Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Dey Indeed - Reiff less than 5 million cap hit in 2021
Well fans, Bengals are getting better with cap manipulation.

Reports seem to be wrong, it is a 2 year deal with only 5+ million guaranteed. His cap hit in 2021 is less than Bobby Hart at under 5 million.

Team still has over 24 million in cap space so if you remove 11 million for rookies (it will be less as some of those rrookies will remove already counted top 51 towards the cap, we still have at least 13 million.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

I am impressed. How about anyone else?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Everything I’m seeing still says one year.

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 12:49 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Well fans, Bengals are getting better with cap manipulation.

Reports seem to be wrong, it is a 2 year deal with only 5+ million guaranteed. His cap hit in 2021 is less than Bobby Hart at under 5 million.

Team still has over 24 million in cap space so if you remove 11 million for rookies (it will be less as some of those rrookies will remove already counted top 51 towards the cap, we still have at least 13 million.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

I am impressed. How about anyone else?

It doesn't have any base salary in for 2022. Does that mean he technically wouldn't be under contract the 2nd year, there'd just be 'dead money' spread to that year?

Creative. Makes me wonder how much cushion they'll leave this year for street free agents.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 12:54 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: It doesn't have any base salary in for 2022. Does that mean he technically wouldn't be under contract the 2nd year, there'd just be 'dead money' spread to that year?

Creative. Makes me wonder how much cushion they'll leave this year for street free agents.

It is all bonus money in year 2 and not guaranteed. My guess is Reiff has the option to decline the year 2 versus the team. Or the team can offer him another longer term deal.

But either way, I love it, great contract for the team.

I would not object to having Geno back, wonder if he would consider a similar contract.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Looks like the Bengals are taking advantage of the void year cap planning. This way they can spread part of the cap hit into a fake year that automatically voids after the season.

I’m sure this rule has been around before but I’ve never seen it used as much as I have this year. With the lower salary cap this season lots of cap strapped teams are doing this. Glad to see the Bengals being creative finally.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 01:41 PM)bengals0425 Wrote: Looks like the Bengals are taking advantage of the void year cap planning. This way they can spread part of the cap hit into a fake year that automatically voids after the season.

I’m sure this rule has been around before but I’ve never seen it used as much as I have this year. With the lower salary cap this season lots of cap strapped teams are doing this. Glad to see the Bengals being creative finally.

I don't recall seeing them do this in the past.

So reality is we are not on hook for 7.5 million as was reported early. That is huge.

All of the 2 to3 million dollars less in guaranteed money add up when 51 guys count towards the cap hit.

Reply/Quote
Galladay gone so maybe we get 2 or 3 more versus just him

Reply/Quote
Voidable years are a helluva drug.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 01:41 PM)bengals0425 Wrote: Looks like the Bengals are taking advantage of the void year cap planning. This way they can spread part of the cap hit into a fake year that automatically voids after the season.

Nice post, welcome to the board. Nice seeing this from our FO for once. Rock On
Reply/Quote
The nice thing is if Reiff works out well we will have plenty of cap room to extend him handsomely.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 12:58 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It is all bonus money in year 2 and not guaranteed. My guess is Reiff has the option to decline the year 2 versus the team. Or the team can offer him another longer term deal.

But either way, I love it, great contract for the team.

I would not object to having Geno back, wonder if he would consider a similar contract.

Nah, it's what's called a voidable year.

It's a one year contract, but the Bengals have elected to put some of his 2021 money onto 2022.  I know that sounds confusing and I probably did a terrible job explaining it (because I really don't know how it works exactly myself).

This is something that's kinda of new, and frankly I'm kinda shocked to see the Bengals jump on board this early.  They're usally pretty vanilla with their contracts and how they spread out the cap.

If you want to get even more confused I just found this if you want to read up.  Enjoy and good luck...

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2021/3/16/22334000/nfl-free-agency-tom-brady-taysom-hill-voidable-years
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 02:02 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: So reality is we are not on hook for 7.5 million as was reported early. That is huge.

We are and we aren't.

