Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Fan Base
(01-22-2022, 12:19 PM)michaelsean Wrote: If the Bengals end up with bandwagon fane over the next couple of years I can go to my maker saying, “I’ve actually seen everything.”

I'm with you right there, from the moment they got their stripes.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2022, 11:51 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Let's face it....New England is a turd storm with a great coach, some aging vets, and a noodle arm QB.  They aren't cool or fun, and history be damned, people want a team that is fun to watch TODAY.

The steelers?  The pig has been sent to slaughter, and their talent is aging and their roster is merely adequate.  

The Browns?  They have a really good roster, but issues at QB and way too much drama has made them a frustrating team to root for.

The Colts?  A solid roster but how many kids see themselves running out and buying a Carson Wentz jersey?

The Lions?  In the words of Adam Schein, "Rebuilding since 1957".

The Bears?  Starting over, again, with new coach and GM.

The Titans?  A very solid team with a great coach.  QB might be their weakness against the elite teams (and secondary if the pass rush doesn't get home).  

What do all these teams have in common?  They are within about 300 miles of Cincinnati.  There are fans of these teams spread out all over.  Younger kids that play more fantasy football than cheer for a team.  The Bengals have miraculously become one of the most fun teams to watch and root for with a group of fun, energetic characters.  

If the Bengals win today, that fan base will continue to grow.  I am not going to be "get off my lawn" guy and say "no bandwagon fans", as I am actually thrilled to have more and more fans of our team!  When I was in Florida a couple weeks ago, I was amazed at the Bengals jerseys, t-shirts, etc. that I saw on people in town.  Not at the airport, but walking around in Fort Lauderdale.  Sure, that is a vacation town, but still....and people commented on my Bengal gear.

A win today, and this fan base grows even larger.

For sure, I have already been seeing more Bengal fans here in Wyoming for heck sake where I never have.

All Steeler and Bronco fans around here before with a Seahawk fan here and there.
Reply/Quote
I live between Cleveland and Pittsburgh so I doubt I'll see any fans here, but I'm ready to start having to look down on new fans for not sitting through the Akili Smith/Scott Mitchell season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Hey y’all! I am a Raven at heart, but I just wanted to say I have mad respect for the heart your team shows week in and week out, and I’m very impressed how well your franchise has built itself back up to elite status. I have loved Joe Burrow/Ja’Marr Chase since their LSU days. Hopefully I’m welcome here despite us being rivals, and our rivalry likely picking up in coming years…. I was lurking for quite some time and decided to finally sign up and post tonight. Much love, Sizzle
Reply/Quote
I get it but I will be mad if I start seeing people out here in So Cal wearing Bengals gear. They have been few and far between. I had to put up with all of the crap talk from people for decades out here so no bandwagoners will be welcomed by me!
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2022, 10:11 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: I get it but I will be mad if I start seeing people out here in So Cal wearing Bengals gear. They have been few and far between.  I had to put up with all of the crap talk from people for decades out here so no bandwagoners will be welcomed by me!

That's what happens when you win.  Burrow can win multiple SBs and when he throws an INT there are going to be a thousand people calling him a bum and demanding that his backup take over.

I have friends who are reasonable Steelers fans, and recall them trying to explain to other "Steelers fans" during the 08 season that benching Ben for Leftwich wasn't "just what the team needed."  Hell, I know a dude who even AFTER the Steelers won the SB in 08 wouldn't admit that Ben was better than Leftwich.

Half-assed fans are the worst, but when you don't get the glory without having to wade through them.  So it goes. 
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2022, 10:03 PM)Sizzle Wrote: Hey y’all! I am a Raven at heart, but I just wanted to say I have mad respect for the heart your team shows week in and week out, and I’m very impressed how well your franchise has built itself back up to elite status. I have loved Joe Burrow/Ja’Marr Chase since their LSU days. Hopefully I’m welcome here despite us being rivals, and our rivalry likely picking up in coming years…. I was lurking for quite some time and decided to finally sign up and post tonight. Much love, Sizzle

Hey, I gave you 1 rep point for being a classy Raven fan. Stay classy.

