not afraid to get in the referee's ear.....
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 02:22 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: This is going to sound really silly but...looking at pics and short clips of him on the sideline, i was worried that he kind of looked like a wall flower. Not like McVay who just looks intense. Then i went and found a couple interviews and a story on him while he was at UC and i was instantly relieved. He doesn't have that same intensity and fire that guys like Gruden and McVay have, but he has a very determined and focused demeanor and he looked really good while he was working drills with the UC QBs. 

The best ever to coach the game stays calm on the sideline. You can't tell if he is happy or mad. ML shows as much intensity as BB, he just does not win like him
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 08:38 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The best ever to coach the game stays calm on the sideline. You can't tell if he is happy or mad. ML shows as much intensity as BB, he just does not win like him

Different people exude different levels of confidence and determination. Marv showed neither. I don't need/want a guy who is all frothy at the mouth on the sidelines because that doesn't mean anything. 

Someone with a clear focus and a determination to see that come to fruition is what i'd prefer. I felt i saw that in Taylor, but never from milquetoast marv, even in his fake-fiery speech on HK in '09. 

Marv was always vague and didn't seem like he knew a clear path to success. BB doesn't tell anyone anything either, but he shows himself on the field with how his team performs. Those two are polar opposites. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 10:06 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Someone with a clear focus and a determination to see that come to fruition is what i'd prefer. I felt i saw that in Taylor, but never from milquetoast marv, even in his fake-fiery speech on HK in '09. 

09? Damn, I can’t believe it’s been that long.

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 08:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote:  Fred can come in here and argue how many times we threw it or what not but in the end you do what works

Actually that is the point I have been making all along.

It doesn't matter if the coach is hyper aggressive or very conservative.  If it does not work the fans will say he was wrong and he should have done the other thing.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 10:06 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote:  I felt i saw that in Taylor, but never from milquetoast marv, even in his fake-fiery speech on HK in '09. 

Here is another point.  Fans make up their minds based on "feelings" and then no matter what really happens they judge it based on "feelings".

So even when Marvin gets tough with the players it is called "fake" because of "feelings".
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 10:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually that is the point I have been making all along.

It doesn't matter if the coach is hyper aggressive or very conservative.  If it does not work the fans will say he was wrong and he should have done the other thing.

I disagree. Well, unless you agree with me, then I disagree again. Hilarious

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 10:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is another point.  Fans make up their minds based on "feelings" and then no matter what really happens they judge it based on "feelings".

So even when Marvin gets tough with the players it is called "fake" because of "feelings".

He could be in over his head and fall flat on his face. I can only offer my feelings based on my 52 years and my interactions with tens of thousands of people in my life. My feelings aren't to be taken with anything more than a grain of salt and if Taylor fails, i wouldn't hesitate to admit that i was wrong. 

Marv's outburst was, literally, the one and only time (iirc) he's done something like that, so it was out of character and felt fake. 

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 08:38 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The best ever to coach the game stays calm on the sideline. You can't tell if he is happy or mad. ML shows as much intensity as BB, he just does not win like him

Ya but that best coach wouldn't wait until week 16 to pull Redmond for messing up to much. And that's why he didn't win like him.

Players know they have to maintain discipline with that best coach. With Merv, not so much.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 02:49 PM)Au165 Wrote: Year 1 for me is 8-8/9-7

(01-12-2019, 04:00 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Year one, I don't expect the Bengals to be in the playoffs,

(01-12-2019, 04:48 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Year 1:

Will probably have a losing season.

(01-12-2019, 04:54 PM)thillan Wrote: Eh, I still don't think next year will be too good. 

(01-12-2019, 06:19 PM)LebanonFan Wrote: I think 8-8 or 9-7 in year 1 would be acceptable. 

(01-12-2019, 09:41 PM)HuDey Wrote: I think 9 wins is asking a lot of a team that is not very good and will be adjusting to new coaching/systems. 

(01-12-2019, 09:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I expect around 9 wins in the first year under Taylor if we are not injury riddled.

So clueless dumbass Marvin took over a 2-14 team that had not had a winning season in 12 years and improved 6 games to 8-8 his first year.

Now the new guy comes along and takes over a 6-10 team just three years removed from a 12-4 season and fans don't expect more than 9 wins his first year?

If Marvin was as bad as you all claim shouldn't you expect his replacement to be in the playoffs next year?
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 02:02 PM)XsandOs Wrote: LeBeau called a perfect game till that last drive. And Billups dropped the sure INT in the end zone........

He could have been the biggest hero in Cincinnati had he caught that. Hell, I would even say he would still be alive today had he caught it. 
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 10:32 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Marv's outburst was, literally, the one and only time (iirc) he's done something like that, so it was out of character and felt fake. 

Actually you have no clue if that was the one and only time because we rarely had video access to the team practices.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 08:27 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote:  I expect the best player to play, and this favoritism of veterans to stop. 

Just to be clear by "best players" you mean your favorites, correct?
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 10:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So clueless dumbass Marvin took over a 2-14 team that had not had a winning season in 12 years and improved 6 games to 8-8 his first year.

Now the new guy comes along and takes over a 6-10 team just three years removed from a 12-4 season and fans don't expect more than 9 wins his first year?

If Marvin was as bad as you all claim shouldn't you expect his replacement to be in the playoffs next year?

The reason I stated that the Bengals may not have a winning season next year is because of so much change on staff.  I also think Taylor may purge some on the roster.  If I recall correct, Lewis had several coaches in place to help him with the transition.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 10:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually you have no clue if that was the one and only time because we rarely had video access to the team practices.

You do understand that we have video from 2 Hard Knocks, as well as videos from many training camps, as well as thousands of fans that have been at games and training camps, as well as many reporters that...report on the Bengals? Yes, you do.

Can you name one other time you've even heard of Marv chewing a player(s) ass?

So, i do have, at least, a clue. 

Reply/Quote