Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Defensive Coordinator Ideas
Marvin Lewis is here to stay and it’s obvious he wants to bring in better talent via free agency on the field so why not hire big name coaching talent? For Defensive Coordinator there are three outstanding candidates who happen to be out of work at the moment:

Jim Caldwell, Chuck Pagano, and my personal favorite, Jack Del Rio. Jack was Marvin’s linebacker coach for the Ravens when they allowed the least points per game in NFL history in 2000.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I feel like Del Rio is the obvious choice... but would Del Rio want to go back to a coordinator position? Pretty sure his eyes are set on HC position.

I've never been impressed with Caldwell, he seems like Marvin Lewis 2.0 to me. I will always remember him sitting Peyton Manning instead of letting the Colts go for an undefeated season. What a chump.

I'm not sold on Pagano, don't know enough about his history. I might be ok with this.

It's too bad that the Jets kept Todd Bowles, he was a pretty good DC.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 10:22 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I feel like Del Rio is the obvious choice... but would Del Rio want to go back to a coordinator position? Pretty sure his eyes are set on HC position.

I've never been impressed with Caldwell, he seems like Marvin Lewis 2.0 to me. I will always remember him sitting Peyton Manning instead of letting the Colts go for an undefeated season. What a chump.

I'm not sold on Pagano, don't know enough about his history. I might be ok with this.

I was actually evaluating on past defensive coordinator skill, not on head coaching skill. I wouldn’t want Jim Caldwell as head coach either. As for Jack Del Rio I think his head coaching run is over and, besides, he and Marvin are friends.
Reply/Quote
Is Mike Brown and Family really going to Step Off and let Marvin and Lasor hire coaches ?....I hope so....Defensive Coordinator. Running Backs coach. Offensive Line Coach. all other coaches....I hope people understand how critical these moves are, more so than the draft....more so than the draft.....I point to Patriots coaching to show that it all starts with the right coaches, and the right system....I'M HOPING Bengals put together a Super Bowl Coaching Staff. ...I fear Mike Brown and Tobin and these front office clunkers will decide to call all the shots and remain too many cooks stirring the pot. ...I would LOVE Mike Brown and Tobin to back off and let these coaches bring in their own coaches for the first time ever.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Caldwell's background is in offense.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 10:22 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I feel like Del Rio is the obvious choice... but would Del Rio want to go back to a coordinator position? Pretty sure his eyes are set on HC position.

he's not getting a head coach gig this year so he might as well be a coordinator.  Fired head coaches take a step backwards all the time

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 10:31 PM)blt4584 Wrote: Caldwell's background is in offense.

+1. You’re right. Cross him off then.

Who was I thinking of?!?!?
Reply/Quote
I think we were counting on Vance Joseph getting fired and coming back here to DC. Then Elway took a look at the pool or replacement head coaches and foiled are plans by retaining him.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 10:32 PM)pally Wrote: he's not getting a head coach gig this year so he might as well be a coordinator.  Fired head coaches take a step backwards all the time

Spot on, Del Rio is the obvious choice.

Should of been on the phone with him today. He is not a good HC right now, this would fit him perfectly.

Just what we need at DC. He is a great DC and he is aggressive the word Marv was using all day ironically.

Plus we are not lacking talent on Defense for him to work with and Marv and him are ole buds.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 10:34 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: +1. You’re right. Cross him off then.

Who was I thinking of?!?!?

Steve Spagnuolo.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 10:38 PM)bonesaw Wrote: I think we were counting on Vance Joseph getting fired and coming back here to DC. Then Elway took a look at the pool or replacement head coaches and foiled are plans by retaining him.

I can’t believe I’m saying this but we may have dodged several bullets by retaining Marvin.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 10:38 PM)blt4584 Wrote: John Fox? Fired from the same division at least.

If he has defensive coordinator experience....

...and Green Bay fired Dom Capers.
Reply/Quote
There was a podcast yesterday with Dave Lapham where was supposed to talk about Jack Del Rio. Unfortunately I wasn't able to listen in but I imagine he discussed the history with Marv already brought up in this thread.

So it is being discussed. If we can get Jack Del Rio I'll be a happy freakin guy
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 10:40 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I can’t believe I’m saying this but we may have dodged several bullets by retaining Marvin.

It's too soon to say for sure. But I'm certainly feeling better about things today. Marv clearly talked Mike into shitcanning Paul Alexander, no small task. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 10:38 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Steve Spagnuolo.

I know i asked this in the other thread but wasn't Spagnoulo the HC for the Giants at the end of the season?

Hard for him to take a demotion or just come over to be our DC unless we pay him a lot of dough.

Great DC though, just like Del Rio, maybe even better is Spagnoulo. Has the Pats number brah.
Reply/Quote
Little Zim or Little Belichick
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 10:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I know i asked this in the other thread but wasn't Spagnoulo the HC for the Giants at the end of the season?

Hard for him to take a demotion or just come over to be our DC unless we pay him a lot of dough.

Great DC though, just like Del Rio, maybe even better is Spagnoulo. Has the Pats number brah.

Like Jack Del Rio, Steve Spagnuolo hasn’t had great success as a head coach. It was the same with Dick LeBeau. All three were studly defensive coordinators though. The only former defensive coordinator who became a winning head coach is Marvin!
Reply/Quote
I bet it's gonna be..........................DC Paulie G

He ain't leaving.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 10:51 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Like Jack Del Rio, Steve Spagnuolo hasn’t had great success as a head coach.  It was the same with Dick LeBeau.  All three were study defensive coordinators though.  The only former defensive coordinator who became a winning head coach is Marvin!

Something about modern DC's and their transitions to head coach Hmm Hmm 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 10:51 PM)bonesaw Wrote: I bet it's gonna be..........................DC Paulie G

He ain't leaving.

Agreed.

I think that's the most likely scenario. 
Reply/Quote