We are the new Kings of the North and hopefully SB Champs come February. Rock On
Reply/Quote
Almost 1,800 people on the board right now. Wonder how many are 'new fans'?  Hmm
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2022, 10:27 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Almost 1,800 people on the board right now. Wonder how many are 'new fans'?  Hmm

Is this the record?

We just broke another record today winning our first ever Playoff game on the road....

Many more records to break. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2022, 09:49 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I live between Cleveland and Pittsburgh so I doubt I'll see any fans here, but I'm ready to start having to look down on new fans for not sitting through the Akili Smith/Scott Mitchell season.

If there are any 13 year old boys with a computer, there will be more Bengals fans.  I think the vibe of this team is contagious.  That, and Kay Adams loving them....
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2022, 10:31 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: If there are any 13 year old boys with a computer, there will be more Bengals fans.  I think the vibe of this team is contagious.  That, and Kay Adams loving them....

And Nickelodeon with Burrow and Uzo. Uzo recently had a interview on Nickelodeon. Slimed Burrow as well.

Not my game as I am a heavy adult but I see kids starting to like our stripes. Wink
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2022, 10:17 PM)Nately120 Wrote: That's what happens when you win.  Burrow can win multiple SBs and when he throws an INT there are going to be a thousand people calling him a bum and demanding that his backup take over.

I have friends who are reasonable Steelers fans, and recall them trying to explain to other "Steelers fans" during the 08 season that benching Ben for Leftwich wasn't "just what the team needed."  Hell, I know a dude who even AFTER the Steelers won the SB in 08 wouldn't admit that Ben was better than Leftwich.

Half-assed fans are the worst, but when you don't get the glory without having to wade through them.  So it goes. 

I get what you’re saying but full disclosure - I called Burrow an idiot in the GD thread for not throwing the ball away.

However I would never say that he should be benched for Allen.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2022, 10:47 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: I get what you’re saying but full disclosure - I called Burrow an idiot in the GD thread for not throwing the ball away.

However I would never say that he should be benched for Allen.

Burrow is still learning...

Its all good and we are in the AFC Championship. Rock On
Reply/Quote
I know for sure they've picked up a lot of fans last few weeks. I'm in SC and anytime I wear my Boomer or Dillon authentic jerseys I occasionally get comments like sweet jersey and stuff like that. Here the last few weeks people have said more like yesterday I walked into the store and a guy up front immediately said who dey then in same store same trip guy comes up out of nowhere tells me he's a Buc fan, then goes on and says he's never met a Bengals fan his entire life and that he's rooting for us to make the Super Bowl against the Bucs. Said how much he loves Burrow, Chase and him being a Clemson fan Reader and Higgins. On way home stopped to get some gas and lady inside running register said "OMG go Bengals" then proceeded to tell me she was from Cincy when she moved etc. Given she wasn't a huge fan because she didn't really know many players names or anything but it still wasn't a normal occurrence.

Couple weeks back, I think after the KC game I was at wal mart grabbing groceries and another guy came up talking about how he was a Bengals fan and all as well, so even if they aren't "new fans" it's still making casual
fans and others speak up about it more often.

All of them knew and spoke about Burrow though, even the lady at the gas station knew about him so it's safe to say that Burrow has brought a ton of new fans with him. Kid just oozes pheromones or something that makes everyone love him. Another big reason is as the Bucs fan said is they're an exciting and fun team to watch. Winning I'm sure has a big part in it as well but I couldn't tell you how much since last playoff game they won I was 11 and I'm now 42.

1 things for sure though, being from Delaware, living there since I was 5, til the last 4 or so years living in SC and being a Bengal fan since 1st time I saw their helmets and uniform and could grasp what football was, I've never had that many people comment about liking or rooting for the Bengals.

