Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Direction MDD Simulation
There seems to be a position group that is not getting much discussion and when looking at the Bengals roster I am not sure why. Think about an injury to either Cam Taylor-Britt, DJ Turner, or Mike Hilton. With the uncertainty with the DJ Ivey injury they are looking at Jalen Davis and Allan George. That is not very appealing if you ask me. Then consider the wide open defenses in the NFL at this time and the increasing talent level of the wide receivers in this league. Personally, I believe this is a position group that really needs to be considered for a first round selection.

Reply/Quote
RD. 1 - 18th Overall:
Quinyon Mitchell - CB - Toledo - 6'0" 195
The Bengals are dangerously thin at corner and this selection gives them arguably the best corner in the draft and an instant impact player for the Anarumo defense. Mitchell checks the boxes for size, length, and physicality and to go with them he add elite speed and outstanding instincts. Some will argue that he played in the MAC but that sure did not seem to bother him at the Senior Bowl, where he was clearly the best corner in Mobile. Mitchell needs to continue to hone his technique but he plays a brand of football that should translate to the NFL. With this selection I would imagine the two starting boundary corners with be Mitchell and CTB which would slide Turner to heir apparent of the nickel position of Hilton.

This is a great value selection for the Bengals which gives them a dominant presence at corner which is extremely important in the NFL game.

RD. 2 - 49th Overall:
T'Vondre Sweat - DT - Texas - 6'4.5" 366
I would rank NT as the single biggest position of need for the Bengals and CB as second. However, there is not a NT carrying a first round grade in this draft but in the second they get the best pure NT in this draft. Sweat is the reigning Outland Trophy winner and while his running mate Murphy is considered the best DT in the draft I would say that Sweat carries the title of best NT in this draft. In the NFL and especially the AFC North, stopping the run is paramount to a successful defense. Sweat is a space filling, block eating, run stuffing machine that fills the void left by the loss of Reader. Sweat should step in day1 as the starter and not look back.

Another excellent BPA/Need ratio selection for the Bengals.

RD. 3 - 80th Overall:
Malachi Corley - WR - W. Kentucky - 5'11" 215
He has been compared to Deebo Samuel and like Samuel I believe that Corley is a very gifted talent that can do many different things for an offense. While he may not be an elite field stretching WR he brings a skillset that defenses will have to scheme for with the many things he is able to do. Corley could be better version of Tyler Boyd in the many different ways that he could move the chains for an offense. This just adds even more depth to the ways that the Bengals offense will be able to attack a defense and he should compliment the ability of Chase, Higgins, and Iosivas to stretch a defense.

RD. 3 - 97th Overall:
Blake Fisher - OT - Notre Dame - 6'6" 310
The signing of Trent Brown made the focus on RT in the first not a priority. However, the Bengals are fortunate enough to land a starting caliber RT at the end of the 3rd round. Fisher will benefit from having a full season to hone his technique and to acclimate to the NFL while learning from two very good OTs in the Brown bookends. Fisher comes with immense natural talent and abilities with the size and length that you are looking for in a NFL OT. He plays a rather complete brand of football but does need to work to polish some aspects of his technique. While he may not make an immediate impact if Trent Brown does not return in '25 then this will be an extremely important selection for the Bengals.

RD. 4 - 115th Overall:
Cade Stover - TE - The Ohio State - 6'4" 247
The Bengals miss on Baby Gronk in the 1st but they land Farmer Gronk in the 4th. Stover is a high end receiving talent at the TE position and adds the best receiving weapon that the Bengals have had at the position since Joe Burrow was drafted. Stover is a polished route runner that can create separation with his ability to snap in and out of his breaks. He has the speed to test the defense at all levels and can produce yards after the ball is in his hands and punish tacklers that take him on. He is a capable blocker but nothing near what makes Bowers the best TE in this class but he has the attitude and aptitude to improve his blocking abilities.

RD. 5 - 149th Overall:
Zak Zinter - OL - Michigan - 6'6" 309
The Bengals need to starting building depth on their interior line with both Volson and Cappa being free agents after the '25 season. Zinter is a player that is capable of lining up at all 3 interior positions. While he has not played center in a game he has taken extensive practice snaps at center in his tenure with the Wolverines. Zinter is a very technically savvy lineman that plays with the nasty disposition that you want in a lineman. Zinter was a team captain on a line that the Joe Moore award winner as well as him being a finalist for the Academic Heisman, The William V. Campbell Trophy. Could take a flyer on the '24 season as he is recovering from a broken leg in November.