We do have him to pay a total of 7.5 million dollars, but not all of those 7.5 million dollars count against the 2021 cap.

Make sense?  No?  Welcome to the crazy trend of voidable years.   Wink
Reply/Quote
Reiff is average, but better than any OL we have. Draft Sewell and if he's gone, pray he's in another conference when we pick Pitt.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 02:45 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: We are and we aren't.

We do have him to pay a total of 7.5 million dollars, but not all of those 7.5 million dollars count against the 2021 cap.

Make sense?  No?  Welcome to the crazy trend of voidable years.   Wink
TY for clarification, I did not see any dead money first I looked in 2022, see it now.
But, I still don't recall Bengals doing this ever before. Give a player 7.5 million for a 1 year deal, but a cap hit in year one of only 4.7 million.

Reply/Quote
I just saw this done by the Steelers for JuJu Smith

WR JuJu Smith-Schuster: Signed a one-year deal worth $8 million. The deal includes a $7 million signing bonus, $1 million base salary and four voidable years, lowering his 2021 cap number to $1.6 million.(Taylor Bisciotti, Ian Rapoport and Tom Pelissero.)

Crazy things being done. I never heard of 1 voidable year, The Steeler's used 4 voidable years to sign him.

My point is deals this could allow us to make a lot more moves, even big moves still in FA.

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 02:43 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Nah, it's what's called a voidable year.

It's a one year contract, but the Bengals have elected to put some of his 2021 money onto 2022.  I know that sounds confusing and I probably did a terrible job explaining it (because I really don't know how it works exactly myself).

This is something that's kinda of new, and frankly I'm kinda shocked to see the Bengals jump on board this early.  They're usally pretty vanilla with their contracts and how they spread out the cap.

If you want to get even more confused I just found this if you want to read up.  Enjoy and good luck...

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2021/3/16/22334000/nfl-free-agency-tom-brady-taysom-hill-voidable-years

I can see that being a good tool, if used in moderation.  What I inevitably see happening is some teams will abuse that practice, until they reach a point where a significant percentage of their next season's cap is tied up in dead money, for players that aren't even on the team any more.

Kind of like wooing your girl with an extravagant vacation to Hawaii, and putting it all on a credit card, only to have her leave your ass when you get home.  Then, you're stuck paying the bill, and left without resource to woo another girl.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 12:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I can see that being a good tool, if used in moderation.  What I inevitably see happening is some teams will abuse that practice, until they reach a point where a significant percentage of their next season's cap is tied up in dead money, for players that aren't even on the team any more.

Kind of like wooing your girl with an extravagant vacation to Hawaii, and putting it all on a credit card, only to have her leave your ass when you get home.  Then, you're stuck paying the bill, and left without resource to woo another girl.

I agree, but with the cap deduction in 2021 versus a cap increase per the norm and a huge cap increase projected in years 2022 and beyond, this is a great year to use it in my opinion.

Reply/Quote
Looks like it's 1 year $7.5 mill with $5.5 mill guaranteed.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2021/03/contract-details-trubisky-andrews-carson-jones-reiff-joyner
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Wonder how long the league will allow teams to keep doing this?

I know it has been a thing for awhile, just seems like an obvious beat the cap situation that they wouldn't be thrilled about being so obvious with.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 11:50 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Wonder how long the league will allow teams to keep doing this?

I know it has been a thing for awhile, just seems like an obvious beat the cap situation that they wouldn't be thrilled about being so obvious with.

I did not understand how teams with no cap space were signing players. Now I see the JuJU 4 years voidable deal and understand.

I think those who have used this tactic in the past a lot are the ones this year in cap hell, maybe I am wrong.

But, in 2022 cap will likely go way up, so the Bengals can leverage 2022 and 2023 and be aggressive if needed, and they still have 13 million left after the rookie contracts are paid.

Also, I think Gio and Uzomah are prime players to cut or restructure at a minimum. I have said it many times in other threads, I love for us to go get Ertz for 8.2 million. He is 30 and a stud blocker and receiver when healthy.

Reply/Quote