I'm thinking the new unis helped some as well because they are some really good looking uniforms. Hopefully soon enough I'll be able to save up enough cash to grab me a new one. Times have been rough lately, but these 2 playoff wins and a trip to the AFC championship game definitely make em a little easier to deal with. Still can't believe it. Somehow it's been so long but still feels like yesterday at the same time that I was 9 or 10 crying when John Taylor, who by the way went to high-school right down the road from where I lived in Delaware caught the Super Bowl 23 winner with 34 seconds left. What a great day to be a Bengals fan. Who Dey baby!
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2022, 11:10 PM)StripesEarned Wrote: I know for sure they've picked up a lot of fans last few weeks. I'm in SC and anytime I wear my Boomer or Dillon authentic jerseys I occasionally get comments like sweet jersey and stuff like that. Here the last few weeks people have said more like yesterday I walked into the store and a guy up front immediately said who dey then in same store same trip guy comes up out of nowhere tells me he's a Buc fan, then goes on and says he's never met a Bengals fan his entire life and that he's rooting for us to make the Super Bowl against the Bucs. Said how much he loves Burrow, Chase and him being a Clemson fan Reader and Higgins. On way home stopped to get some gas and lady inside running register said "OMG go Bengals" then proceeded to tell me she was from Cincy when she moved etc. Given she wasn't a huge fan because she didn't really know many players names or anything but it still wasn't a normal occurrence.

Couple weeks back, I think after the KC game I was at wal mart grabbing groceries and another guy came up talking about how he was a Bengals fan and all as well, so even if they aren't "new fans" it's still making casual
fans and others speak up about it more often.

All of them knew and spoke about Burrow though, even the lady at the gas station knew about him so it's safe to say that Burrow has brought a ton of new fans with him. Kid just oozes pheromones or something that makes everyone love him. Another big reason is as the Bucs fan said is they're an exciting and fun team to watch. Winning I'm sure has a big part in it as well but I couldn't tell you how much since last playoff game they won I was 11 and I'm now 42.

1 things for sure though, being from Delaware, living there since I was 5, til the last 4 or so years living in SC and being a Bengal fan since 1st time I saw their helmets and uniform and could grasp what football was, I've never had that many people comment about liking or rooting for the Bengals.

I'm thinking the new unis helped some as well because they are some really good looking uniforms. Hopefully soon enough I'll be able to save up enough cash to grab me a new one. Times have been rough lately, but these 2 playoff wins and a trip to the AFC championship game definitely make em a little easier to deal with. Still can't believe it. Somehow it's been so long but still feels like yesterday at the same time that I was 9 or 10 crying when John Taylor, who by the way went to high-school right down the road from where I lived in Delaware caught the Super Bowl 23 winner with 34 seconds left. What a great day to be a Bengals fan. Who Dey baby!

Great post. Thanks for this, icing on the cake! Rock On
Reply/Quote
At one point, shortly after the game, I noticed over 1,000 people on this site between the gameday thread and jungle noise. What a difference from past weeks and past years.

I am so glad that this site was created by some posters after the original one on bengals.com was taken down.
Reply/Quote
For the first time ever I am getting messages from other people after we play, so the awareness of the Bengals has at least increased here in Australia.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2022, 02:34 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The Steelers have been spiraling down now last 4 years or so. I could see a mass exodus from that wagon coming soon.

Some other good news on that front today. The Stoolers just promoted Teryl Austin to defensive coordinator. We all know how good that guy is when it comes to coordinating defenses.

What an amazing Saturday to be a Bengals fan.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2022, 10:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: And Nickelodeon with Burrow and Uzo. Uzo recently had a interview on Nickelodeon. Slimed Burrow as well.

Not my game as I am a heavy adult but I see kids starting to like our stripes. Wink

Exactly!  Great point!  The Nickelodeon broadcast is actually crazy entertaining as I watched it one time.  Love Nate Burleson and it isn't a bunch of has-beens pontificating and passing along tired story lines (The Bengals haven't won a game on Monday below 20 degrees since the medieval times) but just having fun and talking about plays and scores.

I don't give the NFL credit for much, but their partnership with Nick was brilliant, and Nate is the right man for the job.  
Reply/Quote