RD. 6 - 194th Overall:
Hunter Nourzad - C - Penn State - 6'3" 317
Karras is a free agent after the '24 season and the Bengals may very well have landed his replacement in Nourzad. Hunter has played in a very physical conference and has done it at an extremely high level. There are those that feel that he is capable of being an early starter in the NFL. Hunter will have a season to learn from one of the best how to play center at the NFL level and how to be an outstanding human being. He is experienced at guard as well so could be valuable depth off of the bench in '24.

RD. 6 - 214th Overall:
Tyrone Tracy Jr. - RB - Purdue - 5'11" 209
The Bengals add a RB who many feel is on the rise. Tracy has only had a single season as a full time starter as a RB. Tracy was a transfer from Iowa where he played WR. That single season as a starting RB showed a player that is naturally talented and very capable at the position. He makes for a difficult matchup for linebackers trying to cover him and after making the catch is capable of producing solid yards. Tracy also offers real value as a returner and on kick coverage.

RD. 7 - 224th Overall:
Kamal Hadden - CB - Tennessee - 6'1" 196
Hadden had his season cut short with a shoulder injury but prior to that he was consistently facing some of the most talented receivers in college football on a rather regular basis and doing it rather successfully. Hadden brings outstanding size and length to the corner position but will need to prove that he can handle the long speed at the NFL level. Hadden could prove extremely valuable as a specialty corner covering TEs that the Bengals have notoriously struggled to cover. A very experienced corner that adds real depth to the secondary room.

RD. 7 - 237th Overall:
Trent Taylor - S - Air Force - 6'0" 209
The Bengals are sitting pretty good with Stone, Battle, and Bell but it seems they may be considering Hill more at the CB position and Andersen just cannot stay healthy. Taylor is an absolute ballhawk that plays a brand of football that translates well to the NFL. Beyond what they are getting in a football player they are getting an outstanding human being and after listening to even a single interview with this young man it becomes extremely apparent the great person that he is and the influence that he could have on a locker room. Taylor is not subject to military deferment so immediately can report to an NFL team.
Reply/Quote
I heard the Joe Goodberry talking up Quinyon here. He would be a great get. I'm not sold on Cade Stover as a TE (would rather have another front 7 defensive player) but otherwise pretty strong.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I would be against this because of all the recent draft capital they have used on DBs.
They have used early picks on DBs over the past couple of drafts so I don’t see how you could use another one this year.

2023 - 2nd and 3rd round DBs (and a 7th who looked good before his injury)
2022 - 1st and 2nd round DBs

Time to invest these valuable picks in another area - they should have plenty of young talent to work with in the defensive backfield. Would rather see them sign a veteran to back up the starters than use another early pick on a DB.
Reply/Quote
I think Terrion Arnold may be a dark horse pick. Mitchell is moving up to possibly the first CB taken. But the Bengals will take the BPA. If it’s a OT they’ll go there.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2024, 06:35 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: I would be against this because of all the recent draft capital they have used on DBs.  
They have used early picks on DBs over the past couple of drafts so I don’t see how you could use another one this year.

2023 - 2nd and 3rd round DBs (and a 7th who looked good before his injury)
2022 - 1st and 2nd round DBs

Time to invest these valuable picks in another area - they should have plenty of young talent to work with in the defensive backfield. Would rather see them sign a veteran to back up the starters than use another early pick on a DB.

I get what you are saying but safeties and corners are different animals even when you label them as DBs. No matter how you slice it they are dangerously thin at CB and quality depth in a pass happy league. So taking draft capital out of the equation, you are telling me that you are comfortable with the CB depth that this team has? You are comfortable that if CBT, Turner, or Hilton go down with a significant injury that they depth that they currently have can pick up the slack? You obviously have far more confidence in Jalen Davis and Allan George than I do. 
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2024, 02:26 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I get what you are saying but safeties and corners are different animals even when you label them as DBs. No matter how you slice it they are dangerously thin at CB and quality depth in a pass happy league. So taking draft capital out of the equation, you are telling me that you are comfortable with the CB depth that this team has? You are comfortable that if CBT, Turner, or Hilton go down with a significant injury that they depth that they currently have can pick up the slack? You obviously have far more confidence in Jalen Davis and Allan George than I do. 

