Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coordinators just as important as Head Coach
I know everyone's looking to replace Zac Taylor and, I'm not saying I want him to stay on as Bengals HC, but I think we are all not realizing that Zac and Marvin Lewis have taught us a very important lesson: coordinators are just as important to a team's success as HC.

Marvin Lewis was a good coach, but our best seasons with him are when we had at least 1 good-to-great coordinator on either offense or defense.

Now, Lou might turn into a good coordinator now that he has some good players on d (then again, when we absolutely needed a stop in the 4th QTR, yesterday, we gave up a 1st down run to a rookie QB). But, clearly we need a new offensive playcaller.

So, yes, replace Zac Taylor if he and the team fails again this season, but more care needs to be taken to find the right coordinators.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 11:10 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I know everyone's looking to replace Zac Taylor and, I'm not saying I want him to stay on as Bengals HC, but I think we are all not realizing that Zac and Marvin Lewis have taught us a very important lesson: coordinators are just as important to a team's success as HC.

Marvin Lewis was a good coach, but our best seasons with him are when we had at least 1 good-to-great coordinator on either offense or defense.

Now, Lou might turn into a good coordinator now that he has some good players on d (then again, when we absolutely needed a stop in the 4th QTR, yesterday, we gave up a 1st down run to a rookie QB). But, clearly we need a new offensive playcaller.

So, yes, replace Zac Taylor if he and the team fails again this season, but more care needs to be taken to find the right coordinators.

main problem is Zac is his own OC   brian is here in title only.     Luo has become a good coordinator     Zac is still treading water with 50 pound ankle weights.
Reply/Quote
Well Zac doesn't think he needs one. So God willing, we will be in the market for a new HC and a new OC come January.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 11:20 AM)Big Boss Wrote: Well Zac doesn't think he needs one.  So God willing, we will be in the market for a new HC and a new OC come January.

Before then i hope (if his bad coaching continues)
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 11:18 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: main problem is Zac is his own OC   brian is here in title only.     Luo has become a good coordinator     Zac is still treading water with 50 pound ankle weights.

Yep, I think Zac has some of the traits to be a decent HC (players play hard for him even in a losing cause; he's built a pretty talented team), but he's already proven he's just not cut out to be an OC and his failure to realize that is what's going to prevent him from ever being successful as a HC.

IMO, his only hope of surviving past this season, is if he either A) magically turns into a great OC or B) turns over all playcalling to Callahan and if Callahan sucks, then resolves to find a new OC who will also call plays or C) the defense plays so well, we win games in spite of the offense. 

I can only see 1 of those actually happening.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 11:20 AM)Big Boss Wrote: Well Zac doesn't think he needs one.  So God willing, we will be in the market for a new HC and a new OC come January.

Sounds like a perfect fit for MIke "I don't think I need a GM" Brown.  Whatever
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 11:26 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Yep, I think Zac has some of the traits to be a decent HC (players play hard for him even in a losing cause; he's built a pretty talented team), but he's already proven he's just not cut out to be an OC and his failure to realize that is what's going to prevent him from ever being successful as a HC.

IMO, his only hope of surviving past this season, is if he either A) magically turns into a great OC or B) turns over all playcalling to Callahan and if Callahan sucks, then resolves to find a new OC who will also call plays or C) the defense plays so well, we win games in spite of the offense. 

I can only see 1 of those actually happening.

smart play is for him to give it to Brian so he has a scape goat at years end....   But we didnt get 6 wins in 2 years off his brains
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 11:27 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: smart play is for him to give it to Brian so he has a scape goat at years end....   But we didnt get 6 wins in 2 years off his brains

Maybe he's biding his time. If the offense ever actually performs well, he'll say at the start of the season it was Brian, but now that hte offense is humming it's him. It'd be such an asshole move
Reply/Quote