Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New DC frontrunner?
(02-19-2019, 03:55 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: As far as I can remember, only the Giants last year and the Bengals this year, have even bothered to contact/talk to him...and neither led to an serious interview.

Which is exactly where I am heading with this. He was the guy until Taylor got in the building and it seemed something changed. Almost like someone got to him and "filled him in". 

Don't be confused JDR wants to be a HC again and I wonder if people are worried he will step over a young HC to do it.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 03:52 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: When it comes to Del Rio - if I had to bet my house - I would guess at least part of it was trust / personality. Del Rio has that big dog personality with a healthy ego to with it. As a young, first time head coach, you gotta have a gouy who buys into to what you're selling...someone who shares your vision and approach. He may have not been comfortable with the idea of Del Rio looking over his shoulder or second guessing him.

Of course, that's all just conjecture on my part, but I think that it had to play a part. When you look at McVay, he was able to go out and get a guy like Wade Phillips, who had a personality that meshed very well with his...which they've both talked about a few times.

As for Anarumo - who I don't know a lot about, if he does get the job, I sure as hell he makes the most out of his shot.

It's also very possible Jack Del Rio is too much old school like Marvin. Marvin would never adapt or make adjustments. Too rigid? Remember the press conferences. Jack and Marvin worked together many years ago. If they are similar, I am thrilled Zac didn't hire him.
Bengals football, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet.
Reply/Quote
I am not one saying that we have to hire some guy with a name I recognize. I know there are always young guys that deserve a shot, but there is generally a consensus around the league regarding which young up-and-comers are good candidates for coordinator or head coach positions. They usually get a few interviews before landing a spot. Problem is the guys we are talking about have not even gotten a sniff from any other team. They are all just guys that Zac has worked with before. He seems to be more interested in being comfortable than hiring guys who might give him a different point of view.
Reply/Quote
This is a new world's record for coach being on the hot seat. Ours is on the hot seat before he has even met most of his team. Priceless.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Interesting note Pellisoro says while we have reached out to a lot of people the job has only been offered twice.

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 03:52 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: When it comes to Del Rio - if I had to bet my house - I would guess at least part of it was trust / personality. Del Rio has that big dog personality with a healthy ego to with it. As a young, first time head coach, you gotta have a gouy who buys into to what you're selling...someone who shares your vision and approach. He may have not been comfortable with the idea of Del Rio looking over his shoulder or second guessing him.

Of course, that's all just conjecture on my part, but I think that it had to play a part. When you look at McVay, he was able to go out and get a guy like Wade Phillips, who had a personality that meshed very well with his...which they've both talked about a few times.

As for Anarumo - who I don't know a lot about, if he does get the job, I sure as hell he makes the most out of his shot.

Honestly, I thought Taylor said he wanted guys who would challenge each other's ideas, but in a respectful way. I don't see JDR as a disrespectful ego maniac, but maybe I'm wrong. I just know I wanted some guys who may challenge Taylor, and all I see are likely cronies that Taylor previously worked with and unlikely to really challenge him. 

I'm not going to be negative about Taylor and his staff for the next 5 months, but I'm just not feeling another Dolphins guy with a weak resume. Hard to get excited by that. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 01:48 PM)Trademark Wrote: Giants DB’s were atrocious last year. Not excited about this at all. Starting to not like this regime

This
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 04:06 PM)Au165 Wrote: Interesting note Pellisoro says while we have reached out to a lot of people the job has only been offered twice.

That does kinda shed a different light on things, doesn't it?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 04:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am not one saying that we have to hire some guy with a name I recognize.  I know there are always young guys that deserve a shot, but there is generally a consensus around the league regarding which young up-and-comers are good candidates for coordinator or head coach positions.  They usually get a few interviews before landing a spot.  Problem is the guys we are talking about have not even gotten a sniff from any other team.  They are all just guys that Zac has worked with before.  He seems to be more interested in being comfortable than hiring guys who might give him a different point of view.

Isn't that just another way of saying guys he doesn't agree with?

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 04:20 PM)McC Wrote: That does kinda shed a different light on things, doesn't it?

It kind of just looks like the normal interviewing process we see in the business world. Sometimes you bring a lot of people in that look good on paper but when you ask them the tough questions you don't quite trust them. 
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 04:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Honestly, I thought Taylor said he wanted guys who would challenge each other's ideas, but in a respectful way. I don't see JDR as a disrespectful ego maniac, but maybe I'm wrong. I just know I wanted some guys who may challenge Taylor, and all I see are likely cronies that Taylor previously worked with and unlikely to really challenge him. 

I'm not going to be negative about Taylor and his staff for the next 5 months, but I'm just not feeling another Dolphins guy with a weak resume. Hard to get excited by that. 

I'm not sure you can make that assumption.  Just because they have a history together does not mean that they don't challenge each other.  For example, I have a friend with whom I have worked at four different companies.  We work very well together, but neither one of us is afraid to tell the other one they are wrong about something.  We always do it respectfully, but we still do it nonetheless.