The unknown is Dax Hill. But I’m in agreement that CB could be the pick
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2024, 02:26 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I get what you are saying but safeties and corners are different animals even when you label them as DBs. No matter how you slice it they are dangerously thin at CB and quality depth in a pass happy league. So taking draft capital out of the equation, you are telling me that you are comfortable with the CB depth that this team has? You are comfortable that if CBT, Turner, or Hilton go down with a significant injury that they depth that they currently have can pick up the slack? You obviously have far more confidence in Jalen Davis and Allan George than I do. 

Thing is, with the Bell and Stone signings, Hill will probably be moving back to CB.  With Hilton, that leaves 2 starting jobs open and 2 1st's and 2 2nd's competing for those jobs.  And even after Hilton leaves, you've still got four guys competing for three jobs.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I really like Quinyon Mitchell as a player, my favorite Corner in this Draft, just doubt he will be there and think Terrion Arnold is more
likely to be there and Arnold played with Battle at Bama. Completely agree that you cannot lump Safeties/Slot Corners with Outside
Corners. Getting a top Corner is never a bad thing, they are cheap and sometimes are very good very soon at an extremely valuable
position in today's passing league.

As we all know now, Sweat is off the table in the 2nd round with his DUI and could be had much later now and I don't even know if
we would want him after this pathetically stupid move by Sweat.

Absolutely love the rest of the Draft OSUfan. Love Corley, love Fisher, love Stover, love Zinter (he might not be able to play this year
but he could be an All Pro down the road) love Nourzad, really love Tyrone Tracy this guy can play RB and WR and be a Returner has
all the moves the only reason he falls is he is older otherwise he is a top talent in this Draft.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2024, 02:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I really like Quinyon Mitchell as a player, my favorite Corner in this Draft, just doubt he will be there and think Terrion Arnold is more
likely to be there and Arnold played with Battle at Bama. Completely agree that you cannot lump Safeties/Slot Corners with Outside
Corners. Getting a top Corner is never a bad thing, they are cheap and sometimes are very good very soon at an extremely valuable
position in today's passing league.

As we all know now, Sweat is off the table in the 2nd round with his DUI and could be had much later now and I don't even know if
we would want him after this pathetically stupid move by Sweat.

Absolutely love the rest of the Draft OSUfan. Love Corley, love Fisher, love Stover, love Zinter (he might not be able to play this year
but he could be an All Pro down the road) love Nourzad, really love Tyrone Tracy this guy can play RB and WR and be a Returner has
all the moves the only reason he falls is he is older otherwise he is a top talent in this Draft.

Hadn’t seen ESPN’s mock but he indeed has Arnold to us.

18. Cincinnati Bengals

Terrion Arnold, CB, Alabama

After signing right tackle Trent Brown in free agency, the Bengals are cleared to address the defense in Round 1. Teaming Arnold up with DJ Turner, Cam Taylor-Britt and Mike Hilton gives Cincinnati's secondary a chance to compete with any team in the AFC. Arnold was a five-star safety prospect but made the move to cornerback, where he started for two seasons and collected six interceptions and 21 pass breakups. He also ran a 4.5-second 40-yard dash at 6-foot and 189 pounds, and he is feisty and physical at the line of scrimmage. In short, he has the skill set of a true CB1 and future Pro Bowler.

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2024, 08:50 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Hadn’t seen ESPN’s mock but he indeed has Arnold to us.

18. Cincinnati Bengals

Terrion Arnold, CB, Alabama

After signing right tackle Trent Brown in free agency, the Bengals are cleared to address the defense in Round 1. Teaming Arnold up with DJ Turner, Cam Taylor-Britt and Mike Hilton gives Cincinnati's secondary a chance to compete with any team in the AFC. Arnold was a five-star safety prospect but made the move to cornerback, where he started for two seasons and collected six interceptions and 21 pass breakups. He also ran a 4.5-second 40-yard dash at 6-foot and 189 pounds, and he is feisty and physical at the line of scrimmage. In short, he has the skill set of a true CB1 and future Pro Bowler.

Is Arnold good in Zone is my question? I know Mitchell is...

Heard Arnold is more of a Man corner, these are going by the wayside now a days.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2024, 08:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Is Arnold good in Zone is my question? I know Mitchell is...

Heard Arnold is more of a Man corner, these are going by the wayside now a days.

Well he is so that could factor

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2024, 02:41 PM)Whatever Wrote: Thing is, with the Bell and Stone signings, Hill will probably be moving back to CB.  With Hilton, that leaves 2 starting jobs open and 2 1st's and 2 2nd's competing for those jobs.  And even after Hilton leaves, you've still got four guys competing for three jobs.

The quality of those competing for those jobs is important as well.
Reply/Quote