So perhaps he's brought these coaches in because he knows they absolutely will challenge him, but they will do so in a way that does not create discontent. Because that's the key. You could have an assistant that challenges you and bring out the best, or you can have one that undermines you and ruins the chemistry of the team.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Giants DB coach? Ugh. We've officially entered worse case scenario territory with this one. But we weren't getting anyone worth a d*** this late anyway. The fact the Giants are willing to let him go and it's almost March tells you all you need to know about what they think of him.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Taylor is obviously looking for someone who will buy into his plan and philosophy from top to bottom, and he's willing to go with less experience and questionable resumes to do it. Its probably a good thing, really. The X's and O's are definitely a big part of it, but so is creating a winning atmosphere within the organization and everyone being on the same page. Would they have better looking resumes if they coached under McVey, or Bellichunk, or Dabo? Probably so.
Reply/Quote
Is it too late to pick up Marvin's 2019 option and take a mulligan on this? I'd give the FO credit for trying at least.

Another half-assed reboot with the remaining nucleus might feel better than Zac Taylor building a team out of the douchebags he used to do coke and go to strip clubs with when they were pretend coordinators in Miami. This isn't a poker night a coach Turner's where we get together, smoke cigars and talk about what interns we want to harass. It's the NFL.

No idea what a Lou Anuramo is, but I'm betting he'll sign for a hell of a lot less than any legit DC candidate in the league. Guys that never dreamed thy'd have a shot at that kind of job are like that.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 04:25 PM)Au165 Wrote: It kind of just looks like the normal interviewing process we see in the business world. Sometimes you bring a lot of people in that look good on paper but when you ask them the tough questions you don't quite trust them. 

I think WW nailed it when he said that in the past, even when Marvin was hired to a certain exotent, the whole process was done in relative secrecy and only after the deal was done did the details come out.  This airing it out in public has a lot to do with how this is being perceived.

Reply/Quote
Cant be worse than last years defense with Austin can it? LOL
Reply/Quote
If you've watch the Giants DB's I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 03:56 PM)McC Wrote: We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.   Just the rule changes along since then are highly significant. 

Marvin had one of the best defenses ever in 2000 but his role in that gets constantly diminished by the talent level of that defense.  Couldn't the same be said for that Denver defense?

The rule changes haven't been so significant that a guy like JDR would be lost. C'mon man. He'd adjust just as other DC's have adjusted. It's not like he's been removed from the game.

2000 Ravens

Ray Lewis: Hall of Fame
Rod Woodson: Hall of Fame
Rob Burnett: 1x pro bowler - 73 career sacks
Mike McCrary: 2x pro bowler - 71 career sacks
Peter Boulware: 4x pro bowler - 70 career sacks
Chris McAlister: 3x pro bowler
Sam Adams: 3x pro bowler
Tony Siragusa: one of the best block eaters in the game
Jamie Sharper: went on to lead the league in tackles with Houston

The Broncos defense was talented, but the 2000 Ravens had one of the best collections of talent in NFL history.

(02-19-2019, 04:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am not one saying that we have to hire some guy with a name I recognize.  I know there are always young guys that deserve a shot, but there is generally a consensus around the league regarding which young up-and-comers are good candidates for coordinator or head coach positions.  They usually get a few interviews before landing a spot.  Problem is the guys we are talking about have not even gotten a sniff from any other team.  They are all just guys that Zac has worked with before.  He seems to be more interested in being comfortable than hiring guys who might give him a different point of view.

We have a pretty intelligent group of guys on these boards. Not sure why people throw veiled insults about "names" as if our fans here aren't smart enough to know a good candidate from an also-ran. I agree with you on young up and comers. I don't think anyone here would claim Anarumo is an "up and comer" nor is he a proven candidate. He's just another guy that Taylor worked with already. 

We can have faith in Taylor and we can also take a "wait and see" approach to all of these hires, but when I objectively look at some of these hires and their current resumes, it's just not impressive.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
The U.S. Merchant Marine Academy won a program changing victory at Endicott College to win the New England Bowl. I know its almost 2 decades since Lou left, but we got to give him some credit for it. Zac may be onto something here. Championship culture being set in. Buy your season tickets now.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 04:46 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The rule changes haven't been so significant that a guy like JDR would be lost. C'mon man. He'd adjust just as other DC's have adjusted.

Lets compare the talent of the 2000 Ravens to the 2014 Broncos (Del Rio's last year - when they ranked 3rd in total defense)

2000 Ravens

Ray Lewis: Hall of Fame
Rod Woodson: Hall of Fame
Rob Burnett: 1x pro bowler - 73 career sacks
Mike McCrary: 2x pro bowler - 71 career sacks
Peter Boulware: 4x pro bowler - 70 career sacks
Chris McAlister: 3x pro bowler
Sam Adams: 3x pro bowler
Tony Siragusa: one of the best block eaters in the game
Jamie Sharper: went on to lead the league in tackles with Houston

The Broncos defense was talented, but the 2000 Ravens had one of the best collections of talent in NFL history.

We have a pretty intelligent group of guys on these boards. Not sure why people throw veiled insults about "names" as if our fans here aren't smart enough to know a good candidate from an also-ran. I agree with you on young up and comers. I don't think anyone here would claim Anarumo is an "up and comer" nor is he a proven candidate. He's just another guy that Taylor worked with already. 

We can have faith in Taylor and we can also take a "wait and see" approach to all of these hires, but when I objectively look at some of these hires and their current resume's, it's just not impressive.

If JDR is so damn good, how come his buddy Marvin didn't hire him?

Reply/Quote